Left low beam malfunction

Discussion in 'Issues, Warranty, Recalls, TSB' started by thedude, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Half Vast

Half Vast Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    20 Supra, 01 Tundra Limited, 00 4Runner, 95 Corolla
    Liked:
    No pun intended there, I'm sure. :D

Glad this fiasco is coming to and end for you and you can finally enjoy the car. Hopefully this hasn't soured you on the Supra itself.

2. OP
    OP
    thedude

thedude Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    2020 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
    Liked:
    I financed through my credit union so the loan is being paid for and simply recollateralized with the new VIN. So my absolute payments (and costs to own) remain the same.

I have had the same thoughts regarding the delta in payments but actually I just drove a free rental car for 3 months. Not sure there’s much to warrant compensation for that.

My concern now is the warranty costs- I need to reach out to the lady in Michigan who cut us all sweetheart deals - if she can’t or won’t do that again then they’ll need to account for that.

I know I could do a little better just buying again but the hassle is too great and I could potentially be without a car for weeks, negating the savings if I had to procure a rental car, etc...

3. OP
    OP
    thedude

Car(s):
    Liked:
    I stopped by the dealer today to resign my loaner agreement (every 30 days). Spoke with the sales manager who had been apprised of my incoming vehicle.

Interestingly, he has a white premium on the lot that is close to my config, although it’s missing the CF mirror caps and some garbage like the first aid kit and cargo mat+bag.

He also couldn’t see an allocation to their dealer in white, which means that my car is either out of the normal channels or my order wasn’t submitted properly (wrong color).

He seemed pretty interested in selling me one off the lot, offering the CF caps free and omitting the delivery fee. Car was built in mid Oct according to his computer which I saw.

Wondering what others would do... I’m thinking there must be a reason why the person processing my replacement didn’t just have me get the one on their lot. More recent builds should in theory be better since BMW is known to continuously change out parts and tweak production stuff during the same model year.

Obviously I need to see what they ordered me, I still don’t have a VIN to reference.

4. Half Vast

Car(s):
    Liked:
    Personally, I'd wait to see what was ordered. I don't envy having to make your decision.

If the ordered vehicle doesn't meet your requirements, perhaps the one on the lot will still be there.

5. OP
    OP
    thedude

Car(s):
    Liked:
    I got a call today from the Toyota contact, she said the car is coming with my exact build sheet - stating that by law it has to be identical.

She also said the VP of the Koon’s Automotive group is involved and keeping tabs on this which is a solid bit of oversight by the dealership.

She also stated that despite the car possibly arriving there tomorrow, it will likely be another two weeks before all the backend paperwork and stuff with my bank is finished.

Even late January is sooner than I expected so bonus I guess.

6. Half Vast

Car(s):
    Liked:
    Sounds like you'll be made whole again, other than the hassle of dealing with this whole fiasco. Hopefully they'll provide some additional compensation for your troubles, even if it's just some swag. I think it's the least they should do. You've been incredibly patient.

7. OP
    OP
    thedude

Car(s):
    Liked:
    We’ll see. I’m barely expecting to come out of this “even”.

8. siMKV

siMKV Member

Car(s):
    20 SUPRA, 15 M2, 14 FRS, 10 STI, 02 WRX
    Liked:
    My case manager was able to upgrade me on a lot along with choosing what color I wanted specs etc.

9. OP
    OP
    thedude

Car(s):
    Liked:
    Yeah, I know that lemon laws are specific to the state, so they may have the leeway in your home state. Apparently I must be given the identical configuration by law in Virginia.

10. dd1eye

dd1eye Member

First Name:
    Derek
    Car(s):
    Supra MK5
    Liked:
    My latest update. Toyota agreed to give me back all of the money I spent on the car (minus $75). Toyota worked with my local dealer to get me extensive discounts on a new car which I picked up yesterday. The general manager at my dealer went out of his way to make sure I was happy. I lost a lot of time in the process but in the end I saved a lot of money and have a new car.

Denton likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    thedude

Car(s):
    Liked:
    Care to ballpark what “extensive discounts” are? I would like to be able to compare to what my dealer puts in front of me.

12. dd1eye

dd1eye Member

First Name:
    Derek
    Car(s):
    Supra MK5
    Liked:
    I paid $500 over invoice and all extra fees like doc fees were waived. Total process took 77 days from the day I took it in.

13. OP
    OP
    thedude

Car(s):
    Liked:
    Thanks. I’m already at 103 days as of today.

14. Axix23

Axix23 Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Gt30r dc5, k20z1 eg8, and Bagged cd5
    Liked:
    Well, somebody returned a 1400 mile used 2020 Supra which has a recall on it and a dealership is selling it now. Still has an open recall on it according to the NTSA website:
    How accurate is that website on open recalls even if its fixed recently?

1Unrepaired Recallsassociated with this VIN
    Nov 27,2019
    Manufacturer Recall Number19TB20
    NHTSA Recall Number19V850
    Recall StatusRecall Incomplete, remedy not yet available
    SummaryCertain left and/or right headlamp(s) may experience a loss of function. If a loss of function to the left and/or right headlamp occurred, this would affect headlamp illumination and turn-signal function.

Safety RiskDriving without a turn signal or with both headlamps disabled could increase the risk of a crash.

RemedyToyota is currently preparing the remedy. The remedy, when available, will involve replacing the affected headlamp control unit FREE OF CHARGE.

15. Tsar

Tsar Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    2020 Supra
    Liked:
    How could it be fixed if there's no remedy yet for the problem?

When I ran my VIN is said data was from yesterday.