sup.dc2

sup.dc2

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mk5mt. DC2. T4R. e46
It would be interesting to data log your laps and videos and study them to improve, at some point I'm going to do that myself. I haven't done any research on what equipment is required to do that, last time I looked into it was over 10 years ago and technology has come a long way since then haha. I've seen some videos from Grassroots Motorsports where they do time synced overlays with video and track maps to study the laps and where time can be improved.

Good stuff, glad to see someone with a MT MKV on the track having a good time!! I have to get out there!
Thanks man! We should go at least once. Had an awesome learning experience. I been looking into the Garmin Catalyst for lap times and telemetry. I see that your local to me, my buddy and his group is hosting Big Willow again on Nov 5th with FastLane trackdays. DM me if you wanna go!
Sponsored

OP
OP
sup.dc2

sup.dc2

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mk5mt. DC2. T4R. e46
Yesterday was the complimentary GR Trackday Experience in my region hosted by NASAsocal at Buttonwillow CA. We ran the 25CCW configuration. Scorching 90 degree plus temps but all the fluids stayed in their optimal ranges. Same couldn't be said for the tires and brakes as they were hurting. Sharing the track with (mostly) fellow GR owners was great. the corolla's hung in there with their power and the 86's were diving into corners faster, but ofcourse the Supras in attendance paced the faster times.

Brakes were dead after slowing down from 130 on the back straight, spent the rest of the lap dropping entry speeds.

IMG_7907.jpeg

IMG_7896.jpeg

71840451493__A8667B02-B242-471E-B415-7995E1CB6609.jpeg

Last edited:

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I can only imagine what better parts do for this car! As a driver though I'm still not maximizing factory stuff so I'm waiting til i get at least a little bit faster.

I think as some point alot of us here had a golden era Honda lol. The dc2 being my favorite i was able to pick one up off my friend who had it since highschool. It currently sit's waiting for my tuner to free up to dial in the h/c B20v i stuffed in it. It's going to be a hoot.
Factory parts are fine unless they become a liability. Brake pads and fluid are required, at a minimum, IMO. Especially when someone is learning as it's harder when you can only drive one or two laps then have to let everything cool down. That and newer drivers tend to not be as efficient with brakes so may have some extra heat in them.
As for DC2s, I started doing track days in a 2001 Type R. It was such a great car. I remember surprising the instructor I had, on my first day:
"Okay... you're going to want to brake here. Brake... You need to brake MORE. The car will never make the tu-..... oh... I've never seen a front wheel drive car do that before". šŸ˜‚
Type R.jpg

djmad

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23ā€™ Supra MT, 07ā€™ 328i MT, 20ā€™ Civic AT
Yesterday was the complimentary GR Trackday Experience in my region hosted by NASAsocal at Buttonwillow CA. We ran the 25CCW configuration. Scorching 90 degree plus temps but all the fluids stayed in their optimal ranges. Same couldn't be said for the tires and brakes as they were hurting. Sharing the track with (mostly) fellow GR owners was great. the corolla's hung in there with their power and the 86's were diving into corners faster, but ofcourse the Supras in attendance paced the faster times.

Brakes were dead after slowing down from 130 on the back straight, spent the rest of the lap dropping entry speeds.

IMG_7907.jpeg

IMG_7896.jpeg

Getting me hyped to take mine out at the end this month!

AndyK5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Nitro Yellow MT

IMG_7907.jpeg

IMG_7896.jpeg

I was there on Friday for Open test, same 25 CCW configuration...which is a dumb configuration to be honest....it feels like NASCAR and does not have soul of 13CW. Also entry to star mazda turn in reverse is uber tricky. Anyways yes back straight is 130mph and there is dip right at the braking zone so its super hard on brakes. I had brand new DCT 60 Hawks on with Endless fluid and I might have warped my rotors a tad there as I am getting high speed steering wheel shake under braking.

Looks like your stock tires wore really well....Like they still look new + a heat cycle here and there. Were you driving at a high pace keeping up with tracks fast guys or more mid/low level.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I was there on Friday for Open test, same 25 CCW configuration...which is a dumb configuration to be honest....it feels like NASCAR and does not have soul of 13CW. Also entry to star mazda turn in reverse is uber tricky. Anyways yes back straight is 130mph and there is dip right at the braking zone so its super hard on brakes. I had brand new DCT 60 Hawks on with Endless fluid and I might have warped my rotors a tad there as I am getting high speed steering wheel shake under braking.

Looks like your stock tires wore really well....Like they still look new + a heat cycle here and there. Were you driving at a high pace keeping up with tracks fast guys or more mid/low level.
Modern rotors don't warp. Just sand the pad material off and make sure they're broken and better next time šŸ‘šŸ»šŸ¤˜šŸ¼
Have you done CW 13? That is a fun configuration. It is about 300% more technical than driving clockwise. You really have to have a game plan to run it that way. It's all so slightly intimidating, especially the esses you mention, going into Sweeper. Going in full tilt and having to slow yourself down in between the turns was a kick in the ass.
Then there's the dip before Grapevine that you also mention. I found that I can brake way late, as I hit the dip, due to the extra grip. I made up a lot of time there.
It is a fun, FUN configuration.

OP
OP
sup.dc2

sup.dc2

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mk5mt. DC2. T4R. e46
Factory parts are fine unless they become a liability. Brake pads and fluid are required, at a minimum, IMO. Especially when someone is learning as it's harder when you can only drive one or two laps then have to let everything cool down. That and newer drivers tend to not be as efficient with brakes so may have some extra heat in them.
oh man, she's beautiful!
my dc2 is only the GSR chassis, so no seamless chassis welds for me. i'll be deleting my sunroof though lol.

If my supra see's the track again i'll forsure change out the brake pads and fluid. tires will of course be getting upgraded

Getting me hyped to take mine out at the end this month!
I'm excited for you! take some videos and pictures. great for tracking your progress along the way.

i ran 13CW once before and my first time at 25CCW. I actually kind of like the 25CCW. gave me the streets of willow vibe just with longer straights. 13CW my first time was confusing. i watched countless videos of 13cw's turn by turn and still forgot which corner went where lol it was a mess. For Mazda turn i was apexing early and going wide. especially slowing down from the esses trying to keep the back from losing it was a challege finding the sweet spot of that turn. also, if you send it too hard in CCW at phil hill i dont think it will be crazy of an off as going in CW. I wouldn't be against running this config again in the future.

man i hope so, only have 3k miles on the car lol. I signed up for the HPDE 2 run group out of HPDE 1 and Intro so one of the faster ones in the group. not saying much since much of everyone else there has never been on a track before. the high temps of the day really contributed to the tire punishment.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
oh man, she's beautiful!
my dc2 is only the GSR chassis, so no seamless chassis welds for me. i'll be deleting my sunroof though lol.
GSRs are the best. Reasonably priced and most of the performance. I had one before the R and it is still my favorite daily driver of anything I've owned.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
I started digging but my head was spinning by page 9. I wish I could sit one of the resident track monsters down and have them spell it out with crayons over juice boxes.

I keep putting off the track because Iā€™m so damn nervous.
Nothing to sweat driving with a major group at a HPDE event. Most people assume itā€™s racing and itā€™s far from it. You go to have fun and learn. You know if you donā€™t have self control or wonā€™t listen to instruction. If thatā€™s the case, then you should worry. Youā€™d literally have to ignore the person next to you and not listen. Unfortunately there are some people out there like that. Those people will get black flagged, talked to, and likely get kicked off the track.

My 1st event was in a Mazda RX8 at PCA (Porsche Club of America) in Sebring. Went with a buddy who had a 911. I was scared shitless šŸ˜‚ Luckily, heā€™s pushy as hell. I canā€™t thank him enough for riding my ass and getting me out there. Not much has changed since then. They are really safe as long as you follow the rules.

You bought a Supra šŸ˜ƒ Go have fun and use that free track day!

https://gr.drivenasa.com

100% bone dead stock. Factory Michelin PSS aired down to 30psi squared. Factory brake fluid, pads and all. only exception was an oil change and made the move up to liquimoly 5w-40. Even i couldnā€™t believe myself what this car can do in stock form.
So glad youā€™re getting the most out of her & keeping it simple. She doesnā€™t need much. Thatā€˜s for sure!

AndyK5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Nitro Yellow MT
Modern rotors don't warp. Just sand the pad material off and make sure they're broken and better next time šŸ‘šŸ»šŸ¤˜šŸ¼
Have you done CW 13? That is a fun configuration. It is about 300% more technical than driving clockwise. You really have to have a game plan to run it that way. It's all so slightly intimidating, especially the esses you mention, going into Sweeper. Going in full tilt and having to slow yourself down in between the turns was a kick in the ass.
Then there's the dip before Grapevine that you also mention. I found that I can brake way late, as I hit the dip, due to the extra grip. I made up a lot of time there.
It is a fun, FUN configuration.

I did 13CW a whole bunch, super technical and you can lose a lot of time due to bad line selection through cotton corners and not hopping over the apex at truck stop in to riversideā€¦or early apexing in to turn 1. Its actually a nightmare to run perfectly. Iā€™ll be there on the 22nd with a group.

Iā€™ll try the disc sand idea and report.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I did 13CW a whole bunch, super technical and you can lose a lot of time due to bad line selection through cotton corners and not hopping over the apex at truck stop in to riversideā€¦or early apexing in to turn 1. Its actually a nightmare to run perfectly. Iā€™ll be there on the 22nd with a group.

Iā€™ll try the disc sand idea and report.
Crap. I typed 13CCW and it autocorrected to CW13 haha.
Have you done CCW? I like CW13 because I can compare lap times to everyone but CCW is tough.

AndyK5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Nitro Yellow MT
Crap. I typed 13CCW and it autocorrected to CW13 haha.
Have you done CCW? I like CW13 because I can compare lap times to everyone but CCW is tough.
Well 25 CCW is very similar to 13 CCW. I've only done 13 CCW on motorcyles...like 15 years ago. Almost died on Turn 1 (sunset for CW13) by missing my brake marker.

I think CW13 is harder because late brake/late apex sunrise, 85mph apex cut bus stop, 102mph riverside, early throttle phill hill, no lift last S all need a massive set of balls to be run fast, bowl, cotton corner entry and sweeper exit are tricky/technical to be fast on as well.

On CCW phil hill and cotton corner entry are simplified but bowl requires like what it feels like a 4 second straight trail brake which is pretty long for ametaur drivers like us.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Well 25 CCW is very similar to 13 CCW. I've only done 13 CCW on motorcyles...like 15 years ago. Almost died on Turn 1 (sunset for CW13) by missing my brake marker.

I think CW13 is harder because late brake/late apex sunrise, 85mph apex cut bus stop, 102mph riverside, early throttle phill hill, no lift last S all need a massive set of balls to be run fast, bowl, cotton corner entry and sweeper exit are tricky/technical to be fast on as well.

On CCW phil hill and cotton corner entry are simplified but bowl requires like what it feels like a 4 second straight trail brake which is pretty long for ametaur drivers like us.
Ah, yeah. I drive those areas a bit different. šŸ˜ maybe I've just driven it so much it seems normal to me. I've been running 13CW for about 16yrs. I.E. if I'm not sliding down Phil Hill, right into the apex of the slight left, then I know something's wrong. Lol
CCW took some serious thought, planning, and experimentation for me.
It's possible I used to get tripped up on CW, back in the day (my memory isn't what it used to be, so details are a bit fuzzy).

OP
OP
sup.dc2

sup.dc2

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mk5mt. DC2. T4R. e46
So glad youā€™re getting the most out of her & keeping it simple. She doesnā€™t need much. Thatā€˜s for sure!
Thanks! :headbang:

102 at Riverside holy crap. i barely touched 80. I got some ways to go. and after a 4 second trail brake im ass backwards into the dirt lol.

Is everyone running with traction control full off or half?
Sponsored