Is Toyota Platinum VSA and Tire protection worth it?

zsupra

First Name
Ajay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra A91
I purchased the extended Toyota Platinum protection to extend the warranty 6 years /100000 miles for $2650 and the Tire protection/60 months for $1300.

Seeing that this is a BMW platform, I expect electronics issues sometime in its lifetime, but im not sure if it's justifying the extra cost at this point.

Did you guys buy the warranty? Or is it not worth it in the long run.
Sponsored

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Not worth it. You don't know how long you'll have the car. You'll get 75 million calls, letters, and emails before the factory warranty expires to renew.

Tsar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Yea, you can always purchase more warranty before your factory warranty runs out so why pay now?

OP
OP
zsupra

zsupra

First Name
Ajay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra A91
Not worth it. You don't know how long you'll have the car. You'll get 75 million calls, letters, and emails before the factory warranty expires to renew.
Yeah, I plan to keep this car for a while,
Yea, you can always purchase more warranty before your factory warranty runs out so why pay now?
Yeah, I plan to keep the car for a while. I asked the finance manager if I could purchase it after the fact, and he said it would have to be done at the time of signing. So I pulled the trigger on it. I'll just cancel now, and get it after the factory warranty runs out.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Yeah, I plan to keep this car for a while,

Yeah, I plan to keep the car for a while. I asked the finance manager if I could purchase it after the fact, and he said it would have to be done at the time of signing. So I pulled the trigger on it. I'll just cancel now, and get it after the factory warranty runs out.
Yeah, he lied.

angrytoddler

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Red LE Supra MKV, Toyota FJ Cruiser, Ford Explorer Sport
I paid like $350 for the tire and rim protection for 6 years. My plan does not include the key warranty.

angrytoddler

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Red LE Supra MKV, Toyota FJ Cruiser, Ford Explorer Sport
They offered it at like 600 or something and I said no. They were actually a great dealer and I paid MSRP.... So it's not like they were not making out already.

But the finance and sales guy were both big car guys and were excited to see the car go. They were upstate NY and both drive at tracks and had toy cars. I didn't have to push much to get that discount.

I didn't get any other warranty.....

OP
OP
zsupra

zsupra

First Name
Ajay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra A91
They offered it at like 600 or something and I said no. They were actually a great dealer and I paid MSRP.... So it's not like they were not making out already.

But the finance and sales guy were both big car guys and were excited to see the car go. They were upstate NY and both drive at tracks and had toy cars. I didn't have to push much to get that discount.

I didn't get any other warranty.....
lol, the dealer I went to is sorta shady, but I'm cancelling it anyways.

Tom S

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Toyota Prius Prime, 2019 Toyota Tacoma, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
I got a screw in one of my tires at about 800 miles and the dealership replaced it for free. Had to pay a couple bucks for tire recycling.

RWhiz

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Porsche 911 964, Tacoma, 2021 Absolute Zero Premium
I opted out of it for my Tacoma, I'm wondering if tracking your car, or AX or the like voids anything. I would think that any sort of tire protection would be voided if you track your car.

turb0mister2

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser, 1994 MR2, 2020 Supra
Iā€™ve have worked for toyota service for over 10 years and the tire warranty is absolutely worth it. At 350-$400 a pop youā€™ll make your money back in no time. And I plan to purchase the extended warranty since I ā€œplanā€ to keep it for a while. For $2600 you 1 repair away from having that covered. Itā€™s a BMW after all, and parts are expensive.

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
I opted out for few reasons. I will be using it more for track. since this will not be daily driver and will not be driven winter at all, less likely I will hit the pot hole (baby canyons in my area) and damage the rim. also, I will likely be switch to different tire once current one runs out. Michelin SS is awesome tire but I will most likely goto R888R set up if tire is available for MKV Supra. Also, I believe tire warranty doesn't cover "wear out". if it did, I'd be on it, no questions asked! when each tire is about $400... it's expensive. Although I wished I had it when I got nailed, it costed me $10 for kit to plug it. And then, to go to HPDE track event, I needed a tire that wasn't plugged. So I bought one from ebay for less than $200. although it is used, wear mark is almost brand new, same as my 600 miles old tire.

If you plan to drive it daily, and road around you is terrible, i think it's worth it. But if you are driving it seldomly, perhaps not.. that's my take on tire warranty.

turb0mister2

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser, 1994 MR2, 2020 Supra
Correct, the tire warranty does not cover tires worn to 2/32" or below. But if anyone comes in with a tire with a nail in it that is at at least 3/32", its covered no questions asked. Also, if you replaced your tires with a different brand, your warranty will still be valid.

I agree that with a track toy that wont be driven much you can skip it. But for anyone that is planning to put some miles on it, I think its well worth it. I replaced a 08 GS with 60k miles on it with the A90. At the end of the day I guess it was worth a bit more the higher mileage examples, but over 12-13 years of owning it not much. SO, I've decide just to drive the damn thing for the next ten years and enjoy it.
Sponsored