Random and Frequent iDrive Crashes: Carplay Related?

diablo2112

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 BMW M3 Competition
Over the last month, the frequency of the iDrive system crashing has increased. It now happens on almost any drive longer than about 5 minutes. They system will go blank, and takes a minute or 2 to reboot. This happens in a wide variety of conditions, including when the parking/backup camera are in use, when I answer a phone call, or (most especially), when I try to launch Carplay.

I'd say 2 out of 3 times I try to launch Carplay from the main menu screen for the first time after starting a trip, it goes goes either to the initial "Supra" boot screen or just blanks out and resets. I've tried rebooting iDrive (holding volume control in for ~30 seconds), rebooting my iPhone, and disconnecting/reconnecting my iPhone via the Comm menu. I deleted my iPhone and reconnected it, several times, and this doesn't help. Carply is close to being unusable now, and this is most annoying when you get a phone call over iDrive. You go to answer it, and the system just snap reboots.

I'm documenting this behavior here on the forum and am curious if others have had similar issues? I've had a dozen other BMWs, including my current M340i (with iDrive 7.0, not the 6.0 version in the Supra), and have never had these kinds of issue. The 3 BMWs I owned with iDrive 6.0 never had these issues, either. In fact, I can't recall a single reboot on any of these systems. I do hope Toyota is aware and working with the iDrive folks to find the cause of all this. I'm about 90% certain it's related to Carplay.
Sponsored

spta97

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 2020 BMW X3MC
Have you tried taking to the dealer to see if they can reset/upgrade the software?

On the BMW forum I'm on I learned there is a new March 2021 iSTEP update which improves some issues.

OP
OP
diablo2112

diablo2112

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 BMW M3 Competition
Have you tried taking to the dealer to see if they can reset/upgrade the software?

On the BMW forum I'm on I learned there is a new March 2021 iSTEP update which improves some issues.
I've avoided taking this into the local Toyota dealer, honestly. They know nothing about this car, and they'll want to keep it for days or longer. They can't even do a proper oil change, honestly. IMHO, Toyota should have worked a deal to have the BMW dealers service these cars, but they didn't. Eventually, if this doesn't improve, that's my last resort option.

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
I've noticed similar issues but not as frequent. I don't drive mine every day but I would say iDrive crashes at least once during an outing about 20-30% of the time, and seems to be only when CarPlay is active. It's annoying but not so bad as to force me to take it in to the dealer outside of the normal service schedule.

thoma011

First Name
Tray
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 GR Premium
This is happening to me as well. '21 GR Premium. Not always a full crash, but generally a hiccup that stops everything for 45seconds then returns to normal. Always when CarPlay is active, and nearly 100% of the time if I switch from Sport to Normal mode, right after the splash screen comes up. Have also noticed it happen every time I want to use CarPlay for music, but iDrive for navigation..

MSport

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra
Anything new on this mine just started
Sponsored