Nissan gets Skyline trademark back from Ford

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
Huh. Well now that makes sense. The Z was never really supposed to go after the Supra. The Skyline is supposed to contend with it. (Be funny if that BS I just said turns out to be true.)

bushido

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra, N180 4Runner
Infiniti Q50 = Nissan Skyline, in Japan

weird how Ford was able to file for the name.. while the same name was already in the market.. by the same manufacturer that's always had it. lol

AutoDelight

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' A91 Supra, 04' RX-8 GT, 95' RX-7 Base
Infiniti Q50 = Nissan Skyline, in Japan

weird how Ford was able to file for the name.. while the same name was already in the market.. by the same manufacturer that's always had it. lol
I believe it was trademarked in the US market. That is why we never had the Nissan Skyline name here in the US. The G35/G37 was a Nissan Skyline, I believe the first in the US but couldn't name it Skyline due to the trademark. The R35 GTR dropped the "Skyline" moniker due to being built on a whole new chassis while previously GTR's were sharing the Skyline Chassis.

EDIT:
Ford trademarked the Skyline moniker in 2021. Due to the Skyline never being brought to the US, nothing was trademarked prior or no other manufacturer trademarked it before.

When the US finally received the "Nissan Skyline (G35)", it was branded under Infiniti rather than Nissan for being a "luxury 2-door" and due to it being under Infiniti, they followed the model nomenclature that Infiniti already set up (G20, M30, Q45, etc). I do doubt that we would really get a "Nissan Skyline" here in the US but if we do, I wouldn't be surprised that it will be used for some CUV/SUV.. I'm still hurt but the Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross.....

Last edited:

bushido

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra, N180 4Runner
yeah, i know it started with the G35.. i remember the 'Skyline' body kits for the G lol

but wait, that's how it is? for example, the US can have Ford Ranger, but the Chinese market can have a Kia Ranger? kinda chaotic

i looked up "twinning models" and it's not a trend apparently. would occur decades ago but very uncommon

AutoDelight

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' A91 Supra, 04' RX-8 GT, 95' RX-7 Base
yeah, i know it started with the G35.. i remember the 'Skyline' body kits for the G lol

but wait, that's how it is? for example, the US can have Ford Ranger, but the Chinese market can have a Kia Ranger? kinda chaotic

i looked up "twinning models" and it's not a trend apparently. would occur decades ago but very uncommon
Trademarks are country specific. If you apply for a US trademark, its only in the US, you would need to apply for trademarks in every country. To your example, yes, there can be a Ford Ranger and a Kia Ranger. But if Kia were to bring the Ranger to the US, they would have to call it something different as Ford holds the Trademark to "Ranger" here in the US. But its two fold, it may not necessarily be that the Model name is trademarked but it could be marketing.

Best example i can think of is the Toyota Altezza versus the Lexus IS300. The Lexus brand was originally made to market an upscale Toyota specifically here in the US. At the time, would consumers buy an overpriced Toyota versus a "reasonable" priced Lexus?

Another example for marketing is Mazda. The Mazda 6 here in the US was known as the Mazda Atenza in international markets. The Atenza name didn't sit well with the marketing here in the US so they moved to a numbered naming scheme (3, 5, 6) that just marketed better in the US.

bushido

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra, N180 4Runner
Trademarks are country specific. If you apply for a US trademark, its only in the US, you would need to apply for trademarks in every country. To your example, yes, there can be a Ford Ranger and a Kia Ranger. But if Kia were to bring the Ranger to the US, they would have to call it something different as Ford holds the Trademark to "Ranger" here in the US. But its two fold, it may not necessarily be that the Model name is trademarked but it could be marketing.

Best example i can think of is the Toyota Altezza versus the Lexus IS300. The Lexus brand was originally made to market an upscale Toyota specifically here in the US. At the time, would consumers buy an overpriced Toyota versus a "reasonable" priced Lexus?

Another example for marketing is Mazda. The Mazda 6 here in the US was known as the Mazda Atenza in international markets. The Atenza name didn't sit well with the marketing here in the US so they moved to a numbered naming scheme (3, 5, 6) that just marketed better in the US.
the way you write is very much appreciated. thanks so much! great examples