Need advice on buying

Neciovato

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Nissan Z Nismo
Like others have said - It is probably a good idea to walk away from this particular one. Within your own thread - you have concerns and to be honest - those concerns will grow IF anything - big or small start to show up after your purchase. I would just save the aggravation and leave that particular Supra alone.
Also - like others have said - this is one of the WORST times to buy a used car. Prices have surged bc of a combination of limited supply and high demand along with inflation. If you can wait to purchase, you'll be thanking yourself later once the market stabilizes; granted only you know your current status as to whether or not this will be a daily driver or not; but it might be best to wait it out some. You'll probably find the color you want along with a significant reduction in price.
To put things in perspective of how bonkers this market is - if you look at some sites like Carvana and Carmax - they are selling USED Honda Civic Type Rs for MORE than the MSRP of a new one. Let that one sink in for a minute. My current ride - a 370z Nismo with 35k miles - at one point was being offered close to $30k as a trade-in value; previously before the pandemic - I was being offered $22k with something like 15k miles - again it's a sellers market - NOT a buyers market. Regardless - you do you and good luck with whatever you decide.
Sponsored

Octane

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Supra
Like others have said - It is probably a good idea to walk away from this particular one. Within your own thread - you have concerns and to be honest - those concerns will grow IF anything - big or small start to show up after your purchase. I would just save the aggravation and leave that particular Supra alone.
Also - like others have said - this is one of the WORST times to buy a used car. Prices have surged bc of a combination of limited supply and high demand along with inflation. If you can wait to purchase, you'll be thanking yourself later once the market stabilizes; granted only you know your current status as to whether or not this will be a daily driver or not; but it might be best to wait it out some. You'll probably find the color you want along with a significant reduction in price.
To put things in perspective of how bonkers this market is - if you look at some sites like Carvana and Carmax - they are selling USED Honda Civic Type Rs for MORE than the MSRP of a new one. Let that one sink in for a minute. My current ride - a 370z Nismo with 35k miles - at one point was being offered close to $30k as a trade-in value; previously before the pandemic - I was being offered $22k with something like 15k miles - again it's a sellers market - NOT a buyers market. Regardless - you do you and good luck with whatever you decide.
The prices of used cars are insane right now. Carvana is offering me $55,000 for my '21 Supra with 2XXX miles. My dealership said they're willing to give me $56,000 for my Supra if I trade it in for another Toyota, or $54,000 outright.

I see a used Supra on Carmax selling for $59,000 and an A91 Supra selling for $61k.

It's a wild time for cars right now. People who didn't plan on selling, are selling their used cars just because of the market right now. For all I know, in a year, my Supra could be had for $45k once the market stabilizes. (Which is why I actually have my car up for sale now instead of waiting for my new car to arrive)

Neciovato

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Nissan Z Nismo
The prices of used cars are insane right now. Carvana is offering me $55,000 for my '21 Supra with 2XXX miles. My dealership said they're willing to give me $56,000 for my Supra if I trade it in for another Toyota, or $54,000 outright.

I see a used Supra on Carmax selling for $59,000 and an A91 Supra selling for $61k.

It's a wild time for cars right now. People who didn't plan on selling, are selling their used cars just because of the market right now. For all I know, in a year, my Supra could be had for $45k once the market stabilizes. (Which is why I actually have my car up for sale now instead of waiting for my new car to arrive)
In all honestly - if my Z was my 2nd car or if I had a 2nd car period - I would have sold the Z and waited for the new one to compare it to the current Supra and Honda CTR (so far the only cars that interest me); but since it's my daily - it means if I sell it, then I have to buy another car at such a huge price increase that it will negate any increased 'value' that I got from selling my car. Sooo...even though the Z doesn't hold it's value very well - I am going to wait for the market to stabilize some and go from there. Since my car is paid off - I figure it gives me 2-3 years to just save money and look to make a considerable downpayment on a car along with my trade in of the Z. It also allows for the reviews of the new Z and CTR to hit along with whether or not we'll see a manual in the Supra.
Being a car enthusiast is hard - bc as I look at this and it makes sense (to me at least) I can easily see myself trading in my Z for a Supra if the right price comes about haha :)

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Turbulence, 2021 Jeep Rubicon 4xe

It's all supply and demand. The problem is supply for sports cars is drying up fast. The real way to come out ahead would be to sell your used sports car now and then hold off buying another one for few years if you can once the market corrects. I just sold my 2020 Camaro for about an $8K profit and found a Supra for $5600 off MSRP but I had to work hard for that deal and inventory is shrinking really quickly. My local dealer actually had to trade with another Toyota dealer out of state because I wanted Turbulence Grey and there were none left in my state.

There is no way I would pay these prices for used sports cars right now, because once the market correct, people are going to see some huge drops. Like 40-50% easy.
Sponsored