Formula 1 Talk

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
In a lot of ways I think Checo got caught up in the moment. He started 5th but everyone in front of him besides Max had a poor start and he saw an opening. Maybe he thought that Charles would back out but that never happened. There is no other race where the fans at the race are as passionate about one driver than the Mexico GP and Checo. Obviously this was his fault and there will always be a "what could have been" moment. He easily could have backed out a bit and been 3rd, likely taking over second place when DRS became enabled. I don't think he would have caught Max, but a podium at this race would have really done wonders.

Lewis and the team did a great job with their strategy and I was really expecting the mediums to drop off a cliff at some point but that never seemed to materialize. I was especially worried about Lando as he was racing especially hard on those mediums.

Speaking of Lando, a very very unlucky weekend. First the yellow flag in qualifying taking him out, then the restart of the race/red flag didn't do him any favors. But unlike someone like Yuki, Checo, etc, he just took it in stride and made the best of the situation. How can anyone not like how this kid races and approaches the sport. If he can get a team and car that is championship level, he will be a champion someday. Do I think that's at RB, well it would be right now, but next year, the year after, who knows. He's committed to McLaren and they certainly are doing a lot to appease him with the upgrades and having a driver next to him that pushes him.

Last thing that I'll say, Danny Ric, the Honey Badger, so very happy for him. That smile was so missed at the beginning of the season (and really the last year). He's a great guy and I hope he can stick around and have some success before he ages out of the sport.
Well said! Fully agree on Ricardo and Norris. But… lol, Checo has used up his 9 lives. He’s looking more and more like Lance Stroll. Hell, they got rid of Nyck de Vries like a hotcake for not living up to F1 standards. Checo must still have some strong $$$ Mexican backing. It got him there in the 1st place and kept him at Force India (or whatever they were called). But time to go. Would Ricardo come back? They kept saying the seat that Danny wants, he needs to prove his worth to RB this race. Well, I think he did.

I do appreciate your positivity. I’m usually that way but this is insane to me. They could put Lance in there and get the same or better results. Hell, maybe even hot headed Yuki. I think those are the bottom 3 drivers just because of their lack of discipline and/or crash history this season. Time to make a change. Quickly! Nyck de Vries style
Sponsored

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Yuki drove a great race though. He was only 3 seconds or so behind Ric even though he started way behind. If he hadn't messed it up passing Piastri, he'd have been driver of the day for me.
In Mexico the AT just worked REALLY well.
Let's see how they do in Brazil. Similar altitude, so will be interesting.

johnnyskids

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Si
Well said! Fully agree on Ricardo and Norris. But… lol, Checo has used up his 9 lives. He’s looking more and more like Lance Stroll. Hell, they got rid of Nyck de Vries like a hotcake for not living up to F1 standards. Checo must still have some strong $$$ Mexican backing. It got him there in the 1st place and kept him at Force India (or whatever they were called). But time to go. Would Ricardo come back? They kept saying the seat that Danny wants, he needs to prove his worth to RB this race. Well, I think he did.

I do appreciate your positivity. I’m usually that way but this is insane to me. They could put Lance in there and get the same or better results. Hell, maybe even hot headed Yuki. I think those are the bottom 3 drivers just because of their lack of discipline and/or crash history this season. Time to make a change. Quickly! Nyck de Vries style
To my eyes the worst drivers are/were Nyck de Vries, Logan Sargent, Lance Stroll, Kevin Mag. I don't have Checo in the worst group.

I don't know how long Checo will be staying with RB, his contract is good for next season but if the top teams are challenging RB next season they'll have to get someone a lot more consistent and have the ability to at least be closer to the front of the pack. It's too bad you couldn't demote Checo to Alfa T and have Danny at RB.

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
Have to feel bad for Checo; got hard done, but too aggressive turning in. It's his home race, but he forgot races aren't won at Turn 1.

Yuki with a good recovery drive, but his temperament is his downfall. Got way too greedy with his move and cost the team points. Maybe he could've held off Lando a bit longer and saved Ricciardo 6th place.

Lando with another impressive drive. Best for him to stay at McLaren as the lead driver. It seems like they'll be in contention for race wins in 2024.

Tough to see Alonso with the Aston nowadays. Sucks that train has derailed.

Ferrari -- better left unsaid. Very little of that qualifying pace showed up in the race.

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Absolute Zero Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2015 GTI
Anyone else think the Alonso to Red Bull rumors have any weight? Seems a little too off the mark. Daniel, Yuki, or even Lando strike me as more obvious choices.

I used to just make fun of these rumors but too many ended up true lol

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Anyone else think the Alonso to Red Bull rumors have any weight? Seems a little too off the mark. Daniel, Yuki, or even Lando strike me as more obvious choices.

I would love to see it happen, but I can't see it. They have too many drivers in their stable already. Red Bull keep saying Checo is a Red Bull driver, but that can easily mean he's in an AT next season, as we've seen with Kvyat, Albon, Gasly and Ric. The ONLY reason that hasn't happened yet is because that would definitely lose them P2 in the standings.
I expect Ric in the Red Bull next season, an outside chance of Yuki, and if Checo flat out retires, Lawson next to whoever doesn't get the RBR seat.

Burgerman

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 3.0 Prem,

No way. Not with the way Danny Ric has shown his form Yes one race does not count, but Alonso will never put up with Max (anyone remember 2008?). Yuki is getting better but is no Riciardo and Lando is riding faster under Zac’s care. He knows that he would be a shadow at RB. #3 is the obvious choice. FYI the number 3 is the number of his favorite NASCAR driver, DE.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
No way. Not with the way Danny Ric has shown his form Yes one race does not count, but Alonso will never put up with Max (anyone remember 2008?). Yuki is getting better but is no Riciardo and Lando is riding faster under Zac’s care. He knows that he would be a shadow at RB. #3 is the obvious choice. FYI the number 3 is the number of his favorite NASCAR driver, DE.
Think you mean 2007 lol. And how would you feel if you were a 2 time champion and your own team principal had the team work against you for some rookie? If Dennis had backed Alonso, they'd have won the championship, not Raikkonen. For a "longtime" fan, you sure have your facts wrong lol.
Alonso and Max are good friends. It would be a completely different dynamic because of that alone. Plus what RBR is being accused of doing to Perez, McLaren actually did.

Burgerman

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 3.0 Prem,
Yeah a long time (1983)and I was citing that season from memory , not Google. I believe Ron was wrong to not back Alonso but he was also looking out for his hand-picked star of the future who he guided through McLaren’s junior program. I still think Alonso is a brilliant driver who would have had more that two titles had he not made some unfortunate decisions when it comes to teams. Regardless of his friendship with Max, they would mix like oil and water on track because both a such strong competitor s. RBR always get the same criticism about picking favorites. Checo is one of many. Whether there is any merit to it depends on who’s going to talk about it. It’s a very hard thing to prove. I did hear it was the reason Ricciardo left in the first place.
I think he would be a good choice for the #2 spot at RBR.
Thoughts about this suggestion?

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah a long time (1983)and I was citing that season from memory , not Google. I believe Ron was wrong to not back Alonso but he was also looking out for his hand-picked star of the future who he guided through McLaren’s junior program. I still think Alonso is a brilliant driver who would have had more that two titles had he not made some unfortunate decisions when it comes to teams. Regardless of his friendship with Max, they would mix like oil and water on track because both a such strong competitor s. RBR always get the same criticism about picking favorites. Checo is one of many. Whether there is any merit to it depends on who’s going to talk about it. It’s a very hard thing to prove. I did hear it was the reason Ricciardo left in the first place.
I think he would be a good choice for the #2 spot at RBR.
Thoughts about this suggestion?
Ric left because he saw the writing on the wall. Even though Ric did technically beat Max the one season (I don't count half a season) Max was always ahead of Ric when he had to retire. Their third season together (second full season) Max absolutely dominated even with Ric's higher dnf rate.
Ric saw coming what we know now. That Max is an absolute beast. Ric was hoping Renault could build a better car/engine and it didn't happen. He took a gamble and lost. 18 year old Max and Ric were fairly close in performance, but 26 year old Max is unbeatable by anyone on the grid. I think you'd need a Ferrari Schumacher or McLaren Senna to do it.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I remember 2007…

IMG_2257.jpeg
2007 was unreal. Besides the McLaren driver drama, Spygate was happening at the same time. McLaren was having a baaaaad year lol. Ferrari's first year without Schumacher. It was crazy. Ferrari got both titles gifted to them by Mclaren's infighting and losing their constructors points because of Spygate.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Ric left because he saw the writing on the wall. Even though Ric did technically beat Max the one season (I don't count half a season) Max was always ahead of Ric when he had to retire. Their third season together (second full season) Max absolutely dominated even with Ric's higher dnf rate.
Ric saw coming what we know now. That Max is an absolute beast. Ric was hoping Renault could build a better car/engine and it didn't happen. He took a gamble and lost. 18 year old Max and Ric were fairly close in performance, but 26 year old Max is unbeatable by anyone on the grid. I think you'd need a Ferrari Schumacher or McLaren Senna to do it.
Wife wanted to watch the old drive to survive series again 🤦🏼‍♂️ We’re up to the 2020 season. Having Covid flashbacks. But I will say, it’s interesting listening to Christian Horner talk about Max, knowing what we all do now. He kept saying he hasn’t seen anyone like him. Unless Netflix went back and edited it, Christian was obsessed with Max. He was also able to sort out the noise and use self reasoning with Covid better than others. Williams was ready for any excuse to wrap themselves up in bubble wrap. Lewis saw a PR opportunity and jumped all over it - biggest proponent to stop racing. Maybe he could see Max rising as well?

Just mentioning it because it really showcased Christian’s tenacity in the sport and his resolve. He’s by far the best principle imo. What a class act and he sure seemed to have the foresight to speak so boldly of Max (at least in the Netflix series interviews).

No more Checo bashing. I’ll save that for the English Mohawk guy. Reminds me to lookup and see if he has another video out. Love that guy! 😂
Sponsored