RPMs fluctuate randomly

j-ian

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 GR Supra
I just got the 23' model a week ago and only got 125 miles on it.

This happens kinda randomly. I've experienced it 4 times, 3 times when i was at idle/park, and one time when I was in reverse.
It revs +400rpm every second, regardless if its idle or when I'm pushing the accelerator. (If I held it at 2000rpm, then it would fluctuate around 2000-2400rpm)
It mostly happens around 4-8 minutes after a cold start, but Its also happened once when I already drove it prior.

I tried to wait if it would go back to normal, longest I've waited was 15-20 seconds and it was still fluctuating then I had to turn the engine off.
The issue seems to go away when I turn the engine off and on again.

Could it be bad gas? software issue? or some faulty engine component?

Sponsored

Josh George

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
I have had that happen to mine a couple of times before but I've never had an issue with it. Not sure why it happens

Alecd27

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 3.0 premium
Happens to me as well, although seemingly only in very specific circumstances (I need to do a cold start, drive the car a bit, and then turn the engine off before it fully warms up; when I turn it back on, that’s when RPMs will fluctuate like this). It never really bothered me much, doesn’t seem to impact driving/performance all. Think I read somewhere once that it’s normal for the b58. I’ve got a 2023 3.0 with about 11k miles FWIW

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
This typically means the engine has a vacuum leak, which causes this described symptom known as "hunting." The ECU is trying to reach homeostasis on the air/fuel ratio, but constantly plays tug of war with itself as the air metering is not consistent or predictable. So it bounces back and forth between too much fuel, too much air, and so on. RPMs surge and fall correspondingly.

The best way to diagnose is to smoke test the intake and manifold, using one of the sensor ports on the charge pipe from the turbo. Just pull the sensor and use the hole.

There are other possibilities, here, but this is the most common. You can make the dealer deal with it, or a smoke tester of reasonable quality runs a hundred Bezos bucks.

OP
OP
j-ian

j-ian

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 GR Supra
Sorry for the late reply,

I brought it to the dealer last month, they only reset the computer and got it back the next day.
It seems the issue got fixed, I haven't experienced it so far :)
Sponsored