Should i get paint correction before ppf?

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Absolute Zero Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2015 GTI
The toyota dealership where I put my reservation said they wont be washing the supra at all because they don't want to put scratches in the paint. They usually leave it to the buyer to wash it unless the buyer request them to clean it. My plan is to drop it off for ppf as soon as I get it out of the dealership. That way I can really enjoy the car with an ease of mind. I wanted to do stage 1 paint correction at the very minimum to make the car as nice as possible too but I will have to talk to the shops about it some more.
Hopefully they actually do as you said. Mine didn't. Took shipping wrap off and washed..
Sponsored

OP
OP

Jashua

First Name
Jashua
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Hopefully they actually do as you said. Mine didn't. Took shipping wrap off and washed..
My BIL said they're very careful when it comes to the supra. Also, I even told him not to wash the car or put on the front plate.

OP
OP

Jashua

First Name
Jashua
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
You want to be very careful with clearbra on aftermarket paint. Some paints I've seen peel off with the clearbra during removal. Clearbra is a wear item and needs to be replaced after a couple of years usually.. unless it's garaged most of the time away from UV.. even so, they discolor after about 5yrs use especially noticeable on lighter color cars. My silver car has 8 yr old clearbra and looks fine so far, but could not say the same on my white car and was replaced.
The car will be garage 90% of the time since I won't have much time to drive it. Hopefully the ppf will last longer that way? šŸ˜…

CrimsonSupra

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Toyota GR Supra 3.0 Premium
While some PPF brands have an integrated hydrophobic layer, ceramic coating over top of the film is the move. This addresses some of the flatness in appearance you get from transparent plastic sitting on top of a clearcoat and adds some additional UV protection. The coating also helps seal the seams/edges of the film in areas where it couldnā€™t be fully tucked. As previously stated, paint correction only needs to be done on an as needed basis depending on the condition of the paint. The Supra paint is soft as hell, so you can actually create more work by being unnecessarily aggressive. I typically have my installer check my film every 5 years or so on my vehicles. If it still looks good and isnā€™t yellowing or cracking, itā€™s fine. The main thing is not letting the film age so much that it comes apart in small pieces and leaves tons of adhesive residue upon removal since thatā€™ll add labor to the replacement cost.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
The car will be garage 90% of the time since I won't have much time to drive it. Hopefully the ppf will last longer that way? šŸ˜…

I usually run clearbra, but since most places around here (including myself) only install pre-cuts the edges were quite visible on my black car. I installed one part way and decided I did not like the visible edges and removed it. I just drive 5sec+ behind the car in front of me.

I too only drive like 1000 miles a year and only in light traffic. So far I got like 4k miles on the car since taking ownership in 2020.. no chips on the bumper. It's really the rockers that require clear bra on this car. I have a whole bunch of very tiny scratches from front tire kick up that I can see if I squat down and stare at it from like 2-3ft away. Luckily I'm not that anal so I let it go (there's other parts of the car like BMW's parting lines that have bigger irregularities :crazy: ) but decided to make my own clearbra pattern last year and installed it. I cut it so that I can't see the edges from close proximity. Wish I had done it the day I bought the car however.. GL with whatever you decide.
Sponsored