Thinking of making water sprayer, bad idea?

Fb98

First Name
Fb
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra mkv
Summer’s about to hit hard with 120F+ temperatures for like 4-5 months where I live.

I know the intake manifold upgrade is the way to go eventually, but its off the table currently because of the cost. I’ve also got a WMI setup and I am considering getting my DP heat shielded.

I stumbled upon a post on instagram of someone spraying water in front of their air to air fmic and got me wondering if thats something worth doing on our cars?

edit:
Forgot the main part that I am actually thinking of making the system at home. did a small research on the needed parts and they appear to be sub 100 bucks thats why I am curious to know if this would work.
Sponsored

Maki2282

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota supra a90 3.0
You won't notice any difference. I had to put on the watercooler, the Spanish summer is on average 105f for 5 months

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
Yeah, the factory intercooler is probably too small to make any difference. I remember I used a cyro-sprayer (nitrous) on my old WRX long long time ago.. it made a difference as far as getting rid of heat soak momentarily, but only until the next stop light. Gimmicky unless for drag strips I suppose.. and very costly for refills. Not even sure if I can get refills any more in my area..

i3igpete

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 3.0L 8AT
i believe an intercooler sprayer was a feature in some regions for the mitsubishi evos, maybe some track folks here can comment on its effectiveness compared to upsizing the fmic on those platforms.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
i believe an intercooler sprayer was a feature in some regions for the mitsubishi evos, maybe some track folks here can comment on its effectiveness compared to upsizing the fmic on those platforms.
Didn’t do shit. Larger/more efficient intercoolers always the answer.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
front of their air to air fmic and got me wondering if thats something worth doing on our cars?
To answer this question quite literally, we don't have air to air intercoolers, so no.

WMI is the best you're going to do with the stock manifold.

OP
OP
Fb98

Fb98

First Name
Fb
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra mkv
To answer this question quite literally, we don't have air to air intercoolers, so no.

WMI is the best you're going to do with the stock manifold.
I don’t have the best understanding of the b58 cooling system, but wouldn’t cooling the heat exhanger just cool the charge air that is going to the intercooler?

The reason why I am asking this because I've noticed a lot of people tend to dismiss the effect of a 2 or 3-degree temperature drop as negligible. Especially in the topic of heat exchangers, the common response seems to be skepticism about the effectiveness and they at best might lower temperatures by just a couple of degrees. The same goes for discussions around turbo heat shields and closed intake boxes.

I found the WMI to be very beneficial, and it really cause a good drop in charge air but I'm also genuinely chasing those small 2-degree improvements, I think they'll add up to make a significant difference. It’s these little wins that I am after.
Sponsored