MHD Failed Flash

Killswitch24

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Are you using a decent battery charger? From what I'm reading online about flashing problems usually points to the battery and/or charger. Mine seems to be able to put out 20-25 amps so I'm hesitant to condemn it.

I'm wondering if it could be an app problem. Looks like I'm using V3.60 which was just updated 1/17/22 that states to include some B58 gen1 updates.

LoveSupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra A90 - 2019
I dont use MHD, but I had issues with BootMod3 initially on my first flash where it was telling me to force the flash, at the same time risking my car not starting. Decided not to mess around and spoke to support at bm3. Gave it another try and worked out fine. Was a glitch on the system.

I used a really helpful link on the forum by one of the kind posters to figure out whether my dme (year 2019) was locked or not. And that basically solved my issue well before the support at bm3 confirmed that it didn't need a bench unlock.

The date of the dme isn't really that helpful for figuring out if it needs a bench unlock (referring to pre late 2020) unless you know the actual software version it is running on. Once again the link I used helped me figure it out.

?

OP
OP
antmazz

antmazz

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Toyota Supra
Are you using a decent battery charger? From what I'm reading online about flashing problems usually points to the battery and/or charger. Mine seems to be able to put out 20-25 amps so I'm hesitant to condemn it.

I'm wondering if it could be an app problem. Looks like I'm using V3.60 which was just updated 1/17/22 that states to include some B58 gen1 updates.
My charger is the same as yours. I may be being naive, but if it were the charger I'd have expected not to be able to flash back to stock as well as not flash the OTS map.

I thought that it could possibly down to the MHD+ features they've recently added. When did you first try to flash it?

OP
OP
antmazz

antmazz

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Toyota Supra
I dont use MHD, but I had issues with BootMod3 initially on my first flash where it was telling me to force the flash, at the same time risking my car not starting. Decided not to mess around and spoke to support at bm3. Gave it another try and worked out fine. Was a glitch on the system.

I used a really helpful link on the forum by one of the kind posters to figure out whether my dme (year 2019) was locked or not. And that basically solved my issue well before the support at bm3 confirmed that it didn't need a bench unlock.

The date of the dme isn't really that helpful for figuring out if it needs a bench unlock (referring to pre late 2020) unless you know the actual software version it is running on. Once again the link I used helped me figure it out.

?
Do you have the link you used please?

LoveSupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra A90 - 2019
Do you have the link you used please?
Sure!

https://mgflasher.atlassian.net/wik...for+Select+BMW+MG1+including+new+07.2020+ECUs

Basically the Supra is a Gen 2 B58 engine. The ID of my dme is 48DC with bootloader version BTLD-001.009.003 (as per Bootmod3 after connecting to OBD2).

Hence, I worked out that it did not require bench unlock and I flashed Bootmod3 with this knowledge.

As I stated earlier my ECU is year 2019, I just happened to also have an unlocked dme because Toyota never updated my firmware.

This is all just my own research on the topic, and I am not a tuner. I think it's best to always confirm with a tuner just to be sure.

:)

Last edited:

Killswitch24

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
My charger is the same as yours. I may be being naive, but if it were the charger I'd have expected not to be able to flash back to stock as well as not flash the OTS map.

I thought that it could possibly down to the MHD+ features they've recently added. When did you first try to flash it?
Some of my thoughts exactly. Flash back to stock worked so it probably isn't an "unlock" problem either. I originally tried to flash on Wed. 1/19

Edit:
Thanks for the link @LoveSupra, my BTLD is on the "low security' list so it should be an issue with unlock. (BTLD 48DC v001_011_001)

Last edited:
OP
OP
antmazz

antmazz

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Toyota Supra
Sure!

https://mgflasher.atlassian.net/wik...for+Select+BMW+MG1+including+new+07.2020+ECUs

Basically the Supra is a Gen 2 B58 engine. The ID of my dme is 48DC with bootloader version BTLD-001.009.003 (as per Bootmod3 after connecting to OBD2).

Hence, I worked out that it did not require bench unlock and I flashed Bootmod3 with this knowledge.

As I stated earlier my ECU is year 2019, I just happened to also have an unlocked dme because Toyota never updated my firmware.

This is all just my own research on the topic, and I am not a tuner. I think it's best to always confirm with a tuner just to be sure.

:)
Thank you! My BTLD is on the Low Security list too ?

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
This is the exact same thing that happened when flashing my best friends m4 with MHD after we accidentally re locked it testing it stock with MHD, 5% and fail. it sounds like a locked ecu to me

OP
OP
antmazz

antmazz

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Toyota Supra
We have success!

The guys at MHD were a great help. Seems to be a problem with the latest version of their app. They sent me an old version to install on my phone (v3.62), I installed it and was up and running in 10 minutes.

Killswitch24

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Likewise.

It was an app problem and, though it may not yet be resolved in the official release version found in the play/apple store, I don't imagine that it will take them long to implement the fix.
Sponsored