Stock Supra in SCCA (BS) B-Street Autocross

30MilesOffshore

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
If your running stock class in Autocross, it looks like we will be in BS class. Please feel free to share any feedback/tips/pointers or setup options for running in this class. The start of the 2020 season will be here in a couple of weeks!
Sponsored

SCCA Racer#75

First Name
Dave`
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2018 ZL1 1LE
Happy to help! I am running the car in BS right now... so far the mods that you can do:

Cusco Front Sway Bar
BC-Forged 18" Wheels
Yokohama Advan A052 Tires
G-Loc Brakes

I'm currently in discussion with a couple of shock companies, leaning towards a set of Double Adjustable MCS Shocks.

Let me know if any questions I can help with.

I also have a couple vids online, Youtube channel: SCCAForums

Best regards,
Dave

SCCA Racer#75

First Name
Dave`
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2018 ZL1 1LE

SCCA Racer#75

First Name
Dave`
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2018 ZL1 1LE
I think the 285 is best for overall gearing, as the car is most competitive just putting it in 3rd gear.

The Yokohama only has 265, 295 or 315. Which I’ve run all three. The 265 square could also be a solid combination... as the Yoko has a softer sidewall, which seems to prefer stretched vs. pinched. I just run the 295 square so I can discount and rotate.

Best Regards,
Dave

white_turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2009 Nissan GTR/2006 Mitsubishi Evo/2020 Toyota Supra (maybe?)
Vehicle Showcase
I am assuming you run both tires on OEM size wheels? Which tire do you like more? Does the "pinch" Yoko affect grip enough to make it not worth while and just go with the RE71R?

SCCA Racer#75

First Name
Dave`
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2018 ZL1 1LE
I am assuming you run both tires on OEM size wheels? Which tire do you like more? Does the "pinch" Yoko affect grip enough to make it not worth while and just go with the RE71R?
I'm running OEM widths, but went down to 18" diameter BC-Forged wheels to be able to run the Yoko and/or the Bridgestones.

I like the Yok's for ultimate laptimes... but the RE71R is right there with it... and wear seems to be better.

I haven't noticed the pinched effect for the Yoks... but to be honest... I haven't played with a 'fitted' tire... some have said I may be better off trying to just run 265's square... to fit the wheel better... I just can't seem to give up the extra width. :) But the Yok sidewall is soft... I just run more Air Pressure, and seems to work.

Best regards,
Dave

white_turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I like the Yok's for ultimate laptimes... but the RE71R is right there with it... and wear seems to be better.
I think the general consensus is that Yoko is far better on cars with enough camber (I assume that's dynamic), so it seems to be the 2020 choice for STR (or even 2019). On Street class though, some say with the combination of non-optimal wheel width and lack of camber, the tires just won't work. Since I run in Street, I am trying to figure if Yoko is even going to be worth it if ultimately the speed difference is just noise, especially given the price on the Yoko.

I haven't noticed the pinched effect for the Yoks... but to be honest... I haven't played with a 'fitted' tire... some have said I may be better off trying to just run 265's square... to fit the wheel better... I just can't seem to give up the extra width. :) But the Yok sidewall is soft... I just run more Air Pressure, and seems to work.
Same here, it's just hard to tell unless you do a back to back test on your own car to see for yourself. E.g. I run 285 front on my 9.5 wheel, but 275 will fit significantly better with better feel and response. However, I have never run them side by side to really assure myself that 285 isn't any faster.

SCCA Racer#75

First Name
Dave`
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2018 ZL1 1LE
I think the general consensus is that Yoko is far better on cars with enough camber (I assume that's dynamic), so it seems to be the 2020 choice for STR (or even 2019). On Street class though, some say with the combination of non-optimal wheel width and lack of camber, the tires just won't work. Since I run in Street, I am trying to figure if Yoko is even going to be worth it if ultimately the speed difference is just noise, especially given the price on the Yoko.

Same here, it's just hard to tell unless you do a back to back test on your own car to see for yourself. E.g. I run 285 front on my 9.5 wheel, but 275 will fit significantly better with better feel and response. However, I have never run them side by side to really assure myself that 285 isn't any faster.
Yeah, I honestly have been + or - .2 on either setup. So the Bridgestone probably makes the most sense, especially locally.

What car are you running with a 9.5” wheel?

Best Regards,
Dave

white_turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What car are you running with a 9.5” wheel?
I run a 2009 GTR in SS. Front wheels are 9.5" and rear are 10.5", so really under tire for a 3800lb car.

SCCA Racer#75

First Name
Dave`
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2018 ZL1 1LE
I run a 2009 GTR in SS. Front wheels are 9.5" and rear are 10.5", so really under tire for a 3800lb car.
Oh yeah, that’s a tough car with that much weight and a 9.5” front.,. Got it.

Best Regards,
Dave

OP
OP
30MilesOffshore

30MilesOffshore

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Had my first race over the weekend and gotta say that the car is hard to read. The gearing was a little off for me and ended up running the course in 3rd gear which seemed to be optimal for our setup. Shifting gears on the course was ok, but I found the shifts to be too delayed for my liking.

With the helmet on and wind buffeting it also made it hard to get feedback when it came to listening to the RPM for redline. After the race, I realized that I had coded and disabled the active sound in the cabin, so next race I will make sure to code/enable that feature again. Hopefully, hearing the fake engine sound in the cabin will help me judge the RPM a little better.
Sponsored