Slight Squeal/Squeak when I brake lightly from mid to high speed (13,000 miles)

aspaw1n

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0 Premium - Turbulence Gray
Hi all,

I can hear squealing/squeaking coming from the rear right side (if I drive and open windows). It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen maybe 20% of the time I brake (just guesstimated, it doesn't squeal all the time).

It's the first time I've encountered this on the Supra --- happened with my previous 22 5.0 Mustang, but it just kinda went away.

I visited two Toyota dealerships today -- the first one couldn't replicate the issue but found no problems with the pads/rotors on both front and rears.

The second dealership said that he was able to replicate the issue but looked at the both pads/rotors and found no issues as well. The service foreman says that it's probably just performance pads doing their thing, but this is the first time it's happened since I bought the car at 13 miles.

--If it makes any difference, not that it matters, but it happened about 1-2 days (monday/tuesday) after driving home from Monterey car week (Saturday). It was raining on the way home, but it wasn't pouring. It's been 2 weeks since the noise, definitely comes and goes but I think it's less than it was a week ago.

Should I be worried?

Thanks!
Sponsored

racebuild

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW
BMW brake pad wear sensors are known to make noise. One installed in the front left, one in the right rear.

We used to shave the sensor tip down slightly and also dab a bit of brake glue on the sensor before snapping it into the slot. This would keep the sensor from vibrating causing the brake squeal.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
These are performance brakes. They're made to have heat in them. They'll squeal when they're cold. Brake like you mean it.

OP
OP
aspaw1n

aspaw1n

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0 Premium - Turbulence Gray
These are performance brakes. They're made to have heat in them. They'll squeal when they're cold. Brake like you mean it.
I usually do brake like I mean it -- but yeah, I started actually braking harder when I drove to work this morning and it didn't squeal as much as it did prior.

I get that they're performance brakes, but I've had my windows open last year, early this year, and even a couple weeks ago, and they've never made the squeal/squeaking noises until now, so I thought I maybe fucked something up :cry:.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
I usually do brake like I mean it -- but yeah, I started actually braking harder when I drove to work this morning and it didn't squeal as much as it did prior.

I get that they're performance brakes, but I've had my windows open last year, early this year, and even a couple weeks ago, and they've never made the squeal/squeaking noises until now, so I thought I maybe fucked something up :cry:.
You might have a pad deposit on your rotor. Go on a quiet road, and brake HARD from 70mph to 5mph WITHOUT STOPPING 3 or 4 times in a row, then drive around for 10 minutes letting them cool down.

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2016 VW Tiguan, 2007 Cayman
BMW brake pad wear sensors are known to make noise. One installed in the front left, one in the right rear.

We used to shave the sensor tip down slightly and also dab a bit of brake glue on the sensor before snapping it into the slot. This would keep the sensor from vibrating causing the brake squeal.
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is brake glue?

I tucked the wear indicators out of the way and didn't reinstall when I did my most recent brake job. I track my car several times a month and regularly inspect my brakes. Probably the wrong answer. 😆