Summer/Winter Tires vs All-Season (CrossClimate)

supra23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra / Nitro Yellow
I live in the middle of Kansas and it gets cold in the winter (negative temps), so the summer tires won't work well here, so need to find something that will work for winter time.

I am leaning toward All-Season tires, possibly Michelin Sport All-Seaon 4 (AS4) or CrossClimate2 (CC2). Which All-Season tire would you recommend? The area I live in had a high of 115F about 10 days ago and December had a lot of -8F. I don't track, just daily driver - Although I want to have fun with this car (accelerate when a semi-truck is slow on the highway), safety is the top concern.

I know most on here would recommend having two sets of tires but it is a bit more cumbersome for my situation. Unless there is a significant reason against All-Season tires, I'd rather just have one set. Here are the reasons why I would like to avoid having 2 sets:

I live in small apartment with very limited space, no storage area in the apt, and outdoor parking. If I get winter/snow tires, i'd have to get a storage unit, to store summer/winter tires. I could buy tools/jack and try to change them myself outside of the public storage unit. I'm guessing I should store the tires in a climate controlled unit along with tools or opt to take them to the dealership to change them. This might work if I change my tires and do maintenance service twice a year at the same time. I'd also have to take the SUV to the dealership to transport the extra set of tires back and forth.

My local Toyota dealer doesn't work on Supras much, so it seems they don't have the (BMW?) equipment to do diagnostic checks. When I talked to them about first servicing, they said they do an oil change and visual inspection. Talked to a dealer in Kansas City, they have dedicated Supra technicians and the servicing takes several hours because the (BMW?) equipment takes a while. Additionally, everyone at my work dislikes the local Toyota dealership, they drive to Kansas City for servicing and purchases (2 hours away) - heard some really bad experiences with purchases and servicing. If I went this route, I'd really want to take it to Kansas City (2 hours one way).

Getting All-Season would be less expensive and much more convenient. I don't know how much a difference Michelin AS/CC2 would be against two sets (summer/winter) but I'm guessing not too bad?
Sponsored

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Although AS4 and CC2 (3PMSF) are excellent AS M+S tires, I'd recommend the AS Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 Plus.
CC2 isn't available for 255/35R19 nor 275/35R19 anyhow.

Yet, neither are dedicated snow tires. I believe you can store tires/wheels are some shops or rent a small storage.
If you daily your Supra, that would be your safest!!

Take it to any tire shop. You don't need the dealer to replace tires.

alan7467

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium
I've run CrossClimates on 3 different cars now. They're significantly better in the snow than non-snow rated all-seasons. I'd say they're worse in the summer though. You definitely get some of that winter tire marshmallow feeling, especially in warm weather.

If I could only have one set of tires year round I'd pick the AS4 (or Conti DWS 06), but I'd also avoid snow and ice.

OP
OP

supra23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Although AS4 and CC2 (3PMSF) are excellent AS M+S tires, I'd recommend the AS Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 Plus.
CC2 isn't available for 255/35R19 nor 275/35R19 anyhow.

Yet, neither are dedicated snow tires. I believe you can store tires/wheels are some shops or rent a small storage.
If you daily your Supra, that would be your safest!!

Take it to any tire shop. You don't need the dealer to replace tires.
Oh, didn't know some tire shop will do that, nice. There is a Discount Tire near me. Some of their stores do store tires! I'll check with them after work.

btw, thanks for the mention to the other thread - I was reading that one too. If I can store tired at the tire shop I might go that route.

I did see another thread where someone put 235/45/18 tires on all four wheels. Is this recommended for winter/snow?

Last edited:
OP
OP

supra23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I've run CrossClimates on 3 different cars now. They're significantly better in the snow than non-snow rated all-seasons. I'd say they're worse in the summer though. You definitely get some of that winter tire marshmallow feeling, especially in warm weather.

If I could only have one set of tires year round I'd pick the AS4 (or Conti DWS 06), but I'd also avoid snow and ice.
I've read very good things about the CrossClimates; good to know about the warm weather texture - it does get extremely hot here. I don't want to feel like I'm driving through marshmallow. Michelin doesn't seem to have as many size options as other brands.

Is this why people recommend Blizzaks more often than Michelin X-Ice Snow?

STV3

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
Do you have to drive in the snow regularly during the winter?

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I've read very good things about the CrossClimates; good to know about the warm weather texture - it does get extremely hot here. I don't want to feel like I'm driving through marshmallow. Michelin doesn't seem to have as many size options as other brands.

Is this why people recommend Blizzaks more often than Michelin X-Ice Snow?
size availability and price.
But CrossClimate 1/2 is not in the same category as Blizzak or X-Ice..
Michelin has great tire compounds for sure. Soft, comfy. Good performance on snow as well.
Just need to buy what suits your driving style and weather conditions..

OP
OP

supra23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Do you have to drive in the snow regularly during the winter?
We get snow, not heavy snow, The highways are usually clear of it and the smaller roads have tire-trails to drive on in-between the snow. There is a good amount of slush on the roads though. Lowest temp was -8. During the winter we had 78 days where the daily low was below 25F.

size availability and price.
But CrossClimate 1/2 is not in the same category as Blizzak or X-Ice..
Michelin has great tire compounds for sure. Soft, comfy. Good performance on snow as well.
Just need to buy what suits your driving style and weather conditions..
Yeah after reading some of the comments maybe about Operating Temperatures for All-Seasons, maybe Blizzak/X-Ice is the way to go if I can store the tires at Discount Tire.

STV3

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
We get snow, not heavy snow, The highways are usually clear of it and the smaller roads have tire-trails to drive on in-between the snow. There is a good amount of slush on the roads though. Lowest temp was -8. During the winter we had 78 days where the daily low was below 25F.

Yeah after reading some of the comments maybe about Operating Temperatures for All-Seasons, maybe Blizzak/X-Ice is the way to go if I can store the tires at Discount Tire.
Yeah def get a set of snow wheels and tires if you can. Driving this car in the snow without snow tires can get sketchy or simply just get you stuck.

Last edited:

Discount Tire

Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Car(s)
All Things Toyota
Oh, didn't know some tire shop will do that, nice. There is a Discount Tire near me. Some of their stores do store tires! I'll check with them after work.

btw, thanks for the mention to the other thread - I was reading that one too. If I can store tired at the tire shop I might go that route.

I did see another thread where someone put 235/45/18 tires on all four wheels. Is this recommended for winter/snow?
Assuming you will be running a squared wheel set up, the 235/45R18 will do the job. If I can assist you in any way, please feel free to reach out.

OP
OP

supra23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah def get a set of snow wheels and tires if you can. Driving this car in the snow without snow tires can get sketchy or simply just get you stuck.
I saw in another thread you are using 235/45/18. Does this lower the height of the car? Unfortunately, I think i lightly scraped the nose a couple of times with 19 oem even when driving slowly, at an angle. Some locations it's unavoidable. Just curious if I lose any clearance with the smaller tires. Kansas has some hills ><

Assuming you will be running a squared wheel set up, the 235/45R18 will do the job. If I can assist you in any way, please feel free to reach out.
I dropped by my local Discount Tire, and the Senior Assistant Manager was very helpful; made some suggestions for tires and wheels. He did mention they do offer tire storage for $100/year. The tires would be deflated, put into a box/container, and then shipped to Texas. I was gathering general info so I didn't ask any details about this process.

Does the $100/year fee include swapping the tires?

In regards to the container box, can you tell me about it a bit more? Is it a sturdy box or more of a bag?

How early in advance would I need to contact Discount Tire to get my tires shipped back to my local store?

STV3

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I saw in another thread you are using 235/45/18. Does this lower the height of the car? Unfortunately, I think i lightly scraped the nose a couple of times with 19 oem even when driving slowly, at an angle. Some locations it's unavoidable. Just curious if I lose any clearance with the smaller tires. Kansas has some hills ><
.3" lower in the rear but .3" higher up front. Got that info off Tire Size Calculator. I have never scraped with my winter wheels on either.

Discount Tire

Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Car(s)
All Things Toyota

I dropped by my local Discount Tire, and the Senior Assistant Manager was very helpful; made some suggestions for tires and wheels. He did mention they do offer tire storage for $100/year. The tires would be deflated, put into a box/container, and then shipped to Texas. I was gathering general info so I didn't ask any details about this process.

Does the $100/year fee include swapping the tires?

In regards to the container box, can you tell me about it a bit more? Is it a sturdy box or more of a bag?

How early in advance would I need to contact Discount Tire to get my tires shipped back to my local store?
Your tires and wheels will be packaged up so that the assembly is protected. Shipped to a tire storage facility, inventoried and stored until you need them.

I would budget a week to 10 days advance notice to have your tires/wheels delivered back to the store location of your choosing.

If tires/wheels are mounted already, there is no charge to have them reinstalled. If tires are loose, then there will be a charge to mount and dismount.
Sponsored