Power steering rack slip

Turbolab

First Name
Jie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mk5 Nsx
Wanted to add to the pool that I recently was diagnosed with a slipped Steering rack belt. 2020 with 9,200 miles. My abs ecu failed when I unsuccessfully tried launch control. I believe we slipped the belt trying to man handle the steering pulling it in shop. Talked with the Supra tech for quite awhile and he was told in training that they have seen this failure a few times. Most notably was when securing car on Dyno and trying to center car with steering when roller turning . Part numbers for rack attached

3D12927A-AD28-454F-87F9-2190593A86A4.jpeg

8210A50E-13E3-4FE0-9D33-9A067D87425F.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP

Turbolab

First Name
Jie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mk5 Nsx
Ok, since I haven't seen a write up I'll give basic info. First off the rack has a small Gilmer belt inside it that assists the manual rack. They are independent if each other so if belt fails you still have unassisted steering, not death. The large brushless motor has a position sensor in it(verified it has over 900 degrees readable travel) that is used for various things including lane control and assists. What I think happened on my car was we pushed it into shop for abs dme failure and I turned key on while cranking on wheel. This caused the pinion angle to slip to -200. Dealer said I needed new rack but decided I'd try to repair. The repair is simple if you have a lift and you need a scan tool that will read pinion angle. View pinion live data to see where it at first(should be significantly off) With vehicle in air Pull lower aluminum panel. Locate 3 torx holding in electrical unit and remove them. Ignition on and with wheels straight , pull unit out while looking at scanner and reinstall as close to zero as you can. Tighten screws and you should be good to go. The whole process took me 1.3 hours . My car required a dealer trip because we cleared ps data that reset the zero point reference . Hopefully this helps someone from spending 3k for a slipped belt.

Attachments

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
All that because you moved the steering wheel while pushing the car? I've done that in almost every single car I have owned with zero issues.

Why is it so fragile? Seems odd.

OP
OP

Turbolab

First Name
Jie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mk5 Nsx
That's the only thing we can come up with. Was working normally with no steering fault till we pushed it in . Perhaps something else but the bmw...er Toyota tech said these racks are a known problem at time of his training. Fragile was the word he used.

NickGreyA90

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 supra 3.0
Hey man can you describe the symptoms of the slipped eps belt? I'm having a hell of ⌚ figuring out what's up with my car. Had full spl put on and springs. 1st shop screwed it up, second shop fixed it all but ever since play at dead center on the wheel. So when I'm driving the car wanders a bit, and when the tyranny shifts it likes to veer off. Also car is unstable at higher speeds. I also have a vibration that comes in at 55ish, peaks at 63ish and back to smooth as glass by 70. Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored