First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
Hi all,

Firstly I am a long time Michelin man PS2 PSS PS4S and now PS5

I had Michelin PS5 on all corners of my Toyota Supra Mk5 and noticed that at 20k miles awful noise from the wheels (like a wheel bearing issue )... when taking it to a garage they showed me that all four tyres had worn unevenly on the inside edges .. the tyres were essentially "no longer round" ... it was noticed that all four tyres has worn differently on the wear indicator areas ( 3 dot blocks) ... FYI .. alignment was spot on and car never driven hard or tracked. 20K is good for a set of tyres but with 5mm left it did mean that i still had to change them prematurely.

I suspect its due to the uneven block lengths of the indicators.

I include pictures and alignment ... also note the Michelin Pilots Super Sport i had on previously were fine.

Thoughts ?

as you can see on the picture below the jagged inside edge .. this was on ALL FOUR tyres.

IMG_4734.jpg

Below is a picture of my NEW tyres ... just to show that the blocks are different lengths

wear.jpg

My Alignment was fine ( as was my balancing )

alggg.jpg

I suggest that rotating (Side-to-Side ) at half tyre life might help. I have heard others having this issue with PS5 tyres.
Sponsored

Vertex

First Name
Vertex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0 Premium Supra Matte Storm Gray
I didn't end up getting enough miles on my PS4S tires on my Mach 1 but I did rotate them side to side after about 10k miles. They had just the smallest amount of feathering starting right before I did it. I suspect they should be fine or wear out to the end of the life if you do side to side rotation after around 10k miles or so as you mentioned.

BrettMRC

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra, Defender, Rx400h
What is the date stamp on the tyres? Any other unusual behaviours from them?

OP
OP
RAWSupra

RAWSupra

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
Rears were date stamped 1122 and fronts 2522

it is strange ... its not feathering or cupping/scalloping

The noise started a couple of months ago and sounded like road noise that over several weeks got worse to the point i was convinced it was Wheel Bearing noise ... but there was no play in the wheels and i have a Mechanics Stethoscope and there was ZERO noise from any of the wheels.

New tyres cured the noise. I still went with PS5 as 20k+ is still pretty good wear and they are a better value tyre than PS4S if you dont track/fast road the car IMHO.

BrettMRC

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Have you raised it with Michelin as a query?

As you say, 20k is really good going - but I'd be concerned about the vibration. (Probably find out they engineered it like that deliberately to give an audible/feelable indicator of tyre wear! 😂 )

OP
OP
RAWSupra

RAWSupra

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
Have you raised it with Michelin as a query?
Well i raised a case with Michelin .. their response was to tell me to go to an Authorised Michelin dealer BEFORE taking action.

ummm . too late i replaced the tyres

However now i know what to do if this starts again with this new set.

btw I received this from another PS5 user...

" The noise issue is interesting, I have PS5s on the front of my E-Class . Recently I noticed the E-Class' fronts have started stepping the inner tread blocks to the point I can hear them droning (wheelbearing type noise). They've been on there around 7-10k miles, alignment is spot on (I'm a Mercedes tech, we have the approved aligner, I set it up myself). "

BrettMRC

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Interesting, thanks for posting.
Sponsored