Had No Idea ASD Was So Bad

ope_sry

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 3.0 premium
Just posting about my experience with the Actuve Sound Design here because I wish I’d known sooner how aggressive it really is. With straight exhaust the cabin sounds were unbearable and I just want everybody without mufflers to know about this!

I left my ASD alone because I never minded the in-cabin sound with catless dp and factory exhaust. I had read about the exhaust noise being fed into the cabin via the speakers but really didn’t give it much thought. I figured it was so negligible that disabling it wouldn’t make a noticeable difference and I kind of forgot about it.

Recently I installed non valved boost logic exhaust and it is LOUD. I think it sounds incredible but inside the car at certain rpm’s (cruising rpm and anything partial throttle) the exhaust note seemed to resonate in my eardrums and the droney, buzzy, sounds were making me almost nauseous. I was really bummed out because again, I really love how the exhaust sounds. But after 2 days I was ready to sell the catback and try something else.

Then I re-stumbled across a thread about disabling the ASD system and immediately went to the garage. No coding, just popped two trunk panels off and unplugged the ASD box in under 5 minutes.

HUGE difference. The sound inside the car is the same, just like somebody turned the volume on it from 11 to about 8. More importantly the resonating buzz and tinnitus inducing high pitched humming is GONE and I’m left with nothing but raspy, growly, raw sounding exhaust . No cat, no resonators, no mufflers, and the car is 100% daily drivable now (for me). Maybe it doesn’t make as much of a difference on quieter exhaust setups, but for me this was honestly a night/day difference. I have spoken.

Thank you Supra Forums!

98ECDEFE-0AC6-4E11-8FA4-279F15028634.jpeg
Sponsored

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
I find it most noticable now in videos where they have it turned on. I had forgotten how intrusive it was until watching in cabin footage from stock vehicles.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
One of the first things I turned off via Bimmercode. Car sounds so much better without..

Eplejus

First Name
Morten
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 A90 Supra 3.0 Premium
One of the first thing I did when I got my car. Even with a stock euro exhaust with opf/gpf that produces almost no noise at all, the difference was immense.

I just hated how fake the ASD sounds. Like taken out of a video game.

JST

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'06 Subaru LGT, '21 CX-5 Sig, '22 Supra 3.0
I found the sound quality of the sound system improved after turning off ASD.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
I found the sound quality of the sound system improved after turning off ASD.
I noticed this as well. At least I thought I did. I usually don't have the ear to detect such things.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
Yeah, the sub on the car is pretty weak so without the faux engine noises the music's low passages have much better clarity for sure.

Reactions: JST

Koval

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0; 2019 F-150 3.5 KR; 2018 Honda GL
ASD gets louder based on having a louder exhaust? I assumed it was just a set noise level/frequency set and that the track exhaust would be completely drowning it out at this point.

OP
OP
ope_sry

ope_sry

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 3.0 premium
ASD gets louder based on having a louder exhaust? I assumed it was just a set noise level/frequency set and that the track exhaust would be completely drowning it out at this point.
Idk if it gets “louder” but the tone of it changed with aftermarket, or at least began resonating with the new exhaust frequencies. It truly sounded like an abortion inside the car.

Koval

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Idk if it gets “louder” but the tone of it changed with aftermarket, or at least began resonating with the new exhaust frequencies. It truly sounded like an abortion inside the car.
Hmmm, now I'm curious. I had decided to just ignore it since the AWE Track is loud as hell, but I do get a weird occasional buzz sound between 3.8k-4k rpms that can get annoying. Wondering if that'll maybe fix it. It's either that or something loose that's causing the rear bar to vibrate. Narrowed it down to that general area 😅

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
It was quite awful with my AA catted DP after I had the brake recall done and my Bimmercode settings got wiped. You could definitely hear the drone resonate in the car. Glad I disabled it; it makes for a ride where I can actually hear the real exhaust and intake sounds.

Koval

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Finally got a chance to take the car out since coding this out. Holy crap you saved me a massive headache 😂 this completely fixed the obnoxious buzzing sound at that rpm range.
Sponsored