Should I get an AT in the meantime?

Goko

First Name
Goko
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium MT
I put down a deposit for a MT back in May 2022 so it has been around 18 months of waiting for an allocation. I have the opportunity to purchase an automatic and I do plan on trading in the car when the manual arrives. So should I get the automatic? How much of a loss should I expect when trading in? Also, I will be getting both at MSRP. Thanks
Sponsored

SavagePassenger

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2016 WRX
Well personally I would with that wait time lol. Depending on the dealer who knows when they will get a 6spd allocation. You'll definitely be out some trading back in even if the final pricing before tax etc is msrp. Might be worth it if you're sick of waiting, and it will give you time to realize the ZF8 is the superior transmission choice too!

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
Yeah, the AT is pretty great on the GR Supra. I would just get the AT and call it a day.. concentrate on other aspects of the car or your life.

AndyK5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Nitro Yellow MT
With auto purchase you will lose money in the short term. Lets say $60k msrp + $6k fees = 66k OTD, sell in 6 months to 1 year ~$55k, you are in the hole $11000.

If you leased it instead you won't pay the tax upfront but will pay acqusition fee in that case it will be $60k + $2.5k in fees (reg, aq fee, first month payment), 62.5-55 = 7500 in the hole.

If you really want the manual, instead of waiting or swapping out cars etc.. just find a dealer that has one in stock, or has one coming in, kindly ask what they want for it and then pull the mark up down to a reasonable $3k or less and be done. Don't forget, this is a $60k car and $3k markup is barely 5% of the MSRP, which is why I consider it very reasonable.

Given that math here are some current best case scenario markups for other cars

GT3, GT4RS 200k MSRP ~50k mark up = 25%
GT3RS 350k MSRP 150k mark up = 42%
CTR 45k MSRP 8k mark up = 18%
Z06 120k MSRP 30k markup = 25%

This is not a game of pride, pay the money, get the car you want.

Crypto79

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra A91 MT, 1997 sc300 5 Speed
Or give up on your dealer and find the car you want nationally. I started shopping for an A91 Mt on a Tuesday in early Nov 22. I drove one home that Friday for about a 6k markup (65k) How much is 18months of your life worth?

OP
OP
Goko

Goko

First Name
Goko
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Are you searching around your neighborhood only? There is tons of MT available nationwide at msrp.
I live in the mid west but I have reached out to other states. Iā€™m particularly looking for a MT in Stratosphere so a little harder to come by without being presold.

OP
OP
Goko

Goko

First Name
Goko
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Or give up on your dealer and find the car you want nationally. I started shopping for an A91 Mt on a Tuesday in early Nov 22. I drove one home that Friday for about a 6k markup (65k) How much is 18months of your life worth?
I donā€™t mind paying a little over MSRP but every Stratosphere MT is either pre sold, 10k over MSRP or the dealership does not sell to customers out of state.

Eddy90

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra MT
I donā€™t mind paying a little over MSRP but every Stratosphere MT is either pre sold, 10k over MSRP or the dealership does not sell to customers out of state.
Crazy back in Jan-March, every damn MT was Stratosphere or White.
I was looking for a Yellow or Red back then, and it was impossible..

AndyK5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Nitro Yellow MT
Crazy back in Jan-March, every damn MT was Stratosphere or White.
I was looking for a Yellow or Red back then, and it was impossible..
Yellow is now basically completely impossibleā€¦Yellow MTā€¦evene more impossible ā€¦.foreverā€¦hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Yes I have a yellow MT :cool:

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
Goko... plain and simple: If your personal preference is to have a manual transmission in a car like this then somehow, however you do it, find a 3.0L M/T.

If you've never been totally hard set on getting an M/T over an A/T then only you can say for certain how badly you may want an M/T Supra vs an A/T Supra and how unyielding you will be about getting an M/T.

There's enough that has been said in this forum already to help anyone here decide between an M/T or an A/T as to which is best for personal preference.

This is the last traditionally powered M/T Supra generation with an un-electrified gas internal combustion engine however. Even if the next generation still offers some kind of combustion engine still with a manual transmission it will undoubtedly be a gas-electric hybrid at that point.

For remaining new model years of this generation Supra we've got MY2024, MY2025 and we should have a final MY2026. Hopefully the manual option remains available for all three.

So on that basis, if what you ultimately really want is a traditional type Supra *with* the manual transmission then keep looking for one until you find one.

I suggest also researching other Toyota dealers both in your state and out of state (which will do out of state sales) which may be getting allocations faster than the dealer you have been working with.

It is not uncommon for some people to have deposits down with two or more dealers for the GR model, trim and options they're looking for to increase their chances of playing at Toyota's allocation game.

66joeyn

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler 2023 Supra
I also think you are wasting your time. I put money down on a mt in August of 22 and got mine in April of 2023. I think you need to find another dealer. I purchased mine several states away and paid 1k over msrp. Just keep looking.
Sponsored