Non-snow tire winter suggestions for cheap traction?

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
SO this is the deepest into Mid Atlantic winter tracking/time trials I have dove...
Embarrassed myself this weekend on 180 wear tires in cold 45deg rain Time trial event. Basically zero traction.

I do NOT need snow tires. I have a truck and other vehicles to drive in bad weather

Suggestions for a cheap-ish (because i am fine burning them up over a couple months)

I can probably just put all season Pilots back on my back up OEM wheels but didn't know if there was something better to heat up quickly and have traction at 40 deg?
Sponsored

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
SO this is the deepest into Mid Atlantic winter tracking/time trials I have dove...
Embarrassed myself this weekend on 180 wear tires in cold 45deg rain Time trial event. Basically zero traction.

I do NOT need snow tires. I have a truck and other vehicles to drive in bad weather

Suggestions for a cheap-ish (because i am fine burning them up over a couple months)

I can probably just put all season Pilots back on my back up OEM wheels but didn't know if there was something better to heat up quickly and have traction at 40 deg?
Performance related Michelin's are best. I daily'd my M2 in Germany with them. Lots of fun on cold roads, wet and or light snow. Mostly cold roads or moisture. Your enemy is temp. Snow tires and winter are not the same.

You want a winter performance tire and Michelin are best just not very inexpensive. Check Nokian possibly. Your all season was not a bad idea = Michelin. The obvious question for me is what were your fellow competitors using????????????????????????????????

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
I have a set of Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 on my GTI and they keep surprising me with their grip and all-weather combo. Obviously not a summer performance tire but they have been by far the most capable all-season tire I have used thus far.

Other all-seasons I have used like Continental DWS, etc feel mushy compared.

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
I have a set of Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 on my GTI and they keep surprising me with their grip and all-weather combo. Obviously not a summer performance tire but they have been by far the most capable all-season tire I have used thus far.

Other all-seasons I have used like Continental DWS, etc feel mushy compared.
I have the same on my M240i and agree with the above. Looking now for all seasons for the Supra. The tricky part is getting run flats in the right size. Sizes are limited.