Next-Gen Mustang to use CD6 RWD platform shared with current Explorer

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
On one hand a dedicated RWD platform is obviously the right move but I'm not sure this is an improvement over the current car's still relatively new and quite current unique RWD platform.

Requiring a scale up to the equivalent size of the Dodge Challenger doesn't sound to me like an improvement... unless turning the Mustang into a very heavy and porky poorer handling caricature of itself is supposed to be a good thing. The current car is quite big enough already. A potentially 4,000lb Mustang is not an appealing prospect.

https://leftlanenews.com/ford/next-gen-ford-mustang-to-borrow-explorer-platform/
Sponsored

kona61

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sold Launch Edition Supra #445
Vehicle Showcase
On one hand a dedicated RWD platform is obviously the right move but I'm not sure this is an improvement over the current car's still relatively new and quite current unique RWD platform.

Requiring a scale up to the equivalent size of the Dodge Challenger doesn't sound to me like an improvement... unless turning the Mustang into a very heavy and porky poorer handling caricature of itself is supposed to be a good thing. The current car is quite big enough already. A potentially 4,000lb Mustang is not an appealing prospect.

https://leftlanenews.com/ford/next-gen-ford-mustang-to-borrow-explorer-platform/
I mean, look at VW, the Atlas and the Golf use the same platform, and they are extremely different vehicles.

OP
OP
KahnBB6

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I mean, look at VW, the Atlas and the Golf use the same platform, and they are extremely different vehicles.
This is very true and we can look at Toyota’s multi-vehicle use of their TGNA (I think that’s right?) global architecture underpinning the nee Corolla hatchback and several other very different vehicles.

The trouble with this news about the Mustang’s future is one of increased scale and with that increased weight. The current model really is big enough at this point and the weight is already high enough.

Size and weight increases will affect handling and require even more horsepower, tire and brake for a given trim level.

Mustangs are not anywhere close to the handling machines that are Miatas or even the new A90. But they do have a current reputation for being athletic and “good” handling sports cars despite their size.

The larger Challenger is not known for any notable handling or athletic ability. That’s OK because that car always intended to be a straight-line bruiser. But a Mustang scaled up to that size (and probably weight) would lose something it currently has as part of its identity. It would get the straight-line performance part right of course.

Maybe I’ll be wrong though and Ford will do an excellent job on it without making it as large as the SUV architecture on which it will be based.

kona61

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sold Launch Edition Supra #445
Vehicle Showcase
This is very true and we can look at Toyota’s multi-vehicle use of their TGNA (I think that’s right?) global architecture underpinning the nee Corolla hatchback and several other very different vehicles.

The trouble with this news about the Mustang’s future is one of increased scale and with that increased weight. The current model really is big enough at this point and the weight is already high enough.

Size and weight increases will affect handling and require even more horsepower, tire and brake for a given trim level.

Mustangs are not anywhere close to the handling machines that are Miatas or even the new A90. But they do have a current reputation for being athletic and “good” handling sports cars despite their size.

The larger Challenger is not known for any notable handling or athletic ability. That’s OK because that car always intended to be a straight-line bruiser. But a Mustang scaled up to that size (and probably weight) would lose something it currently has as part of its identity. It would get the straight-line performance part right of course.

Maybe I’ll be wrong though and Ford will do an excellent job on it without making it as large as the SUV architecture on which it will be based.
I don’t know, the GT350 and GT PP2 both handle pretty darn well.

OP
OP
KahnBB6

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I don’t know, the GT350 and GT PP2 both handle pretty darn well.
^^ Oh they definitely do. That's my point. We have those currently on the existing excellent redesigned platform that only debuted in 2015. Granted the next gen Mustang may not arrive until 2026 meaning the existing platform will stick around for another seven years at most.

But when the next gen model does arrive it will be even bigger and likely heavier than the current model upon which the excellent GT350 and GT PP2 are based. When the article has a quote from a Ford exec stating that the Mustang will have to scaled up to the size of the Dodge Challenger which is dimensionally bigger and significantly weightier than the current-gen Mustang these factors are undoubtedly going to affect handling. It will have to do this because the CD6 RWD platform underpins so far a big SUV and will underpin full size sedans *and* the iconic pony car coupe.

I want to be wowed and surprised beyond my doubts but an all-around even bigger and heavier Mustang vs the current one which is IMO big and heavy enough doesn't smack of a major improvement. Maybe what it amounts to is that it's a lucky thing a RWD Mustang will survive in any form.

Especially since by that time there will be an unfortunate SUV version of it with nearly the same styling.

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
^^ Oh they definitely do. That's my point. We have those currently on the existing excellent redesigned platform that only debuted in 2015. Granted the next gen Mustang may not arrive until 2026 meaning the existing platform will stick around for another seven years at most.

But when the next gen model does arrive it will be even bigger and likely heavier than the current model upon which the excellent GT350 and GT PP2 are based. When the article has a quote from a Ford exec stating that the Mustang will have to scaled up to the size of the Dodge Challenger which is dimensionally bigger and significantly weightier than the current-gen Mustang these factors are undoubtedly going to affect handling. It will have to do this because the CD6 RWD platform underpins so far a big SUV and will underpin full size sedans *and* the iconic pony car coupe.

I want to be wowed and surprised beyond my doubts but an all-around even bigger and heavier Mustang vs the current one which is IMO big and heavy enough doesn't smack of a major improvement. Maybe what it amounts to is that it's a lucky thing a RWD Mustang will survive in any form.

Especially since by that time there will be an unfortunate SUV version of it with nearly the same styling.
Ford's plan seems to be to completely adopt the Ford Evos
http://forfordlovers.com/ford-evos-concept/