Jmanlevan

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Supra 3.0 MT, '00 4Runner SR5
Hey all!

Apologies for what may be a series of basic questions for most of you but this is my first time owning/dealing with aftermarket lowering springs.

I am about to have H&R lowering springs installed on my Supra on Wednesday. However, through research I have done online (searched here as well but didn't find any answers) it seems like a lot of people have their H&R springs installed "upside down" with the white H&R lettering upside down.

On this youtube video, Cameron Alford does a walk through of the install and he even says the front springs need to be installed upside down at 04:12 in the video. At 6:54 in the video, you can see he has the rear springs installed upside down as well.

My questions: do they need to be installed upside down or can they be installed with the lettering right side up? Does it make a difference? Are there any issues with the progressiveness of the spring rate with them installed upside down? Can they only be installed one way? Seems weird to me that H&R would have their text printed in the opposite orientation of intended install.

Below is a picture of my springs in the box. Rears on the outside of the box, fronts on the inside. The fronts look identical through the length of the spring from top to bottom so I am assuming those can be installed in either orientation. The rears have the tighter, closer coils at the top....do these tighter coils belong on what I'll call the roof side vs the street side?

Thanks for the help and sorry again if this is dumb? Just seems goofy but hey what do I know (NOTHING lol)

72012871055__5B1EF25A-2022-48C9-B01F-1BECB5FEE39D.jpeg
Sponsored

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
H&R springs should be installed matching the orientation of the OEM spring being removed.

For example:

1) If the OEM spring tapers to be more narrow at the bottom, the new spring should be installed in the same orientation.

2) If the OEM spring has tighter spacing on the coils at the top, the new spring should be installed in the same orientation.

Therefore, the front springs you've listed can be installed in either 180deg orientation. The rear springs should be installed tighter coils upright (roof side).

OP
OP
Jmanlevan

Jmanlevan

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Supra 3.0 MT, '00 4Runner SR5
H&R springs should be installed matching the orientation of the OEM spring being removed.

For example:

1) If the OEM spring tapers to be more narrow at the bottom, the new spring should be installed in the same orientation.

2) If the OEM spring has tighter spacing on the coils at the top, the new spring should be installed in the same orientation.

Therefore, the front springs you've listed can be installed in either 180deg orientation. The rear springs should be installed tighter coils upright (roof side).
You're the man! Thank you!
Sponsored