Pirelli Sottozero Serie II's winter tires

Rotto

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supercharged 5.0 F-150, 1967 VW Westfalia
I am right on the fence with buying a 21 Supra, but winter tires are a big deal for me. I’m going to DD the car in New Hampshire, and I’ll be going up to the Mts to snowboard. I think it is a Car and Driver article that mentions Pirelli Sottozero Serie II's winter tires for the Supra. im guessing it will be $1500 to get these ordered and mounted, maybe more with TPMS. I’ve seen a few comments on the forum about buying winter tires, but not much when it comes to how they worked. The Pirellis seem expensive, but they keep the same stance as the factory. I saw that some of you guys bought aftermarket wheels and went with a square setup too though. Do any of you guys have some input? How was last winter in the Supra? It would really help me out. Thanks a lot!
Sponsored

Ale81

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350
I didn't have the Supra last winter but did DD a RWD Lexus RC350. I had a square setup on it and will do the same with Supra. I looked into the using the stock wheels but didn't want that wide of a tire on the back. It's been my experience that a slightly narrower tire does better in the snow. I will use 9" wide tire and you can find a much better selection.
I saw someone else post that their Sottozeros were around $1250 for the Supra if you go that route. Personally I went with Michelin X-Ice and they have performed well over four winters.

gtshnzr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Prem., 2015 Subaru XV, 2003 MINI JCW, 1972 TR6
Vehicle Showcase
Goodyear Eagle AS mounted on an extra set of OEM wheels w Toyota/BMW TPMS will set you back about $3,100. If a lot of snow (duh! It’s NH) go with Blizzaks dedicated snows

91B10FE0-25F8-40FF-91E6-219472186867.jpeg

Last edited:

Cruzifer

First Name
Valente
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra (Renaissance Red 2.0)
What's a square set up? I live in Ohio and though snow hasn't been a huge deal in recent years I'm still worried about my Supra. What tires can fit with the stock wheels? Or will I need to spend a ton fo money on a new set of wheels & tires?

kiroshino

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 WRX STI
What's a square set up? I live in Ohio and though snow hasn't been a huge deal in recent years I'm still worried about my Supra. What tires can fit with the stock wheels? Or will I need to spend a ton fo money on a new set of wheels & tires?
A square setup refers to non-staggered wheels, which typically means that your front/rear wheels are the same size. Our 2020 Supra's come with staggered wheels: 19x9's in the front, and 19x10's in the rear.

Snow/slush/ice are certainly concerns in the winter, but another factor is temperature. The summer tires that come with the Supra were not designed to perform well under 45F. At lower temperatures, the tires will actually harden, which will reduce grip even on completely dry surfaces. Winter tires were designed to remain pliable under 45F, improving grip in cold conditions.

You have a few options, each with their pros and cons:
  • Don't drive your Supra in the Winter
    • Pros: Keeps your Supra out of harsh/dangerous Winter conditions
    • Cons: Requires a second vehicle, if you need a car
  • Alternate Winter/Summer tires with your OEM wheels
    • Pros: ?
    • Cons: You need to transport and store the tires you aren't using
  • Get All-Season tires for your OEM wheels
    • Pros: Only one set of wheels/tires to worry about. Most affordable/convenient option
    • Cons: All-season tires don't generally perform as well as dedicated seasonal tires
  • Get a second set of wheels for Winter
    • Pros: You can get minus-sized wheels/tires (aka go down to 18" rims with narrower, higher profile tires), which is preferred for performance in the snow/slush
    • Cons: You need to store the wheels you aren't using
You can check to see how much your local Toyota dealership will charge to swap your OEM tires here: Toyota Tire Center
Sponsored