Model code designation? / Why do we use the A90 name for the 5th Gen Supra?

Do you think we should continue to use the a90 nomenclature even though our cars are not an A chas?

• Total voters

Mr. Kurtz

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1981 Toyota Celica GT Sunchaser, 2020 Toyota Supra Premium
I know the new Supra is referred to as the ‘A90’ in succession with past generations, but what would the complete designation be?

For example, a third gen in the US is a MA70 because it had the 7M motor, and a Japanese market third gen would be a JZA70 because it came with a 1JZ.

I’m looking for a vanity plate, and ‘A90’ is already taken here in Connecticut. :/
Sponsored

Jeff Lange

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AE86, GSE21
Toyota is using DB43 for Canada/US models, DB41 for other LHD markets (including Mexico), DB42 for other RHD markets (including Japan).

I posted the various chassis codes and their respective markets on the Wikipedia page a while back.

In BMW terms, it is a J29 chassis and then there are various type codes: DB[2/4/8][1/2/3] depending on market, driver position, and engine. BMW calls the engines B46B20 (B46D, 30i), B48B20 (B48D, 20i and 30i), and B58B30 (B58C, 40i) while Toyota is simply referring to them as B46H (SZ R i.e. 30i), B48L (SZ i.e. 20i), B48H (SZ R i.e. 30i) and B58 (RZ i.e. 40i).

It's not a direct translation, but I would say that if we're comparing A70, A80, etc., to anything, J29 is the most appropriate term, while the DBxx types are more akin to what Toyota would use in the VIN as the VDS (MA70, MA71, DD82, DE82, JA80, JA81, JA82, etc.), though Japanese models at the time didn't use these, and I would say that the actual model codes are what should be compared (MA70L-BLMVZK, JZA80R-AJFVZW, JZA70-BLMQZ, etc.).

Toyota seems to be pushing the "A90" marketing term quite a bit, but it is of course not used on the actual car, as everything in that regard is very much BMW's domain.

But as the DBxx type codes are the most telling of which engine/driver position is being used, that is what Toyota is using to reference the "chassis code" where they would normally use JZA80, MA70, etc.

Jeff

Vegas Supra

First Name
A90 Supra
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
17 BRZ PP, 17 STI, AB-ZERO A90 #241
Vehicle Showcase
What are we? We already have an identity crisis and everyone calling it the Zupra or that's a rebadged BMW
Toyota USA lists the car as a -2020 GR SUPRA

Just wondering what the correct and proper name should be. I know its all of the above.

Just wondering your thoughts.

What has it always been the previous models ?

Oxytal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MR2 SW20
Officially it's the Toyota GR Supra. Toyota also calls it the A90 even though it's technically not an A-chassis. Even more officially its internal BMW code is J29. I just call it the Supra or Mk. 5 if I'm comparing the generations.

Personally I like A90, even if it's technically not true :p

Last edited:

Vegas Supra

First Name
A90 Supra
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
17 BRZ PP, 17 STI, AB-ZERO A90 #241
Vehicle Showcase
Officially it's the Toyota GR Supra. Toyota also calls it the A90 even though it's technically not an A-chassis. Even more officially its internal BMW code is J29. I just call it the Supra or Mk. 5 if I'm comparing the generations.
Did not know J29 - good info

Supra Dupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV LE (Nocturnal Black)
Vehicle Showcase
Actually, the marketing name is "GR Supra," whereas the official name of the car (i.e., the name that was registered with MLIT) is just "Supra." (Source: マーケティング活動における名称。国土交通省への届出名称は「スープラ(Supra)」)

For example, if you go to Toyota Japan's website and filter by "GR/GR Sport," the Supra is actually the only car on the list that doesn't have the letters "GR" in its title (unlike the U.S. website which calls it the "2020 GR Supra").

Last edited:

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
It's convoluted and has changed a few times, but the most correct response is Gazoo Racing Supra or just GR Supra.

Gazoo Racing is actually Toyota Gazoo Racing (TGR) in long form, so they're just dropping that part for (marketing) simplicity sake. It was referred to as GR Supra by Toyota for a while as well.

Internally, it's the MY2020 Supra and is not often referred to as A90 if at all (certainly not MKV).

Supra Dupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV LE (Nocturnal Black)
Vehicle Showcase
It's convoluted and has changed a few times, but the most correct response is Gazoo Racing Supra or just GR Supra.

Gazoo Racing is actually Toyota Gazoo Racing (TGR) in long form, so they're just dropping that part for (marketing) simplicity sake. It was referred to as GR Supra by Toyota for a while as well.

Internally, it's the MY2020 Supra and is not often referred to as A90 if at all (certainly not MKV).
Based on what Toyota headquarters in Japan has said, they're actually adding "GR" for marketing's sake, and what they've submitted to the Japanese government (MLIT) as the official name of the car is just "Supra." I'm not sure what the naming conventions are in the United States, but at least in Japan it's "Supra."

My understanding is that they're trying to make GR known more globally with this car (to my knowledge, this is the first car that they've tried selling in the United States using GR as opposed to TRD). It's the only GR car that I'm aware of where the "GR" comes in front of the car's name as opposed to after it (e.g., "86 GR"), presumably for this reason.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
The GR thing is Akio's brainchild, and despite the fact that he is awesome is a silly thing over all. Tada once made a joke that I probably should not post here that he was going to find the cheapest adhesive he could find for the GR badge and that hopefully the wind would blow the badge off the car lol.

Marketing wise though, it is the GR Supra worldwide, hence why every car has the badge on the back. There are also plenty of Japanese ads showing this as well. How regular people or even staff refer to it is a different matter however.

that said, I assume the official name submitted to each government entity is just Toyota Supra.
Sponsored