Supra 6MT vs Porsche 997.2 (PDK most likely)

Tacoma714

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra A91 CU Later Grey, 2015 Taccoma, 2013 A
I’ve had my 2023 A91 6MT since February 2023 with 5,537 miles. I’m considering selling it or trading it in for a 2010-2012 Porsche 911 Carrera S. What are you guy’s thoughts or maybe any past Porsche owners in this forum? Would it be an upgrade, lateral move or downgrade?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
Upgrade from fit and finish You lose the low end torque but gain a rev happy h-6 engine that begs to scream. Really a per choice if daily or weekend car. Both are around same hp I am a fan of the P cars. They are pretty perfect. Their paddles are better than our paddles and their manual are better than bmw manual

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
Upgrade from fit and finish You lose the low end torque but gain a rev happy h-6 engine that begs to scream. Really a per choice if daily or weekend car. Both are around same hp I am a fan of the P cars. They are pretty perfect. Their paddles are better than our paddles and their manual are better than bmw manual
Perfect summary. An easy switch if 911 is a dream for you that can be obtained OP. Go for it!

Souprahman

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Tacoma TRD Sport
What a coincidence. I my buddy just got a manual 997.2 S and we were driving it back to back with my 23 MT. Steering, clutch feel, shifter are much heavier and direct compared my Supra. Although my supra felt quicker due to the torque, the 997 had no trouble keeping up on the straights. Not gonna lie, the Supra steering felt like a Camry right after I got back from the 911. My Supra got tons more attention though!

OP
OP
Tacoma714

Tacoma714

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
What a coincidence. I my buddy just got a manual 997.2 S and we were driving it back to back with my 23 MT. Steering, clutch feel, shifter are much heavier and direct compared my Supra. Although my supra felt quicker due to the torque, the 997 had no trouble keeping up on the straights. Not gonna lie, the Supra steering felt like a Camry right after I got back from the 911. My Supra got tons more attention though!
How funny and what perfect timing for my question. How did the interior of the Porsche feel as far as space and comfort or seating position? I would definitely miss the low end torque of the B58, but in reality I just need enough power to get around slow cars in traffic, merge quickly or maybe hit some fun twisty roads once in a while. That’s the most I do personally. I don’t track my cars.

OP
OP
Tacoma714

Tacoma714

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Perfect summary. An easy switch if 911 is a dream for you that can be obtained OP. Go for it!
It has always been a dream car. Classier and more traditional sports car. The A91 fell in my lap February 2023 after a few months of calling around and being dealerships “lists”. When I got the call it was either take it or they would call the next person because the original buyer who ordered it had fallen out. I don’t have any regrets though. It has been a very fun car so far and I haven’t even tuned or added any mods besides a downpipe and exhaust.

Last edited:

Souprahman

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Tacoma TRD Sport
How funny and what perfect timing for my question. How did the interior of the Porsche feel as far as space and comfort or seating position? I would definitely miss the low end torque of the B58, but in reality I just need enough power to get around slow cars in traffic, merge quickly or maybe hit some fun twisty roads once in a while. That’s the most I do personally. I don’t track my cars.
It was an old car so the interior was more worn, but not falling apart or anything. A nice “vintage” feel if I were to describe it with a hint of crayon smell! He did add a head unit for apple carplay which looked pretty factory. Seating position was comfortable and I found the pedal placement easier to heel toe. I still prefer the cockpit feeling of my Supra for a weekend car, but the Porsche was nice.

OP
OP
Tacoma714

Tacoma714

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
It was an old car so the interior was more worn, but not falling apart or anything. A nice “vintage” feel if I were to describe it with a hint of crayon smell! He did add a head unit for apple carplay which looked pretty factory. Seating position was comfortable and I found the pedal placement easier to heel toe. I still prefer the cockpit feeling of my Supra for a weekend car, but the Porsche was nice.
Not trying to go off topic too much, but do you really think our MKVs will be vintage or desired in the future somewhat similar to those 997s in reference to driver engagement?

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
So- I kind of went this route kind of not, I ordered a boxster gts 4.0- of course that is much newer but the same idea, a lower tq N/A flat 6 vs the turbo goodness of the b58. The PDK on the .2's is not the pdk of today, but it is not bad at all, and there are tunes that can help a lot. I would say if you could find a manual it is still the better choice but I know it is slim pickings. If you don't care about it being a daily, I would say go with a 987 Spyder, with a PDK those can be had between 55-75k, manuals seem to command a hefty premium. If you do want to daily it, a PDK 997 GTS is a great buy in the mid 70's. Options matter on these cars so make sure to join rennlist and do tons of research on what you should be looking for. The DI engines in the .2 are already at the point that they make some respectable power so I don't think you will miss the tq too much. There are going to be some drawbacks going to a 10+ year old car, but if you find the right one I think it will treat you well.

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
It has always been a dream car. Classier and more traditional sports car. The A91 fell in my lap February 2023 after a few months of calling around and being dealerships “lists”. When I got the call it was either take it or they would call the next person because the original buyer who ordered it had fallen out. I don’t have any regrets though. It has been a very fun car so far and I haven’t even tuned or added any mods besides a downpipe and exhaust.
Enjoy life and car life, when one has the time to do so. Live!

Souprahman

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Tacoma TRD Sport
Not trying to go off topic too much, but do you really think our MKVs will be vintage or desired in the future somewhat similar to those 997s in reference to driver engagement?
Haha I hope so if they don’t make an MK6! I really enjoy my Supra and I think for the money, it’s an awesome car, but I don’t think there’s anything special about it that sets it apart from cars in its contemporary.

OP
OP
Tacoma714

Tacoma714

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
So- I kind of went this route kind of not, I ordered a boxster gts 4.0- of course that is much newer but the same idea, a lower tq N/A flat 6 vs the turbo goodness of the b58. The PDK on the .2's is not the pdk of today, but it is not bad at all, and there are tunes that can help a lot. I would say if you could find a manual it is still the better choice but I know it is slim pickings. If you don't care about it being a daily, I would say go with a 987 Spyder, with a PDK those can be had between 55-75k, manuals seem to command a hefty premium. If you do want to daily it, a PDK 997 GTS is a great buy in the mid 70's. Options matter on these cars so make sure to join rennlist and do tons of research on what you should be looking for. The DI engines in the .2 are already at the point that they make some respectable power so I don't think you will miss the tq too much. There are going to be some drawbacks going to a 10+ year old car, but if you find the right one I think it will treat you well.
The manual 997s are so hard to find in respectable condition. Every time I do a search it’s like 3 manuals vs 13 PDKs and the manuals are like 4 owners deep with 60k miles as an example. Or you have the typical accident reported vehicles. I had a chance at a 46k mile 2012 997 Carrera S PDK selling for $67k one owner and while I was playing hard ball someone else came in and scooped it up. I thought because interest rates were at 22 year highs, less people were buying now but I guess there is always someone out there with disposable income looking around. Maybe not as many people as 2019-2021, but still I underestimated the Porsche market. Snooze you lose.

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
The manual 997s are so hard to find in respectable condition. Every time I do a search it’s like 3 manuals vs 13 PDKs and the manuals are like 4 owners deep with 60k miles as an example. Or you have the typical accident reported vehicles. I had a chance at a 46k mile 2012 997 Carrera S PDK selling for $67k one owner and while I was playing hard ball someone else came in and scooped it up. I thought because interest rates were at 22 year highs, less people were buying now but I guess there is always someone out there with disposable income looking around. Maybe not as many people as 2019-2021, but still I underestimated the Porsche market. Snooze you lose.
Oh ya I've learned the Porsche market is a different beast entirely, I've had 2 already in the last year (944 and a 996 cab) all in anticipation of my incoming GTS, and basically live on rennlist, and it really is like nothing else, but I would def recommend rennlist as a place to look for clean cars, same with PCar market, BAT, Cars and bids sometimes gets nice cars as well, they just had a nice 997.1 6spd sell. But for something like a clean .2 manual, you need to be ready to be quick, because there is always someone else ready to buy.

OP
OP
Tacoma714

Tacoma714

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Haha I hope so if they don’t make an MK6! I really enjoy my Supra and I think for the money, it’s an awesome car, but I don’t think there’s anything special about it that sets it apart from cars in its contemporary.
Sadly I kind of agree as much as I enjoy driving and getting on it. The manual is fun, engaging and driving position feels like a cockpit so no knock on the car. I’m not saying I bought the car to resell or collect it, but it would be nice to know it retained its value in the next 5-7 years and selling or trading it in would be an easy proposition.

OP
OP
Tacoma714

Tacoma714

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Oh ya I've learned the Porsche market is a different beast entirely, I've had 2 already in the last year (944 and a 996 cab) all in anticipation of my incoming GTS, and basically live on rennlist, and it really is like nothing else, but I would def recommend rennlist as a place to look for clean cars, same with PCar market, BAT, Cars and bids sometimes gets nice cars as well, they just had a nice 997.1 6spd sell. But for something like a clean .2 manual, you need to be ready to be quick, because there is always someone else ready to buy.
I think I might have missed your update on another thread. I saw you on that YouTube video when you first bought the 2023 6MT burnout white. Did you keep it or end up also selling?
Sponsored