Oil filter mishap from another B58 engine.

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
Not too long ago, I had to change oil from non-supra B58 engine which also uses same oil & filter. All was going as expected until I pulled out oil filter.

20230730_175446.jpg

old filter was torn and missing bottom part. The construction of the filter is, basically, paper and plastic column in the middle so i heard it is common problem if you apply excessive force to open oil filter cap. But in this case, I did not use any force which lead me to believe that it was already broken and previous mechanic, cut the bottom of the filter to put this filter in. I tried to fish it out but the bottom part was stuck and won't come out and cannot put new one in because filter cap won't close as is. Easy 20 min. oil change was going over hours of figuring out what to do... Also.. used spoid to syphon out all the remaining oil in oil filter container.

So I went down to home depot and bought screws as long as I can get, 4 1/2 inches long.. and used angle grinder to made slit at the end of the tip to look somewhat like self-tapping screw.

20230731_135839.jpg

Then screwed it to the bottom part in the container to take it out.

20230731_135613.jpg

it went in quite a bit that I had to use tool to unscrew it from the broken piece. 4 1/2 was long enough but I would've preferred 5 inches. I hope it helps if it ever happens to you.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Drnick

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 supra premium
To me, it looks like oil filter was INSTALLED
Improperly, that doesn’t look like it was
REMOVED improperly!

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
If you don't properly seat the filter in the top cap part then the filter pleats at the bottom can get crushed when you screw the cap on. User error.

OP
OP
nibble

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
To me, it looks like oil filter was INSTALLED
Improperly, that doesn’t look like it was
REMOVED improperly!
That's my assessment. - The previous mechanic broke the filter while removing it and then, instead of removing broken part, cut the bottom of new filter to install it. And then it was my turn to change oil with this mess. at least I know I did this one right.

Drnick

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 supra premium
It’s a shame that the B58 motor didn’t come with a typical metal can spin on filter, that’s on the bottom of car!, like a Chevie🙄

ShakaDaKine

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 TG 3.0
I noticed that the HU 6022 Z Mann filter I just received has the same green o rings (see attached photo). Is it possible that these are counterfeit units? Are they supposed to be black?

20240418_134856.jpg

20240418_134907.jpg

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
Chartreuse o-rings usually indicate FKM/viton, which communicates durability in the presence of ethanol. All the Mann filters I've ever purchased have been green.

ShakaDaKine

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 TG 3.0
Okay guys...feeling better about using this filter. It seems to be holding up to the twist test. Thanks for the info.

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
Chartreuse o-rings usually indicate FKM/viton, which communicates durability in the presence of ethanol. All the Mann filters I've ever purchased have been green.
Viton/FKM orings biggest advantage in engine applications is their high temperature capability of around 400deg F (205 deg C) . The commonly found Nitrile o-rings upper temp limit is around 250 deg F (120 deg C) which can be exceeded locally in various parts of the engine cylinder head. having said that Nitrile o-rings have a small low temperature range advantage. Viton/FKM also have a chemical advantage and are resistant to gasoline and other fluids which Nitrile are not. Nitrile swells in gasoline which is ok in a static application but not in a moving application in Gasoline. When you disassemble a gasoline component that uses nitrile seals and o-rings you find the seal/o-ring has swelled and is not usually re-useable.

Phil

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
Viton the world! :D
Sponsored