Lazy MT shifting

Isaleus

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CUL A91-MT , 2008 Orange GMC Canyon
Durring driving my MT, I found that if you kinda coast for a while before shifting into gear. The MT will not rev-match.

But if you shift out of that gear, then back in, it will auto rev-match.

Odd quirk but the more you know other MT owners who wish to be lazy sometimes like me.
Sponsored

Rhane

First Name
Rhane
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 A91-MT, '22 Mustang GT, '13 FR-S
Yeah it's so weird. Every now and then, I'd downshift and it won't rev match and will violently shake haha. I'm still figuring that out

DrSupra

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium MT
Didn't realize this - I learned something new today!

Random and probably dumb question since we're talking rev matching - is it a bad idea to try to manually rev match and then let the car sort things out if I don't get it just right? I'm learning the spacing between the gears and figuring out my foot work still for heel-toe...I'm finding that the rev matching comes in handy if i don't get it right and just hoping this isn't bad for the car in any sort of way. Mechanically, I can't think of any way this would hurt the car but figured I'd ask still since I'm not exactly an engineer.

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
I'm finding that the rev matching comes in handy if i don't get it right and just hoping this isn't bad for the car in any sort of way.
Turn off rev matching and take some time to learn how to drive your car. And by that I'm not trying to be insulting, I'm just saying that all manuals have their own quirks and differences and part of manual ownership is learning yours.

Eddy90

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra MT
With my prior car, I messed up and put an extremely lightweight flywheel - downshifting and rev-matching was extremely difficult. But i would still try to do it cause i wasn't worried about blowing shit up.

Different story with the supra. I will be leaning on the rev match more.

Yeah it's so weird. Every now and then, I'd downshift and it won't rev match and will violently shake haha. I'm still figuring that out
I hope the random missed rev matches wont ruin my clutch lol.

6SPDA91

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silverado, S1000R, A91-MT
Didn't realize this - I learned something new today!

Random and probably dumb question since we're talking rev matching - is it a bad idea to try to manually rev match and then let the car sort things out if I don't get it just right? I'm learning the spacing between the gears and figuring out my foot work still for heel-toe...I'm finding that the rev matching comes in handy if i don't get it right and just hoping this isn't bad for the car in any sort of way. Mechanically, I can't think of any way this would hurt the car but figured I'd ask still since I'm not exactly an engineer.
There's no issues with blipping the throttle and leaving rev match on. Computers are smart enough to deal with human input, unless you're just being a total clown... in which case, even Sarah Connor can't give you advice

Rhane

First Name
Rhane
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 A91-MT, '22 Mustang GT, '13 FR-S
With my prior car, I messed up and put an extremely lightweight flywheel - downshifting and rev-matching was extremely difficult. But i would still try to do it cause i wasn't worried about blowing shit up.

Different story with the supra. I will be leaning on the rev match more.

I hope the random missed rev matches wont ruin my clutch lol.
I doubt it'll ruin anything. I'm new to the modern, more intelligent MT's and everything sorta disengages if you mess up. I downshifted 2-1 to see what would happen if I was already at high rpm, and it revs up but basically disengages everything immediately

CdnSupes

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91-MT
I find if you shift quickly you don't really have this issue. I have that issue if I let it "hang" in between gears.

I also found the 1-2 shift awkward at first, but if you put a little more gas between it's quite smooth.
Sponsored