Oil consumption

Klattu

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Current: Toyota Supra GR pro
Hi Guys
My 2020 Supra as used half a quart in 2,500 miles..is that anything to worry about?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ex-Owner '23 GR Supra 6MT
Howdy mate

Seems like slightly too much IMO, if that was normal that would mean like over 1 litre of oil consumption in 6k/7k ish miles which is roughly a regular service interval, hence why I think it seems excessive perhaps.

Will let the more experienced b58 gurus here chime in - from what I read, 2021s seem to be the most likely to have excessive oil consumption shenanigans.

Is it stock? Any track use? I expect these questions might help get more reliable answers šŸ‘

OP
OP
Klattu

Klattu

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

Optimusprimerib

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 manual base
Hi, I think the manual specifies a certain amount of consumption is normal. Iā€™m away from my owners manual and canā€™t confirm right now. But I believe the manual will claim itā€™s normal even if many pundits will disagree. Itā€™s hard to objectify how much is normal oil consumption though.

Blindspot

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra
Worrying about oil consumption is a vital step in your journey as a Supra owner ;) There are many threads, probably a few thousand posts, and zero consensus on what's okay and what means your engine is seconds away from imploding. Some cars seem to be oil-thirsty for a while and then chill out, some are perfectly normal, and a rare few require scary warranty engine work. Look for the main thread where many smart people have posted about their experiences and advice.

I think the '20s are generally pretty good. Did you buy it used, I assume?

TiE2000

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra
Had my 2021 for almost 2years now, regularly change the oil every 6000 miles. I need to add a quart about 3000 miles. Car now has 30k miles on it for reference. To me, this isnt a big deal. Every car is slightly different. I had 2015 s550 mustang GT that drank oil almost faster than the gas I filled it with. I didn't keep that car long. After the mustang had a 2018 Challenger Scatpack, that car was mechanically flawless and I put 100k hard miles on it.

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ex-Owner '23 GR Supra 6MT
Hi, I think the manual specifies a certain amount of consumption is normal. Iā€™m away from my owners manual and canā€™t confirm right now. But I believe the manual will claim itā€™s normal even if many pundits will disagree. Itā€™s hard to objectify how much is normal oil consumption though.
I have read the owner's manual quite thoroughly and unfortunately I have to say I didn't find this info in there.
It simply says that the electronic function to measure the oil will tell you when/if to add oil, but there's no 'normalization' or figures on oil consumption.

Maybe, just maybe, I vaguely recall there might be a couple of lines on this regarding the break-in period, but then again this would not be valid for the OP as the car is not new anymore.

OP
OP
Klattu

Klattu

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Howdy mate

Seems like slightly too much IMO, if that was normal that would mean like over 1 litre of oil consumption in 6k/7k ish miles which is roughly a regular service interval, hence why I think it seems excessive perhaps.

Will let the more experienced b58 gurus here chime in - from what I read, 2021s seem to be the most likely to have excessive oil consumption shenanigans.
Found this...put my mind at rest somewhat.
Screenshot_20230725_180450_com.android.chrome.jpg

Howdy mate

Found this... that's put my mind at rest somewhat

Found this.. that's put my mind at rest somewhat šŸ™‚

OP
OP
Klattu

Klattu

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
sorry about the multiple posts....not sure what happened

JoshuaQ

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Hi Guys
My 2020 Supra as used half a quart in 2,500 miles..is that anything to worry about?

Thanks in advance.
BMW states it's normal to need a top off after 1000-1200 miles, dependent on driving style, iirc. I've had oil consumption a couple of times, but I just top it off and move on. I'm going by the BMW manual where it's not this crazy scary broken pos thing, or w/e. BMW says it's normal to see it.

What I can't explain is why some do and some don't. I've seen theories, but nothing definitive, and I don't expect it.

Have they added anything to the new user manuals? I'd think after a couple of "lemons" (or wasted Supras) they would update the manuals or something.
Sponsored