Recall coming - low beam headlights

JasonO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra LE
You guys are getting a Corolla or Camry if you come to my dealer. Toyota told me they replaced the parts but don’t know how to clear the malfunction message.

We have 4 or 5 rotting on the lot but not sure it they fall in the vin range yet.
Sounds like the alarm is latched in iDrive. If it is like the seatbelt and airbag alarms, Bimmercode will clear it. Changing a setting on the head unit (IIRC) and having it code will then have the app clear any present codes on resetting the ECU.
Sponsored

thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NONE. BOUGHT BACK - 2020 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
Apparently, they know the Vin range of what vehicle are affected.

Toyota apparently told all their dealerships to roll out the red carpet for supra buyers. Anytime I've needed a loaner even for a few hours, it's been an audi a4 or some other high end used car they have in stock.
Even an A4 is woefully inadequate. The Supra is on par with an S4, and when I owned an S4 I usually got an S4 service loaner.

Toyota knows how to do it right (Lexus is tops), I would (and probably will) advocate for the Supra being serviced at Lexus dealers. Given the customers they’re getting and who they wish to steal away like me - this needs to be the best they can offer all around.

thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sounds like the alarm is latched in iDrive. If it is like the seatbelt and airbag alarms, Bimmercode will clear it. Changing a setting on the head unit (IIRC) and having it code will then have the app clear any present codes on resetting the ECU.
No no no. It’s nothing that simple.

The part is a body ECU, and it can’t be cleared and reused. They’ve tried that - it’s not the same thing at all. The new parts need to be coded for the new vehicle otherwise the entire vehicle is a brick. Any cars that are “fixed” right now have lights that work but still flash the warning because it’s either leave the old body ECU (with warnings) or replace the ECU and have a dead brick.

JasonO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra LE
No no no. It’s nothing that simple.

The part is a body ECU, and it can’t be cleared and reused. They’ve tried that - it’s not the same thing at all. The new parts need to be coded for the new vehicle otherwise the entire vehicle is a brick. Any cars that are “fixed” right now have lights that work but still flash the warning because it’s either leave the old body ECU (with warnings) or replace the ECU and have a dead brick.
Toyota is so unready for this car. The parts that sold me on this car are the parts that are going to give Toyota fits until the support network catches up. These small first year production issues are becoming some real monsters.

OP
OP

fuzzysmith

First Name
Smith
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra - Nitro Yellow
They did toss me an s4 a couple of times too. No mechanical problems on mine, just trying to track down that rear speaker rattle.

thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota is so unready for this car. The parts that sold me on this car are the parts that are going to give Toyota fits until the support network catches up. These small first year production issues are becoming some real monsters.
Totally accurate.

JasonO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra LE
About to send in all my paperwork. I wonder when the sales stoppage will be lifted.
You should be allowed to get a VIN prior or after. The sales stoppage is only on a select number of total units. If you still want a Supra I don’t see why they would say no to that.

If I were in your shoes I’d ask for a refund then go buy an LE from one of the dealers selling decently below MSRP after being greedy for too long.

thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
You should be allowed to get a VIN prior or after. The sales stoppage is only on a select number of total units. If you still want a Supra I don’t see why they would say no to that.

If I were in your shoes I’d ask for a refund then go buy an LE from one of the dealers selling decently below MSRP after being greedy for too long.
So far the answer has been no replacement. I don’t want an LE because I don’t want a red interior (or exterior) but I hear you.
Sponsored