Missing (modern day) features

DaBear723

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
For those of you that get text message notifications on Android, that is all that the system does, right? It will not read it for you. If that's all we're getting than I'm not missing much. But if it does read the message for you while you're driving (like my $30k Tacoma does), then I do miss that function.
It will display the text and also has the option to read it out loud to you. You can also talk to text.
Sponsored

scoates

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 GT86, 2020 Supra A90 Edition, 2021 GR Yaris
On android when I get a text message (only through default messenger in my experience, not WhatsApp etc) it is displayed in my notifications, and using the voice commands can navigate to it and have it read out without needing to touch or look at the display. Only done this once though so not entirely sure if there's more to it than that though...

OP
OP

Kato

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Tacoma TRD Sport, 2020 GR Supra Phantom
It will display the text and also has the option to read it out loud to you. You can also talk to text.
Did you have to activate it through BimmerCode like @consultadrone said? If so, do you remember the setting/steps?
I'll have to look at my BimmerCode this weekend.

consultadrone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
On android when I get a text message (only through default messenger in my experience, not WhatsApp etc) it is displayed in my notifications, and using the voice commands can navigate to it and have it read out without needing to touch or look at the display. Only done this once though so not entirely sure if there's more to it than that though...
It seems that the ability to have your texts read aloud and to reply is phone dependent. When I try, the system tells me that the feature is not supported by the bluetooth device. So I guess iPhones don't play so well with iDrive (something I've heard before). I can reach the messaging screen via voice command but that's it. If I had to guess, it might be something to do with CarPlay integration. I can, however, use Siri through the iDrive system

Edit: It appears that the latest IOS update has broken Siri through iDrive. It activates and immediately ends. Yay Apple!!

Last edited:

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 C8 Corvette Z51 2LT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
On android when I get a text message (only through default messenger in my experience, not WhatsApp etc) it is displayed in my notifications, and using the voice commands can navigate to it and have it read out without needing to touch or look at the display...
This is how I receive my text messages with the Supra Connect system...I have Android S10+ phone.....

DaBear723

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
Did you have to activate it through BimmerCode like @consultadrone said? If so, do you remember the setting/steps?
I'll have to look at my BimmerCode this weekend.
Nope, no bimmercode. I just went to my vehicle> system setting>mobile devices>connect new device. From there you should be set up. Also if you scroll down in system settings, there is a notifications menu and you can tick the boxes for messages and text messages. I hope that helps. I also just found out the car does screen mirroring also, so you technically can have android auto... just not very good lol.

ZtoSupra

First Name
Leslie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ā€˜20 Supra, ā€˜08 FJ; traded ā€˜03 Touring Z
It seems that the ability to have your texts read aloud and to reply is phone dependent. When I try, the system tells me that the feature is not supported by the bluetooth device. So I guess iPhones don't play so well with iDrive (something I've heard before). I can reach the messaging screen via voice command but that's it. If I had to guess, it might be something to do with CarPlay integration. I can, however, use Siri through the iDrive system

Edit: It appears that the latest IOS update has broken Siri through iDrive. It activates and immediately ends. Yay Apple!!
Iā€™d like more info on this. I have used voice command last week but this week while Bluetooth & apply play will play pandora, when I use voice command it says Iā€™m not linked up. Tips? Is this just some electronic thing Iā€™ll have to fiddle with? (Afraid what will happen several software updates from now...)

consultadrone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Iā€™d like more info on this. I have used voice command last week but this week while Bluetooth & apply play will play pandora, when I use voice command it says Iā€™m not linked up. Tips? Is this just some electronic thing Iā€™ll have to fiddle with? (Afraid what will happen several software updates from now...)
i was able to solve the problem by deleting my phone from the car and also the car from the phone, rebooting both the car entertainment system and the phone and re-pairing them. Now Siri and voice command work again. I am still limited on my ability to read and reply to texts through voice command as always.

ZtoSupra

First Name
Leslie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ā€˜20 Supra, ā€˜08 FJ; traded ā€˜03 Touring Z
Drove it today & maybe this is a hint. Iā€™m using Toyota command rather than the Apple play selectionā€”maybe thatā€™s why too? Today I used the map on phone & it directed me thru the car display/sound.

4851F53D-EA28-41A4-8863-A577875B3CCD.jpeg
Sponsored