The 2021 News Really Bums Me Out / Buyer's Remorse

John8

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Nitro, FJ Cruiser 2012
I don't drive the retail value, I drive the car. :^) But I keep a car for a long time and realize some don't. So don't buy a car the 1st year.
Sponsored

Gearbangin

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 175/1500 2007 TRD Edition FJ Cruiser/Lifted/Murdered out 2016 NT 200T F Sport 2019 RCF Anniversary Edition Matte Nebula Gray
I signed it but not a whiny baby, just in the morning. lol I enjoy mine and don't really care but if something were to happen, at least I did something. Investment? That would be very, very poor reasoning. My FJ Cruiser, turned out to be more of that, loosing almost no value but I didn't buy it for that, it was just luck I guess and after 8 years, no issues at all. Anyway, enjoying the hell out of the 2020!

Lol my FJ has 315k miles on it and going strong!

Novice_Mentality

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Subaru WRX STI, 1997 Toyota 4Runner Limited, 2015 Ducati 899 Panigale
Lol, this thread is something else. I remember reading posts way back when I just wanted this car to come out (2015-2016). Everybody was anticipating this car and Toyota did what they had to do in order to get this car out to the market. After the reveals started happening, I remember reading/hearing that Toyota "Took too long" to get this car out in the market. Now I'm hearing that Toyota should've waited another year to put in the B58D....

Just goes to show you're screwed if you do and screwed if you don't :doh: Just be glad Toyota is bringing sports cars into a market that is shifting towards EVs and self-driving cars.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Lol, this thread is something else. I remember reading posts way back when I just wanted this car to come out (2015-2016). Everybody was anticipating this car and Toyota did what they had to do in order to get this car out to the market. After the reveals started happening, I remember reading/hearing that Toyota "Took too long" to get this car out in the market. Now I'm hearing that Toyota should've waited another year to put in the B58D....

Just goes to show you're screwed if you do and screwed if you don't :doh: Just be glad Toyota is bringing sports cars into a market that is shifting towards EVs and self-driving cars.
Nail on the head

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
On the resale value side - although I can't guarantee the future obviously... I see it playing out similar to most sports cars with limited sales volumes. They will have massive depreciation out of the gate... including the MY21's. That's the reality of the segment... there are (apparently, I'm not one of them) people willing to pay $40K in ADM in order to own the "latest and greatest" ahead of everyone else. Or if it's going to charity... even a $2M markup ;)

On the other hand the number of people who are suspicious of what has been done to a 2 seat sports car, how and where it's been driven, and what (if any) service history it's undergone - are significant. When you add all the guys on YouTube doing burnouts and donuts moments after taking receipt of the car... this only adds to that concern. This means fewer people willing to buy used - if they already have the means to buy new in the first place (and is largely the opposite from your average Corolla or Camry buyer).

So you can reasonably expect that 50% value is going to disappear even if the MY21 wasn't any better... in fact it might get worse, since then everyone would say Toyota didn't care about fixing problems or increasing performance. :rolleyes: The "upside" if there is one... is that the same segment of cars tends to have an absolute price-floor which prevents them from ever losing as much value over time as that Camry or Corolla.

No matter what, there's likely to only be 1000 available in the used market in any given year maximum. Not everyone is going to jump ship the second there is a slight improvement in the next year's model... many of us will hold on to them for a few years at least... so those aren't available. Additionally, every year several (unfortunately) will be totaled and removed from the market completely. Then there will be those which are modified for racing and no longer able to be used as street-legal transportation, including many show-builds even.

What supply and demand will actually be at a given time will determine the price... but if you didn't think it would lose value, or didn't understand that paying markup money was essentially the same as lighting a pile of cash on fire... then I guess this is an expensive but valuable lesson.

Last edited:

SupraBeast

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20?? GR Supra ??? Edition
Definitely understand how you feel OP. Though Toyota has continued improving the platform and that is a win in my book.

I'm just glad that the Supra was brought back. Now we have three different engines and multiple options.

Last edited:

John8

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lol my FJ has 315k miles on it and going strong!
Yes, I change the fluids more often than required, all of them, and have good results.

With the 2020, I will do the same, change to clean fluids and I find a machines lasts much longer.

anotherbrian

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
s2000
at the moment autotrader does not support the notion that the resale price of this car is falling quckly. cheapest i see is $50K which is not enough of a differential to draw me away from new.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Does anyone know how China-dependent the production is? Obviously I'm talking mostly about raw materials and electronic components - the actual assembly isn't dependent at all I would assume. GM is already warning of COVID-19 related shortages causing major disruptions in their manufacturing and assembly lines... just wondering if potentially we could be looking at the same thing (short term at least) with the MY21's.

I hope between improved transparency and emerging treatments (and better containment) the Chinese will be OK - whatever you think about their government, they're a wonderful people and are living a nightmare currently. However, even if everything was back to normal in a week - which definitely isn't the case - manufacturing is going to be bumpy for at least the rest of this year.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
between improved transparency and emerging treatments (and better containment) the Chinese will be OK - whatever you think about their government
CCP and transparency don't belong in the same universe, let alone the same sentence. Also, their idea of containment is pretty much a sick joke and when you do contract the illness, they throw you into a lockbox on the back of a pickup truck (not an ambulance) and take you to a lockdown facility where you will likely die later on. They then truck the bodies down to a crematoria that's going 24/7, every single day.

The amount of people infected/dying over there is so underreported it's insane, but they don't want the world to know the truth and they've paid off the WHO and kicked out anyone actually looking to find out. This is only the beginning IMO

So yeah, I can totally see it disrupting production as GM has already started warning of it affecting them.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CCP and transparency don't belong in the same universe, let alone the same sentence. Also, their idea of containment is pretty much a sick joke and when you do contract the illness, they throw you into a lockbox on the back of a pickup truck (not an ambulance) and take you to a lockdown facility where you will likely die later on. They then truck the bodies down to a crematoria that's going 24/7, every single day.

The amount of people infected/dying over there is so underreported it's insane, but they don't want the world to know the truth and they've paid off the WHO and kicked out anyone actually looking to find out. This is only the beginning IMO

So yeah, I can totally see it disrupting production as GM has already started warning of it affecting them.
Totally agree... although if things continue progressing as they have, they're not going to have much of a choice. My hope on the transparency side mostly comes from non-governmental sources which are now more directly involved... I'm not naive enough to expect anything from the CCP itself. :nono:

JasonO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra LE
Does anyone know how China-dependent the production is? Obviously I'm talking mostly about raw materials and electronic components - the actual assembly isn't dependent at all I would assume. GM is already warning of COVID-19 related shortages causing major disruptions in their manufacturing and assembly lines... just wondering if potentially we could be looking at the same thing (short term at least) with the MY21's.

I hope between improved transparency and emerging treatments (and better containment) the Chinese will be OK - whatever you think about their government, they're a wonderful people and are living a nightmare currently. However, even if everything was back to normal in a week - which definitely isn't the case - manufacturing is going to be bumpy for at least the rest of this year.
Even if every last piece of the Supra was made outside of China, if things in China (ignoring spread outside of China) continue to tumble, don’t expect many 2021s. Everyone will buying from the same extremely diminished and extremely valuable supply. Only a handful of the wrong pieces being unavailable will prevent delivery. Once the BOM cost exceed a set point, they will shut down production as the finished good won’t be viable to sell at elevated BOM cost.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
Yeah, the amount of raw material and semiconductor components alone is enough to disrupt damn near everything.

Totally agree... although if things continue progressing as they have, they're not going to have much of a choice. My hope on the transparency side mostly comes from non-governmental sources which are now more directly involved... I'm not naive enough to expect anything from the CCP itself. :nono:
We can only hope and honestly maybe it needs to get bad before they finally let others in to handle things properly, but I wish it wasn't that way.

John8

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I hope they find a vaccine soon. Spoke to a cdc employee at work the other day and she said they been working non stop...
It normally takes at least 2 years to get a vaccine to market.
Sponsored