Fuel Recommended by BMW

65sohc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
65 GTO, 69 Corvette, 65 Corvette 427, 23 Corvette
Here is something that surprised me. BMW has been recommending E25 fuel since 2014. It is in the owner's manual.
Sponsored

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
I am guilty of not reading owners manuals.. unless needed. Thankfully 93 octane with max 10% ethanol appears to work okay in my Supra.

MyCorolla

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ICE
From the US Supra Owner’s Manual, pages 295-297:

Gasoline

General information

For the best fuel efficiency, the gasoline should be sulfur-free or very low in sulfur content. Fuels that are marked on the gas pump as containing metal must not be used. Fuels with a maximum ethanol content of 25 %, i. e. E10 or E25, may be used for refueling. Ethanol should meet the follow- ing quality standards:
US: ASTM 4806–xx CAN: CGSB-3.511–xx
xx: comply with the current standard in each case.

WARNING
The use of poor-quality fuels may result in harmful engine deposits or damage. Additionally, problems relating to drivability, starting and stalling, especially under certain environmental conditions such as high ambient temperature and high altitude, may occur. If drivability problems are encountered, we recommend switching to a high quality gasoline brand and a higher octane grade - AKI number - for a few tank fills. To avoid harmful engine deposits, it is highly recommended to purchase gasoline from Top Tier retailers. Failure to comply with these recommendations may result in the need for unscheduled maintenance.

Recommended fuel grade
Toyota recommends AKI 91.
Refuel with this gasoline to achieve the rated performance and consumption values.

Minimum fuel grade
Toyota recommends AKI 89.
If you use gasoline with this minimum AKI Rating, the engine may produce knocking sounds when starting at high external temperatures. This has no effect on the engine life.

Retrocade

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 premium
From the US Supra Owner’s Manual, pages 295-297:

Gasoline

General information

For the best fuel efficiency, the gasoline should be sulfur-free or very low in sulfur content. Fuels that are marked on the gas pump as containing metal must not be used. Fuels with a maximum ethanol content of 25 %, i. e. E10 or E25, may be used for refueling. Ethanol should meet the follow- ing quality standards:
US: ASTM 4806–xx CAN: CGSB-3.511–xx
xx: comply with the current standard in each case.

WARNING
The use of poor-quality fuels may result in harmful engine deposits or damage. Additionally, problems relating to drivability, starting and stalling, especially under certain environmental conditions such as high ambient temperature and high altitude, may occur. If drivability problems are encountered, we recommend switching to a high quality gasoline brand and a higher octane grade - AKI number - for a few tank fills. To avoid harmful engine deposits, it is highly recommended to purchase gasoline from Top Tier retailers. Failure to comply with these recommendations may result in the need for unscheduled maintenance.

Recommended fuel grade
Toyota recommends AKI 91.
Refuel with this gasoline to achieve the rated performance and consumption values.

Minimum fuel grade
Toyota recommends AKI 89.
If you use gasoline with this minimum AKI Rating, the engine may produce knocking sounds when starting at high external temperatures. This has no effect on the engine life.
My 2021 manual does not say any of this it just says use 93 for best performance. is what you posted from a 2020?

OP
OP

65sohc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My point in starting this thread was to inform people that e25 is perfectly acceptable to run without any tune mods. This is especially advantageous in places like California where premium is 91. Mixing e85 to achieve 25% ethanol would raise the octane to 93+. This would allow CA cars to produce as much power as those in the rest of the country. All horsepower ratings in performance cars are based on 93 octane. My last two Mustangs, Boss 302 and GT350, both had an * next to the horsepower figures with the disclaimer that they made less power on 91.

Frosty

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra, 2016 Ford F150, 1993 Ford Mustang GT
This may be a stupid question but how do I reach 25% ethanol. 1 gallon of e85 and the rest 93 octane? I wonder if that alone even on a bone stock car will benefit as far as timing addition, unless ECM doesn't go past XX amount of timing regardless or just the cooler charge in the cylinder? Just thinking out loud. I've never deal with e85 but I have used methanol on my old supercharged 08 C6.

OP
OP

65sohc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
This may be a stupid question but how do I reach 25% ethanol. 1 gallon of e85 and the rest 93 octane? I wonder if that alone even on a bone stock car will benefit as far as timing addition, unless ECM doesn't go past XX amount of timing regardless or just the cooler charge in the cylinder? Just thinking out loud. I've never deal with e85 but I have used methanol on my old supercharged 08 C6.
Here is the calculator I use. Very simple.
https://www.tuneplusinc.com/pages/tuning-tools