F1KINRAH

First Name
Harnick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Mercedes C300 | 23' Supra MKV
Hello everyone!

I recently picked up my 23’ supra MKV (April 2nd) brand new and am loving it so far.

I’m about 4000kms (approx 2500miles) in and started noticing that my RPM’s experience a 100rpm drop on idle. (Around every 2-3 minutes?)

I only started noticing this about a week ago after a night of doing some pulls and driving a little hard. (I’ve driven it harder before and did not have this issue.)

So far, I tried searching the forums and google but only found 1 post here which described exactly what I’m going through.

Some replies stated that it’s normal but I just wanted to see whether anyone else is experiencing this issue and whether I should be concerned.

edit: I’d also like to state that I recently got an oil change/service done from toyota about a week & a half ago.

Car is also stock.
Sponsored

Last edited:

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Mine never drops that low. Plug in your scan tool and see what it says when it does that.

OP
OP

F1KINRAH

First Name
Harnick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mine never drops that low. Plug in your scan tool and see what it says when it does that.
Sorry, I should re-word that. It doesn’t drop to 100rpms but it’s a 100rpm drop…if that makes sense.
Do you experience something similar?

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
OP
OP

F1KINRAH

First Name
Harnick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
Yea I was actually looking at that earlier.
the only thing is that it the rpms fluctuate. It’ll drop 100rpms, then go back up to normal, then drop again.

I will create a video and add it here soon!
It's an engine not a metronome. How hard do people look at their cars, sheez. Things like the a/c cutting in and out can affect idle speed like this as the engine management system can't respond instantly to the changing load. So it goes sub idle for a fraction until the ecu responds.
Engines these days and for many years are ecu controlled and subject to the same control variability as your laptop, Iphone or TV set plus more. None of those things work perfectly all the time either as endless updates and patches prove. Same for your car, it's never perfect.

Phil

OP
OP

F1KINRAH

First Name
Harnick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
It's an engine not a metronome. How hard do people look at their cars, sheez. Things like the a/c cutting in and out can affect idle speed like this as the engine management system can't respond instantly to the changing load. So it goes sub idle for a split second until the ecu responds.

Phil
Understandable LOL.

This is my first "BMW" so I don't have much experience when it comes to performance cars/engines apart from research...I'm coming from a W204 C300.
If I notice my car doing something that it doesn't usually do, I'm gonna trip out.
I guess I'll just ignore it and continue to have fun.

Appreciate the insight.

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
Understandable LOL.

This is my first "BMW" so I don't have much experience when it comes to performance cars/engines apart from research...I'm coming from a W204 C300.
If I notice my car doing something that it doesn't usually do, I'm gonna trip out.
I guess I'll just ignore it and continue to have fun.

Appreciate the insight.
Yea don't stress. I'm older and am still thankful I dont need to coax and cajole an engine to start then manage the hell out of it until it warms up, lol. Well not on a road car anyway.
Phil

Fuji808

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Nocturnal Supra Premium
those were the good old days.
carbureted V8 hot rods.
i remember when too. :cool:

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yea I was actually looking at that earlier.
the only thing is that it the rpms fluctuate. It’ll drop 100rpms, then go back up to normal, then drop again.

I will create a video and add it here soon!
Gotcha. I see what you’re saying now. Totally normal like Phil said. Mine plays a little engine song 🎶 after starting up. Going between low (600 rpms) and high octaves, lol. She’s catless and has an AWE track exhaust so you can’t help but hear it 🙉

The Mazda MX5 however, when you start up take it out of gear, she always goes to a solid (doesn’t move) high RPM for about 10 seconds. I always let it do its thang, then I go. Every car we got is different. Like people. Makes them more unique 😉

OP
OP

F1KINRAH

First Name
Harnick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Gotcha. I see what you’re saying now. Totally normal like Phil said. Mine plays a little engine song 🎶 after starting up. Going between low (600 rpms) and high octaves, lol. She’s catless and has an AWE track exhaust so you can’t help but hear it 🙉

The Mazda MX5 however, when you start up take it out of gear, she always goes to a solid (doesn’t move) high RPM for about 10 seconds. I always let it do its thang, then I go. Every car we got is different. Like people. Makes them more unique 😉
You don’t know how relieved I am to read what you and Phil said.
I thought I was gonna have to take a trip to the dealer😭
only a month into ownership as well.

appreciate y’all once again🤝

_Sp1ral0ut

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 2021 Tahoe, Razor E100
What oil are you running? I heard 0w-20 can cause this. You should switch to 2w-14. Best oil there is.