Key Fob replacement

Slotshot

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
New owner here (sorry if this is the wrong section) with a quick question...we only received 1 fob so will need to arrange to obtain another. Anyone know what the pricing for these are? Dealers the only suppliers, or is there an aftermarket?

Thanks!

Craig
Sponsored

Grendel-13

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 2015 BMW 435xi
I think its about 180 or so from the dealer, it maybe higher. If you lost the remote completely you will have to get it from the dealer, so they can get the correct key (The physical key that you use to open door if remote doesn't work) for your car, I haven't heard of any aftermarket. Remote has to be programed to the car. Also if you bought the Toyota warranty for the rims, that also covers replacement keys.

Grendel-13

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Used...with one fob unfortunately.
You should call a couple of dealers in the area and see what they quote on the key. I probably takes about a week to get one. I'm not sure how long the programing takes. I know it's pretty quick on a BMW, I don't know what Toyota has to do to program one. Maybe some one on the Forums could suggest a good dealer. Whenever you go to one to get the key make sure you have the registration with you. Most dealers won't give out keys with out some proof of ownership.

rev000

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction
ive got an extra key fob, have no idea how much its worth. lmk what toyota quotes you and ill give you a good deal

SupraYYJ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra 3.0
Used...with one fob unfortunately.
I wouldn't want the previous owner to have a key to my car.

Even if you don't buy a new key, I'd go to a dealer to have them delete the old key from the ECU. The previous owner will still have a working physical key, but they won't be able to start your car and drive off.

Grendel-13

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I wouldn't want the previous owner to have a key to my car.

Even if you don't buy a new key, I'd go to a dealer to have them delete the old key from the ECU. The previous owner will still have a working physical key, but they won't be able to start your car and drive off.
Also you will want the correct physical key to go into the fob. You'll need that to get into the car if the battery ever goes dead on the remote. They usually last 2 to 4 years depending on the car.
Also any fob for the car has to be programed into the ECU at the dealer.

OP
OP

Slotshot

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Quick update...I got The dealership to provide/ configure another key fob at their cost. I wonder what their cost is of course, and whether they will be entirely truthful about that.

Thanks!

Craig

Grendel-13

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Quick update...I got The dealership to provide/ configure another key fob at their cost. I wonder what their cost is of course, and whether they will be entirely truthful about that.

Thanks!

Craig
That's good that they will give you another key fob. You could always call another dealer and ask them what they charge for an extra key for the car. I had one replaced under warranty for a BMW years ago. I also bought an extra one for my Corvette, that was 180 for the key and 40 dollars for the half an hour labor to program it. I was in shock that they only charged me for 30 minutes labor. Most dealerships hit you for an hour minimum. Did you buy your car from a Toyota dealer?
Sponsored

Last edited: