Thinking about tracking?

Todday1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra
I am glad to see more interest in the Toyota Nasa GR driving experience which now has all the GR cars. Supra, Gr86, Corolla etc. I am a NASA instructor for Arizona region and a Supra owner. So if there are any of you on the fence about doing your first track day in Az just reach out. Look forward to seeing more of you at the tracks.
Sponsored

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
probably bump the tire pressures up by 2-6 psi so that you minimize eating up the shoulders of the tires. this is assuming everything is stock, including tires.

def don't do this

OP
OP
FLtrackdays

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
I've never been on track. Do I need to have a Race Shop set my car up>?
Oh hell no Bobby Chuck! šŸ˜‚ Just someone like me thatā€™s been driving too long and canā€™t do it myself.

The majority of peeps will get by with the car as is. If they continue, recent brake fluid (DOT4), tires & pads will go a long way.

probably bump the tire pressures up by 2-6 psi so that you minimize eating up the shoulders of the tires. this is assuming everything is stock, including tires.
Your instructor will help you out. As you build up heat on track, you go down in pressure.

Yes my expiration date for my free one is coming up quick, thanks for the reminder.

I need to buy a helmet, any recommendations for something that is not super expensive but is decent quality? I would probably do 3-5 track days a year, maybe some autocross thrown in there.
That link for 25% off is fantastic. I used that exact same link and I have 4 other helmets šŸ¤¦šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļø Some have more visibility than others. Any helmet with the SA 2020 standards will protect your noggin. Some have air channels, wireless headsets built in, just depends on how much goodies you want to pay for and the ā€œlookā€.

What about prep for dishonest tracks? Any different or the same?
They claim Sebring is pretty dishonest and setup is quite different than Daytona šŸ˜œ

Hakuna matata for anyone starting out. Their car will be just fine.

Last edited:

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
if you're on the OEM tires, the sidewall will more than likely roll over. why wouldn't you mitigate this?
If you are tracking, the tires heat up a lot more than "spirited" daily driving and the pressure will quickly get above optimum. The tires will beach ball and you will be running on a much smaller center contact patch. start w 5lbs less

OP
OP
FLtrackdays

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A neighbor friend finally went recently. Poor guy. Worst conditions. Rain, and even at night. But Iā€™ll be damned. He did fantastic and even wants to try it again in the dry!

HPDE is incredibly safe if you donā€™t go out there thinking youā€˜re trying out for the next Fast & Furious movie. Be realistic, want to learn how to be a better driver and have fun. Thatā€™s really what this thread is about. Some of the other threads are getting way too technical for the average driver that just wants to get out there and have a go. You donā€™t need to be a rocket šŸš€ scientist to do this. Look at me šŸ˜

What an incredible experience youā€™ll never regret or forget! Please ask questions. Weā€™re all here to help.

Last edited:

noogie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra
You may want to consider track insurance even if the risk is low. Your normal insurance provider wonā€™t cover track related accidents.

OP
OP
FLtrackdays

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
True! That is a great point for when you feel you are on the edge and want to go beyond that first track day. Keeping in mind ā€œthe goal of insurance and risk mitigation is not to eliminate all risks, but to manage them in a way that aligns with your comfort level and capacity to absorb potential losses.ā€œ Iā€˜ve limped over to a hotel by Sebring many of times and used AAA to get one of my 3 (or is it 5 tows) per year. This last time they came right in the trackā€˜s pearly gates.

I needed this most when I had a dedicated track car. I knew I could go balls out and try things Iā€™ve never done before. In the appropriate places ofc. Iā€™ve personally paid for any damages Iā€™ve gotten and can absorb the potential loss or losses for the car Iā€™m in. So track insurance isnā€™t a thing for me. Also why I donā€™t drive a Porsche or Ferrari on track šŸ˜œ

Everyone needs to asses their own comfort level for sure! There is always less risk if you have a good track record (pun intended) at home. Donā€™t drive like an ass and know how to listen to others. For those of you already driving on the edge and know everything (not you noogie- just in general), definitely get track insurance! Being able to listen to others and being humble is not something the track or insurance can easily assess.

noogie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra
even if you drive 5/10, there are risks outside of your control. for example, oil spills, someone else running into you, etc.

OP
OP
FLtrackdays

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
even if you drive 5/10, there are risks outside of your control. for example, oil spills, someone else running into you, etc.
Exactly, your comfort level for sure. Iā€™m not saying donā€™t buy it. Thereā€˜s some good threads on which ones are the most affordable.

But after some peeps do it, they realize real world driving is way more dangerous than a controlled environment like a track setting. Those things can happen anywhere. At least we have run off areas, instructors with you in the beginning and other experienced drivers actually driving - not on their phones or doing lord knows what at the same time. Iā€™m scared as hell every time I leave the track and enter the real world roads - where people drive like šŸ’© šŸ˜‚

Are you going to use your free track day noogie? I think youā€™ll LOVE NASA ā¤

JaxSpeed

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
LS3 Swapped E90 Track Car
Great thread, I love seeing folks getting interested in the track. I am an Instructor with NASA Mid-Atlantic and TT competitor. If I can ever help anyone in the area. please feel free to DM me.

I agree with most all points made, itā€™s fun, donā€™t go thinking you are the next Verstappen and you will enjoy it. The best trophy you can take home is your car :)

Car Prep is something you focus on safety for your first time. Healthy Tires, Brakes, a good High temp brake fluid or ā€œfresh fluidā€. No Leaks.

Tire pressure is something that can vary on every track, everyday and every session. I think everyone is right itā€™s wise to bring a way to double check your tire pressures and a way to change tire pressures. Something as simple as a Ryobi tire pump, then you can add or remove air as your Hot pressures vary throughout the day. If you donā€™t have it or forget it,good news, youā€™ll be parked next to like 100 people with tire air pumps. So be friendly, lead your weekend with kindness, it can payoff.

Again, keeping this targeted at first time track days, tire pressure is not something to stress your entire weekend over, but have an idea of the proper hot temp range for your tire and make sure you stay within it. Your pressures will go up the more the tires are heated, as mentioned some tracks/tire/speed combos can gain 7psi+ while on track. Most first timers wonā€™t have to fight this extreme change as you are learning the flag stations the track, the car. But there will be differences.

Record Pressure in the morning, check it as soon as you can or when you park back in the paddock after a session. Luckily itā€™s easy on a stock tire car with TPMS :)

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Great thread, I love seeing folks getting interested in the track. I am an Instructor with NASA Mid-Atlantic and TT competitor. If I can ever help anyone in the area. please feel free to DM me.

:)

im in mid atlantic- help me go faster!!

mdpalmer

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 GR Supra 3.0 MT | 2001 DC2 Integra
I'm all set for next Saturday, 02/17 at Chuckwalla down here in Socal. Anyone else going to be there? I'm hopeful it will be dry after all the rain we just got. Super excited I can't contain myself.

Couple more questions for you experienced folks, I'm not going to have this sorted out before next week but maybe it can help someone else for now. I did do some searching and seems like a lot of the info is geared to more serious drivers, of which I am not. I'm out there for fun, not for competition or fastet laps.

Questions:

1) For ease of (semi-frequent) wheel/tire removal: Do you recommend installing wheel studs and nuts versus wheel bolts for someone who has two sets of wheels (one for street and another with sticky tires for track) will do a handful (maybe 5-6 tops) of autocross or HPDE a year? Seems to me that it is easier to bugger up the threaded holes in the hub and/or threads on the bolts with the OEM style bolt setup, especially if the wheels/tires are being swapped often enough.

2) What is your recommendation for datalogging engine/chassis/lap data with a cell phone? I have tried Bimmerlink and can I believe I can run it at the same time as Dragy Lap (video & lap timing) on my phone. I would like to study the data for fun and also to understand how the car is performing. Bimmerlink can show 8 parameters at one time and the data can be exported as comma separated values. Anyone have a better solution?

3) What do you recommend for alignment settings for a stockish car (I am on lowering springs, running stock size wheels/tires)? Any special hardware or knowledge required? The bit of searching I did indicates that getting someone who knows how to align these cars properly can be a headache.

I'm super excited, haven't been on track in quite a few years.
Sponsored