How To Add Apple CarPlay?

Aros

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 GR Supra
I have a 2021 GR 3.0 but not a premium and would like to have Apple CarPlay installed. Anyone know how? I called a dealership and they looked up my VIN and said they couldn't install it. Say what? Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored

rowdy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Renaissance Red 2.0 A90 Supra 3.0L
I was looking into options for the same thing when I got my car as I also have a base 3.0 but from what I found.... our cars are missing all the electricals for carplay to be added. Essentially the car needs a lot added such as networking, antennas, software, etc. for carplay to work. Interested if others found something though. Who knows maybe its better for us in the long run to not have more extra electrical things that could eventually go wrong lol

OP
OP
Aros

Aros

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 GR Supra
Yeah itā€™s crazy to me that Toyota didnā€™t have CarPlay in all the variants. Hell, my fiancĆ© has a Honda Civic that costs 30K less and has CarPlay and front and back sensors. Sheesh. I found a place that can install it but they want $1400 bucks! No thanks.

OP
OP
Aros

Aros

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 GR Supra

Tacoma714

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra A91 CU Later Grey, 2015 Taccoma, 2013 A
I did some research and based on this thread:

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/so...apple-car-play-on-my-2-0-ltr-2021-supra.8486/

There's something called Bimmer-Tech that has (certified?) techs spread out that can make it happen. I reached out to the closest "Bimmer-Tech" place I could find and that's the $1,400 quote I got. I have to believe there is a cheaper method to get this software upgrade.
I have a 2023 and called around as well. I have never heard of a cheaper method which is why I've held back from doing this upgrade. Seems pricey.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
CarPlay is great if the car came with it, but I would just get a magnet vent mount for your iPhone and use BT if you must use the screen.

My 2016 STI is before CarPlay so I just use BT and Siri.. I don't even take my iPhone out of my pocket. (I wear an Apple Watch so I guess I am cheating a bit). The car has the antique factory nav and HK sound system and I have no plan to upgrade the HU although I use to work on stereo installs on all my previous cars.