Muscle car sales are fading away…

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
PHEVs would be a better stop gap than pure EV in my opinion apart from what I feel is one major design flaw. Asking an ICE to roar into life at high RPMs from stone cold. Surely manufacturers could use an engine block heater while in pure electric to give the fluids some sort of temperature beforehand. I guess you could drive in ICE only until it’s warmed up, but that sort of defeats the purpose of the battery being there.
Sponsored

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I agree with you guys on the design as well. It’s like, I can’t tell one Tesla from another. Not throwing Tesla under the bus or anything, they are great cars….however, they look too simple, and identical to each other. Also, we need to get more E85 out there….at least for now until Hydrogen takes off. Brazil has been leading the way with E85 for some time now.

Elektro

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
17 i3 94ah, 22 Supra 2.0
They buy the picture lifestyle in the brochure and rarely live it. Thats reality. The office worker dreaming of a non office life. His or her 'Bronco' at least lets them think they are lol

Marketing.

I like sportscars and buy them. We are enthusiasts as well. Are we large in number not as much.
Sure for tastes there are colors. Enthusiasts being people that care what machine they drive and like to have it modified perhaps or get some identity or ego from it. It's all the same, still marketing.

Some of us sit in the office and look at the brochure of the car on the racetrack with tire smoke and lightning in the background and dream the same dreams as the next cube over going through the mud and over the boulders to camp under the starry night sky.

Well some people grew up reading Initial D and some grew up watching zombie movies.

My only guess is that car companies now must design a vehicle with batteries in the floor. The proportions of electric cars look worse in my opinion.

With a ICE car you can mount the engine front, mid or rear.
They can build a bev to any shape.. Bev cuvs look like gas cuvs because that's what selling nowadays. It's fashion.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Yeah, like check out i4. It's identical to 4 series and is a sedan. Somewhat more freedom...
+ Inverter, battery, high voltage cables, etc
- gas tank, exhaust, etc

P90423746_lowRes_bmw-i4-m50-2021.jpg
electric-vehicle-cross-section-on-the-bmw-i4-sports-example-2H8DBB5.jpg

Elektro

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
17 i3 94ah, 22 Supra 2.0
I came very close to buying the i4 instead of supra. But I like smaller cars and more practically, don't drive enough to make having two ev worth my state's alt fuel fees. Would love to see a sports bev in 8-10 years to trade the supra on. If they have an "i2" perhaps based on the new 230 I probably would have been sold. I like the i3 but it is a quirky little thing and I don't need two of them lol.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
Hydrogen fuel cells with modestly sized intermediate battery packs to buffer the current flow are, at bare minimum, likely going to see use in heavy industrial, construction equipment, marine (especially cargo ships), aviation, and quite possibly semi trucks.

Anything that goes into the air and anything that is physically very large and which is hauling tremendous weight will not be a good fit for battery technology for some time yet. A massively heavy and physically large battery pack required for the power and range demands under load for applications like those will quickly reach a point of diminishing returns with our current technology.

With fuel cells in those applications at least, hydrogen will potentially pick up where diesel eventually leaves off.

Battery technology will continue to improve but currently the conventional lithium-ion cell packs are much too large and heavy for the majority of those applications. Personal vehicles including GM's 10,000lb battery electric Hummer are doable (not at all ideal with current tech but doable) but those are a far cry from having the demands of much larger commecial/industrial work vehicles, airplanes and sea vessels where lithium-ion battery packs in the sizes required will just be too damn big and too damn heavy.

With some leapfrog "Eureka!" super compact, super lightweight and super energy dense battery technology maybe those limitations we have today will change but at current time we don't have anything like that available for reliable and long lasting enough for regular commercial sale.

Hydrogen does indeed have a future in some vehicle applications.

Last edited:

LinkMK5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 A91-CF, 21 X5 4.0i
All the push for EV's still ignores that the biggest polluters will always be industrial and commercial. We could all literally stop driving tomorrow (fun fact, we pretty much did that during March-May 2020) and it would have no appreciable difference to global carbon emissions. Hell, the push for EV's and hydrogen just keeps loading carbon emissions in the place where we already have huge problems with them already, large scale dirty power plants.