Looking For Feedback ~ Wrapping The Roof

SlickRicATL

First Name
Ricci
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium (Red)
I am looking for some insight from those that have wrapped their roofs. I have a red Supra and looking to wrap the roof satin black. I was stuck between gloss black and satin. Any regrets from those that have gone either direction? Worried the satin will be thrown off since the rest of the car is "shiny". This is the first time I've wrapped anything. Do you have to worry about swirls?

MKV FORUM 1 .jpg
Sponsored

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
From my experience, glossy black vinyl does swirl quite easily like the rest of your paint if not worse. But if you blot dry and care for it like the rest of your paint, you should be fine. Most vinyls will allow some polishing too, in case you get swirls.

I would be more worried about water stains if your car is parked outdoors without proper surface protection and if you get hailed on.. that vinyl may need to come off for glue pullers.. if this is a hobby car parked indoors, no issue.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
I guess whatever you do, keep away from faux CF.. :crazy:

Awales74

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, Mazda 6
I've so wanted to do this with mine.

Local shop quoted me $500 and I'm like wha-what? For a sticker? It's a big sticker. But it's kinda square and the curvy bits aren't that curvy.

And then you have to pull these things off every 2-3 years to keep from messing up the paint? And don't forget, the uncovered paint will weather faster than the covered paint.

Curious what you guys pay for something like this and do you plan to remove and replace at regular intervals. Or is this one of those damn the torpedoes and have some fun?

Musa_Hanzo

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Rockville, MD I Seoul, S. Korea I Yokohama, Japan
Car(s)
Toyota I Honda I Porsche
I m getting my roof wrap next week. I have absolutely no regrets on doing the things I have done on my car with current odometer reading at 202 miles.

If you are doubtful, don't do it and spend your money elsewhere.

Musa_Hanzo

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Rockville, MD I Seoul, S. Korea I Yokohama, Japan
Car(s)
Toyota I Honda I Porsche

Local shop quoted me $500 and I'm like wha-what? For a sticker? It's a big sticker. But it's kinda square and the curvy bits aren't that curvy.

And then you have to pull these things off every 2-3 years to keep from messing up the paint? And don't forget, the uncovered paint will weather faster than the covered paint.

Curious what you guys pay for something like this and do you plan to remove and replace at regular intervals. Or is this one of those damn the torpedoes and have some fun?
This will be on the car for its life. My 911 was fully wrapped in matte black since the delivery in 2005 and recently peeled it off except the hood. Paint looks fresh as brand new car with absolutely no markings or yellowing clear coats. Yes, 27 yrs with no paint damage anywhere that includes the roof.

My previous FJ Cruiser came with the matte black wrapped hood from the factory as a standard feature and nowhere on the manual says you need to full it off every 2-3 Years. :crazy:

Awales74

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, Mazda 6
OP
OP
SlickRicATL

SlickRicATL

First Name
Ricci
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Would 100% vote for a wrapped roof. I did gloss on mine including the trim pieces. Gloss is the way to go in my opinion.
1667226504191.png
Now I need to consider the weather stripping.... At first, I told them, no, but I am liking how yours came out!

OP
OP
SlickRicATL

SlickRicATL

First Name
Ricci
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

I was quoted $250 from a reputable shop here in Atlanta. Another $250 or so to pin stripe the side skirts. He told me both jobs would take 3hrs.
Sponsored