Help installing catless downpipe

Ryan6957

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Turbulence Grey Supra 3.0 Premium
Alright so Spent 6 hours installing my catless downpipe and I’m almost there but it won’t connect to the exhaust pipe. I’ve been trying to connect it for like 4 hours but it still won’t pop on. If you guy have any tips to helping me install it, it would be appreciated. Everything is fine it’s just connecting it to the exhaust pipe which is a pain
Sponsored

SD_MK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Is your downpipe damaged from shipping...? Downpipes are easier done than said for me cause i can make that shit sound confusing explaining the install.

Phantomx

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium
This could be so many things. Do you have stock exhaust?

Did you buy a DP meant to connect to an aftermarket exhaust? measure the outlet diameter of the DP and the stock Exhaust and make sure the DP isn’t to big that the exhaust won’t slide over it.

Sometimes it’s angle as well since you have to slide the entire stock exhaust back to get the DP in/out. May help to rest the exhaust on the aluminum cross brace and try to slide it forward onto the DP as straight as possible.

Does your DP have mounting tabs to help with alignment? (Some don’t)

other issues might be they are exactly the same size due to some manufacturer issue and you’d need an exhaust spreader to open the stock exhaust to slide over the DP.

Is not lining up? One not sliding over the other? If it’s close you might try a little anti seize on it to help it slide over. It’ll just burn off later.

OP
OP
Ryan6957

Ryan6957

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
This could be so many things. Do you have stock exhaust?

Did you buy a DP meant to connect to an aftermarket exhaust? measure the outlet diameter of the DP and the stock Exhaust and make sure the DP isn’t to big that the exhaust won’t slide over it.

Sometimes it’s angle as well since you have to slide the entire stock exhaust back to get the DP in/out. May help to rest the exhaust on the aluminum cross brace and try to slide it forward onto the DP as straight as possible.

Does your DP have mounting tabs to help with alignment? (Some don’t)

other issues might be they are exactly the same size due to some manufacturer issue and you’d need an exhaust spreader to open the stock exhaust to slide over the DP.

Is not lining up? One not sliding over the other? If it’s close you might try a little anti seize on it to help it slide over. It’ll just burn off later.
I had a similar issue with my AA exhaust and AA dp install. The AA exhaust outlet diameter became smaller when it was previously connected to the stock dp. I had to use the exhaust pipe expander tool.

https://www.harborfreight.com/large-exhaust-pipe-expander-57184.html

HTH.
so it’s stock exhaust with a arymtrix catless downpipe. The Downpipes diameter is the same as stock im genuinely confused why it won’t fit

Kevo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Poopra, 95 240s(u)x, 91 240s(u)x, 01 Cherocrap
so it’s stock exhaust with a arymtrix catless downpipe. The Downpipes diameter is the same as stock im genuinely confused why it won’t fit
If they are exactly the same you will have to spread one so that the inner pipe diameter is just slightly bigger than the outer pipe diameter of DP so it can slide over.

OP
OP
Ryan6957

Ryan6957

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
If they are exactly the same you will have to spread one so that the inner pipe diameter is just slightly bigger than the outer pipe diameter of DP so it can slide over.
This is gonna sound extremely stupid but how do I spread it?

Kevo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
This is gonna sound extremely stupid but how do I spread it?
S14mc has a link to a tool that will help expand the stock pipes diameter. You could use a Map tourch to heat up the metal during the process but not sure if that is needed and may be a bit overkill. Have you measured the exact pipe sizes you have?

OP
OP
Ryan6957

Ryan6957

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
S14mc has a link to a tool that will help expand the stock pipes diameter. You could use a Map tourch to heat up the metal during the process but not sure if that is needed and may be a bit overkill. Have you measured the exact pipe sizes you have?
I haven’t all I know is that it’s the same as oem

Kevo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I would measure both pipes inner and outer diameters to make sure that it is either the problem or not. When I changed my downpipe, it was the angle of the dp that forced me to loosen all the bolts to allow enough play to get my stock catback on then I retightened everything down.

Kamikaze

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
Ever get it figured out? I am also in the process of installing an armytrix Downpipe and hitting the same issue. The rest went fairly smoothly but the new downpipe will not slide onto the exhaust.
I may just have to go find that expander somewhere.

Davidr3

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ever get it figured out? I am also in the process of installing an armytrix Downpipe and hitting the same issue. The rest went fairly smoothly but the new downpipe will not slide onto the exhaust.
I may just have to go find that expander somewhere.
I'm not sure why anybody needs an expander especially on stock exhaust. See if you can fit the DP onto the exhaust first. You're losing all your give when it's clamped into the turbo/ 2 mounting bolts. Remove everything, slide it into exhaust. If you need to, loosen the exhaust hanger closest to the DP. It'll slide over, worst case lubricate it

calmeda1

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
Same thing happened to me. I was installing an AA catless dp and it took me hours to connect to the stock exhaust. After hours of forcing and bleeding, I finally did it lol

Idk why it was so difficult to connect

Kamikaze

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
I will keep giving it a shot and let you know, I do have the hanger closest to the downpipe removed and unhooked the two bolts in the bracket as well as the clamp to the turbo but still no luck so far.
Sponsored