MODS FOR AU SUPRA

Aztec000

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra
As title of the thread. To all fellow aussie supra owners out there I am interested to know what mods available out in our country in terms of DPs and Tunes. Or has anyone already done a mod to their supra ?

PS: I am newbie with car mods and etc. mainly looking for a bit of extra exhaust
Sponsored

Reppunkamui

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra 2020, Toyota Supra 1994, BMW 135i M-Sport,
We are in an alright position, typically not much is fabricated here, but it is easy to access both JDM and US parts.

For exhausts/intake/piping etc, you can get pre-manufactured ones which is what you typically see on the forums (usually imported), or you can go to an exhaust shop to get a custom one made (DPs. Cats, headers... to a degree). This is probably the best way to do it as you can get engineering certs and be street legal here. Exhaust shops form my experience are happy to make non-legal ones if you request it, whether it is 100 cell high flow cats or otherwise. You can also get them to do the muffler/resonator/tip/pipes that would compose an off the shelf catback, and they can make sure it fits with the noise limits, but you are never 100% sure what it will sound like until it is on (they will give you a good idea though). Also they are probably the only option ATM for a full exhaust system at once (ideal) so you are not confined to stock connector sizes.

You can check out Autobarn, Repco or SCA to see what they have... I doubt there will be much support specific for Supras though. That said, there are a lot of generic parts for cars which you just have to make sure will fit. E.g. Intercoolers, BOV, turbo timers, exhaust tips, mufflers etc.

For tuning, it is the same as anywhere else, there are tuners/mechanics everywhere, probably best to check local shops that deal with BMWs IMO. For the ECU, use the one your tuner has experience working with. Ideally if they have a dyno, they will be able to measure the gains made from each tune and mod. Please bear in mind that you will likely lose your Toyota warranty if you tune, and very likely will get a canary if you are caught by cops.

Mods can be as small as applying tint to your windows or changing a radiator cap. Just figure out what you really want and are comfortable with. What people don't tell you is that every mod is a tradeoff. You lose something for everything you gain. And it gets expensive quickly...

If a nice exhaust sound is what you want, I would recommend looking for a catback before a DP. Intake is a cheap mod for some hp gains and engine sounds (usually the first/only performance mod for most people).

So far, non-cosmetic mods, I have gotten for my car. Aftermarket catted downpipe (ActiveAutoworks), wheels (Volks TE37 Ultra Track Edition 2), piggyback (TitanMotorworks ProTune), front Strut brace (Cusco).

Things I am looking at or waiting until there is more options/information on market... HKS HMAX IV/KW V3 coilovers, HKS/Apexi Dual Catback exhaust, MST/Eventuri Cold air intake, HKS SSQV BOV (loved it on my A80).

My first mod is the side view mirrors, the stock ones look terrible especially for matte grey. It is raw plastic with some crap matte/satin coat. I hate it.

Enough rambling from me I am sure others in Australia aiming to go much further than me in mods.

OP
OP

Aztec000

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra
Thanks for the comprehensive reply!

I have been looking at the catted DP (ActiveAutoworks). I can see that it is manufactured in America and it does say that it is EPA approved (only in US?), and it also claims that it does not throw CEL ?. Will the sound it makes be legal in Australia ? And if you don’t mind would you mind dropping a short clip of what your supra’s exhaust sounds like ?

thanks heaps!

Reppunkamui

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
  • EPA approved is only in the US. It is a risk for Australia but it should be fine, the cat is 300CEL and I've seen 200CEL high flow cats pass the exhaust tests, albeit for other cars.
  • CEL they mean is "check engine light". They mean the cat is working well enough that it doesn't trigger the O2 sensor.
  • It should have minimal sound effect since it still has a cat and piping is short and similar to stock.
  • TBH, still waiting for the DP to arrive at my doorstep, so exhaust note is still stock. I don't expect it to change much, maybe a bit deeper.

OP
OP

Aztec000

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra
Keep us updated when your exhaust arrives! Mainly wants to know if it will throw CEL as the manufacturer guarantees no CEL and therefore does not require a tune, And also not to mention about the what it will sound like. Thanks heaps!

Reppunkamui

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Check Engine Light is not a requirement for a tune. If it comes on, it is because the cat is not working well enough. All a tuner will do is use the ECU override (i.e. ignore) the O2 sensors. An O2 spacer (to trick the O2 sensors) will achieve the same result (without voiding your warranty but you will still fail the emissions test which you would tuned as well).

There are sound clips for the AA DP on stock already. AU supra exhaust unlike EU are similar to the US ones. We don't have the particulate filter required in EU. The only part difference is the muffler which I presume is a RHD v LHD thing.

Reppunkamui

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Been ages. But thought I should just put an update.

Sound with downpipe is in line with US cars, same stock exhaust sound, just a little louder.

Have Active Autowerke downpipe and HKS Dual muffler installed. No CEL so far on Australian Supra.

Slightly annoying in cabin drone from exhaust from 2,000 revs onwards. Hopefully, noise is EPA friendly still... will be very close.

OP
OP

Aztec000

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra
Been ages. But thought I should just put an update.

Sound with downpipe is in line with US cars, same stock exhaust sound, just a little louder.

Have Active Autowerke downpipe and HKS Dual muffler installed. No CEL so far on Australian Supra.

Slightly annoying in cabin drone from exhaust from 2,000 revs onwards. Hopefully, noise is EPA friendly still... will be very close.
would you mind sending a short clips of you revving. Just wanna hear how it sounds like

Jediyogi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GR A90

Reppunkamui

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah, now is not a great time for importing parts unless the store already had it in stock. I have only dealt with carmodsaustralia form that list. I generally prefer purchasing from a local shop than online, because most parts seem to be ordered rather than in stock (despite what the website tells you). Local shops typically takes a deposit and you pay when it arrives, online you pay upfront...

I used to use https://importmonster.com.au/ (10 years ago now) for jdm auctions when fixing up my A80. Might be helpful for wheels.

Sorry, I am in Melbourne, no not cluey on NSW tuners.

Kiwi Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
terminatorproducts.co.nz
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2021 GR Yaris, 2022 GR86
At least your dollar is better than ours :(

I got a Wagner catted DP & BM3 tune with bundle, I went stage 2 tune, extremely happy with it.

I may get a custom tune once I get an after market exhaust & another intake out of the States,

Happy with my MST but waiting on a Takeda, I was very impressed with the one I had on my GT 86's

So glad I went with the Supra instead of waiting for the C8

Goodness only knows if they will be here this year & in RH drive.....

Nomicon

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Nissan Patrol
Has anyone had any experience ordering from the above?

Planning on ordering a DP/Boostlogic exhaust/intake/ecutek over the next year.

Nomicon

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Nissan Patrol

Flashtuned

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW F30
Hey guys, Andy here from Flashtuned. I have been encouraged to join in on the conversation given that we do a lot of work with this platform. Not here for the blatant product flog, rather to be part of the discussion and chip in where I can.

Nomicon

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Nissan Patrol
Hey guys, Andy here from Flashtuned. I have been encouraged to join in on the conversation given that we do a lot of work with this platform. Not here for the blatant product flog, rather to be part of the discussion and chip in where I can.
I picked up a BM3 from you not long ago, still loving it!

Good to see you on the board.
Sponsored