Australian MKV Supra Alternatives

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
Just curious, here in Australia, given our pricing and availability constraints, what is the competition?

I'm fairly confident that the new Z is punching a tier or two beneath. I see the Audi RS3 comes in just over $100k AUD but has no manual transmission. The only obvious alternative for my money has always been the M2 Competition.

Other than the less costly alternatives, (cheaper GRs, BRZ, Megane RS and Type Rs, Z, etc), if the Supra GR wasn't on sale here, what would we all be fawning over in the $100k to $120k price-point - particularly with a manual transmission?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Monyx

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW X4M Competition, Wrangler
I was looking at 2nd hand Boxster 718 or 981.

sunraiser

First Name
Jace
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lancer Evolution X MR
Think for now the new M2 looks good, around 120k and 6 month delivery time.

Snakes70

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1999 EVO3 WRX
I dont particularly like the look of the new M2......it's too square. I do like some of the interior but I hate the new screens/displays.
The worst thing though is that they are 200+kgs heavier than a Supra.
Yes, they make more power but I'd much rather a lighter car that is easy to mod.
I'm getting a GT too so the M2 is going to be quite a bit more $$.
The way things are going atm tho, the M2 might be here first!

OP
OP
BMWAF

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
I dont particularly like the look of the new M2......it's too square. I do like some of the interior but I hate the new screens/displays.
I agree but the look of the M2 is growing on me. And those M2 carbon fibre seats. 😍 The real problem is that after you option it properly and add a few mods, you're looking at $150k.

Snakes70

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1999 EVO3 WRX
Hehehehe yep, those seats are so cool arent they. Big dollars tho, they aren't standard from what I've seen.
I think the Supra is better value and IMO a better looking car but there's no doubting the awesomeness of the M2!
The GT is stretching my budget tho so the M2 isnt a realistic option for me really.
Just have to keep waiting.......

sunraiser

First Name
Jace
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lancer Evolution X MR
I agree but the look of the M2 is growing on me. And those M2 carbon fibre seats. 😍 The real problem is that after you option it properly and add a few mods, you're looking at $150k.
yes I m stucking with this same problem, gimme a feeling like M2 with Carbon fiber seats ~> supra >> M2, but those seats gunna put almost extra 20k on the bill :rolleyes: and that make it over my budget

OP
OP
BMWAF

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
I sat in those Car
yes I m stucking with this same problem, gimme a feeling like M2 with Carbon fiber seats ~> supra >> M2, but those seats gunna put almost extra 20k on the bill :rolleyes: and that make it over my budget
I sat in those Carbon fiber seats today and well.. they weren't super comfortable to be honest. But otherwise, BMW interiors are mint. And I'm not sure what everyone is on about, the new Z4 interior makes the Supra look like a Toyota again. :(

D3ad_Hand

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra / 2019 Y61 Nissan Patrol
Would recommend an M2 basically a competitor of the supra and what some peoples say what the successor should've been instead of u know a z4 engine. Plus one of my friends owns one shit is amazing ngl

OP
OP
BMWAF

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
Would recommend an M2 basically a competitor of the supra and what some peoples say what the successor should've been instead of u know a z4 engine. Plus one of my friends owns one shit is amazing ngl
Yeah.. I'm struggling to stay on the Supra train atm.

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
I haven't driven the current gen, but the previous BMW M2 felt more like a high performance sedan, and the Supra more a dedicated, sharp, sports car.

OP
OP
BMWAF

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
I haven't driven the current gen, but the previous BMW M2 felt more like a high performance sedan, and the Supra more a dedicated, sharp, sports car.
Yeah.. I know. I'm still in line for the Supra. I'm just annoyed really. Waiting waiting waiting.. and Toyota with no information and a backwards ordering system doesn't help.. and then you go to BMW and they're product is more pro as is their information and time frames.

And price, of course. Ugh.

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
Yeah, fair enough. My updates have dried up, but at least they're good to deal with.

I waited 13 months for the first 86 GTS.... Missed the first shipment allocation by 3 days.

Monyx

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW X4M Competition, Wrangler
Cancelled my order for '23 MT Supra due to 1:3.76 steep grade of driveway. This forced a reassessment of vehicle (coastal living lifestyle, jetskis, 2x Labradors, SUP, OneWheel etc)...truth is a 'single man's Sports car didn't fit no matter how much I desired.

My cross shopping of alternatives not typical as going to SUV. Power and handling paramount despite height/weight penalty, towing and load capacity. I was keen on Porsche Macan S and BMW X4 M40i.
Reviews described Macan 3L V6 single turbo (VW group motor) as not being Porsche-like and lacking character or inspiration. I concur – the Macan looks great esp in Miami Blue hero colour, air ride suspension, interior, instruments all fantastic and it did not feel big to drive. But that motor – what a let down. Sure it goes about its business efficiently, but without any feeling or spirit – just anonymous modern V6. It is 1900kg 260kW, a little lacklustre in a straight line, though 'adequate'. So reluctantly, but swiftly dropped from the list.

Familiar BMW mechanicals from the Supra, I sampled a 2018 X3 M40i with the rambunctious 2-port B58. It crackled and popped all the way up a winding road. Fun, it brought smile and was fun. I loved the silky smooth straight 6 and baseline soundtrack - just didn't want a square box, so the X4 M40i 'Coupe' went to top of the list.
Lamenting my Sports car loss while reflecting on how practical the new wheels will be, I got the minister of finance over the line for a proper 'M' car - picking up an X4 M Competition tomorrow. The 2019 models ~$120k. Based on 0-100 real world tests I should be able to gap Supra....with the missus, 2 Labradors and jetski trailer in-tow!
https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/bm...QiTbegMbJZB5i5WmJhAlbn7GqaZ0jqlWZTAj9sKYqGPCo
Sponsored