Going over speedbumps? sportscar newbie here

Takonic

First Name
Kelv
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
A spark just lit up and I just signed the papers, and picking up the vehicle on Tuesday. I've never driven a sports car, let alone something something this low. I've always seen tuners/enthusiasts with low stances go about treading over the speed bumps real slow and at a angle. Does that need to be done here too? or can I just go about driving normal with this beast?

This world has been cruel, I'd figure its do or die and a jumped the gun on this car haha. I'am a bit scared/anxious to drive this thing
Sponsored

Paolo

First Name
Paolo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 SUPRA
A spark just lit up and I just signed the papers, and picking up the vehicle on Tuesday. I've never driven a sports car, let alone something something this low. I've always seen tuners/enthusiasts with low stances go about treading over the speed bumps real slow and at a angle. Does that need to be done here too? or can I just go about driving normal with this beast?

This world has been cruel, I'd figure its do or die and a jumped the gun on this car haha. I'am a bit scared/anxious to drive this thing
Congratulations on the new car. I just bought mine a few days ago and it's been a blast so far.

Go easy with speed humps and run it in well. The front end clearance is surprisingly good on the supra.

Yes, with covid turning us inside out, it's been great for some hell for others.

Safe driving.
:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Takonic

Takonic

First Name
Kelv
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Congratulations on the new car. I just bought mine a few days ago and it's been a blast so far.

Go easy with speed humps and run it in well. The front end clearance is surprisingly good on the supra.

Yes, with covid turning us inside out, it's been great for some hell for others.

Safe driving.
:thumbsup:
Dont need to attack them at a angle? and thanks man. Im ready and pumped to join the supra family.

Tsar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Stock Supra has plenty of height for regular speed bumps. I've never had to take them at an angle. Just drive slowly over them. This assumes speed bumps are the same in Canada as we have in the US.

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 C8 Corvette Z51 2LT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I approach speed bumps straight on and slowly...The Supra with stock suspension really isn't that low that you should be worried about scraping...

Last edited:

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Speed bumps are fine. Just go slowly. As far as steep driveways, you need to take them at an angle. Worse thing is an uphill driveway/entrance where it flattens off at the peak after the uphill where your bottom will scrape. This car does not have much clearance as I can barely get a low profile jack under the side skirts. Look under your car and at the front lip clearance and see how much clearance you have. That way you can gauge what you can cover over and etc.

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
I approach speed bumps straight on and slowly...The Supra with stock suspension really isn't that low that you should be worried about scraping...
setting the man up for failure. It always better to be over cautious. This car is pretty low from factory vs other cars.

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 C8 Corvette Z51 2LT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
setting the man up for failure. It always better to be over cautious. This car is pretty low from factory vs other cars.
Did you read what I said? I said just take the speed bumps slowly as you and a few others here in this thread mention.....I haven't had any issues what-so-ever with going over bumps slowly and straight on...The Supra, with OE suspension (not lowered) really isn't as low compared to other sports cars that I've personally owned...

Now my '18 Corvette was a different story and would bottom out on some speed bumps where I would have to approach them slightly sideways...

That said, if your fearful of bottoming out then take them sideways...but I don't find this necessary with my Supra...

Last edited:

John8

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Nitro, FJ Cruiser 2012
I go slowly over them, no issues. My driveway isn't steep at all but if I go straight on, I scrape the front to I go in at about 30 degrees and then straighten out and no issue. Backing out the same thing of course, as I get to the street, I angle to one side or the other and avoid scraping the front. I had a 1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse AWD turbo, and the front on that got scraped all the time.

65sohc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
65 GTO, 69 Corvette, 65 Corvette 427, 23 Corvette
I have found the Supra to be pretty much immune to speed bumps and even parking curbs or whatever you call those things. I love the parking sensors. The first time I parked at worked I crawled up slowly and heeded the sensor warning. When I got out I was about 4 inches from the curb but saw that the front would have cleared anyway.

65sohc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
65 GTO, 69 Corvette, 65 Corvette 427, 23 Corvette
The bottom of the car is completely flat. Usually what hits on most cars is the exhaust system. On the Supra the pipes are strategically flattened.

Islindur

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Had:Yellow 2l Have: Red 3l
Dont worry, this car is not that low actually as it seems from the outside. I drove and parked everywhere I wanted (ofc common sense included) with no issues.
Just be aware of the front end lip when U park.

Have fun with the car ;)

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
I've had zero issue with speed bumps. Although I usually avoid them all together. The Supra was able to go up my standard RaceRamps without extension.. of course after adding the Maxton lip (splitter) on the way down I put the extensions on and now it is pretty low.

But even with the splitter, it's not low like most 'lowered' cars I've had and yet to scrape anything.

Congrats on your new car, OP!
Sponsored