2022 3.0 oil engine situation (over-consumption) questions

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Contact me if your an owner that also has had piston/rings replaced at the dealer. Curious about your stories..

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
The internet definitely helped this spread like wild fire. The problem is more related to new owners understanding the fact that high Hp turbo engines burn oil, mine included.

Yes there are cases where excessive oil consumption is real and needs a warranty claim. The majority of cases are 6-port owners needing to understand they can’t go 5-10K miles between oil changes and not need oil.

When the 6-port was released everyone was super thrilled with the Hp bump from 335whp to 382whp. But that jump also came with more oil consumption.

This has become more of an educational campaign at this point. Bottom line 6-port owners need to be more vigilant with oil level.

-RJM

BraveDemon

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra; 19 TTRS; 19 Velar P380 HSE; 15 GLA45 AMG
We still think this is a problem?
For some people I guess so. My 2022 doesn’t have the problem and I’ve been pretty spirited with it after break in. Oil levels were fine when I took it in for the first 10k.

If you’re hooning it then it’s reasonable to expect to change the oil sooner than the manufacturers stated intervals.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
The internet definitely helped this spread like wild fire. The problem is more related to new owners understanding the fact that high Hp turbo engines burn oil, mine included.

Yes there are cases where excessive oil consumption is real and needs a warranty claim. The majority of cases are 6-port owners needing to understand they can’t go 5-10K miles between oil changes and not need oil.

When the 6-port was released everyone was super thrilled with the Hp bump from 335whp to 382whp. But that jump also came with more oil consumption.

This has become more of an educational campaign at this point. Bottom line 6-port owners need to be more vigilant with oil level.

-RJM
This exactly.

Deighvid

First Name
Deighvid
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra Premium
2021 3.0

I got the warning twice and never again after 4200mi, including a super hard track day in there. I'm at 10k now, changing the oil tomorrow for the 3rd time in preparation for track day this weekend.

Now that I'm thinking about it...

Got a low warning at 3600mi and added 1qt

Dealership oil change at 4000mi (first ever oil change)

Warning light at 4200mi (suspicious)

Haven't seen the light again

Now I'm suspicious of the morons at the dealership and think the only real warning was at 3600mi. I bet they didn't top it off properly after they did the oil change at 4k

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Just to mention it again on this thread since the iDrive system is wacky: Most garages built onto homes are slightly sloped for drainage purposes. This could result in a false reading since the system itself is very sensitive. Usually this slope isn't significant, but I've noticed that some surprisingly are. Just something to keep in mind doing readings when returning home after a drive.

Last edited:

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
2021 3.0

I got the warning twice and never again after 4200mi, including a super hard track day in there. I'm at 10k now, changing the oil tomorrow for the 3rd time in preparation for track day this weekend.

Now that I'm thinking about it...

Got a low warning at 3600mi and added 1qt

Dealership oil change at 4000mi (first ever oil change)

Warning light at 4200mi (suspicious)

Haven't seen the light again

Now I'm suspicious of the morons at the dealership and think the only real warning was at 3600mi. I bet they didn't top it off properly after they did the oil change at 4k
Just for a point of reference:

https://carfluidpro.com/how-much-oil-should-a-car-burn-between-oil-changes/

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
I almost hate to post this.... lest I jinx myself....

2021 owner
bought on a Wednesday late 2020 and was at the track that weekend.

during 2021 I was adding a quart every 3-4 track events. Track buddy with a c6 Z06 added after every event so it did not bother me. 5-30 oil changes every 2 months

2022 I have NOT had to add any oil between oil changes which are still like every 2 months.
??
I just hit 18,000 mostly track and to and from the track mileage. non track weekends maybe drive to one car show a month.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Something else I should probably mention in this thread that may or may not be helpful: I have a Verus Air/Oil Separator (AOS) installed. The last time I had the air intake system out of the car (FTP intake pipe and JB4 installation), I removed and disassembled the AOS. There wasn't enough oil in the system that it was able to drain from the unit, but there was a coating with one a handful of places where a dot had collected. I imagine this will become a larger amount once I have some miles on the car (only at about 7k right now). It's basically insurance at this point. I have a Mishimoto catch can I've been putting off installing which I will likely have done the next time the car is at the local shop for brake and SPL component installation.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
catch cans do nothing on this platform. It self digests blow by as designed before it can get there.
Correct. Untill you know you need one. Then you need one badly. For 99% of people, we don't need this.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Correct. Untill you know you need one. Then you need one badly. For 99% of people, we don't need this.
@Rocksandblues

Are you saying this is true of all systems like this on this motor full stop (i.e., the Verus AOS), or specific to the location the catch can is installed on this motor?

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
@Rocksandblues

Are you saying this is true of all systems like this on this motor full stop (i.e., the Verus AOS), or specific to the location the catch can is installed on this motor?
My personal opinion it is not needed on our b58 set up. I base this on my experience, my tuner and a race team i hang with.

My .02 and I am not a NASA space shuttle level Motor builder myself. It certainly does not hurt anything to have one.

I also don't know anyone who have one that have actually caught anything significant. Does not matter the brand or high side low side etc.

MY .02- your mileage may vary
Sponsored