Tips for Outdoor Storage over Winter

NicKnack

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1991 Toyota MR2, 2023 Toyota Supra MT
So unfortunately indoor storage fell through this year as I wasn't able to get my garage project going and get a storage lift in place. So my car will be spending this winter Outside in the Driveway.

I live in Ontario, Canada so it is going to snow, and we tend to have humid winters.

I know I have a few weeks left of driving but once the car is parked, it will remain there until the Spring, I generally don't like to start/idle my cars during the winter, or take them out if we happen to get a rogue warm day. For the most part it will be sitting from November - middle of March, so far my plans for storage are:

1.) Pump up the tires to the max rating on the sidewall

2.) Full tank of gas with Fuel Stabilizer

3.) I was going to wash the car right at the end of the season and cover it with this cover: https://www.carcovers.com/covers/cars/toyota/gr-supra/2023/platinum-shield-car-cover.html

4.) Silica Gel Dehumidifier in the interior to help keep humidity down/prevent mold.

5.) Disconnect Dashcam battery and bring it inside

I'm still debating if I should remove the actual car battery and bring that in as well, or if I should leave it in place and use the CTEK tender, and just leave the tender in my garage on the floor and run the cable under the garage door and in to the hood area?

Does anyone have any other tips, or things I should do differently?
Sponsored

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
So unfortunately indoor storage fell through this year as I wasn't able to get my garage project going and get a storage lift in place. So my car will be spending this winter Outside in the Driveway.

I live in Ontario, Canada so it is going to snow, and we tend to have humid winters.

I know I have a few weeks left of driving but once the car is parked, it will remain there until the Spring, I generally don't like to start/idle my cars during the winter, or take them out if we happen to get a rogue warm day. For the most part it will be sitting from November - middle of March, so far my plans for storage are:

1.) Pump up the tires to the max rating on the sidewall

2.) Full tank of gas with Fuel Stabilizer

3.) I was going to wash the car right at the end of the season and cover it with this cover: https://www.carcovers.com/covers/cars/toyota/gr-supra/2023/platinum-shield-car-cover.html

4.) Silica Gel Dehumidifier in the interior to help keep humidity down/prevent mold.

5.) Disconnect Dashcam battery and bring it inside

I'm still debating if I should remove the actual car battery and bring that in as well, or if I should leave it in place and use the CTEK tender, and just leave the tender in my garage on the floor and run the cable under the garage door and in to the hood area?

Does anyone have any other tips, or things I should do differently?
6.) Make room in the garage to store it.

Avarela99

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra 3.0
Honestly if it’s sitting outside in a snowy winter climate just throw good tires on it and daily it. enjoy it no sense in having it sit unless it’s indoors protected from the elements. Also outdoor covers sometimes do more harm than good the car is exposed to elements regardless of its outdoors.

OP
OP
NicKnack

NicKnack

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1991 Toyota MR2, 2023 Toyota Supra MT
6.) Make room in the garage to store it.
Realistically and long term, the only way for me to go is up at this point with the other cars there. I have everything set up to support that but work and life are currently in the way so there will be no lift in this year, I'll have to deal with that in the Spring.

But after measuring, there's enough room width wise so I may just buy some positioning jacks, scoot one car over to the middle and move the Supra inside so, might work out after all

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ex-Owner '23 GR Supra 6MT
Only other thing I would do is have a small fan inside the car to keep air moving.

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
Realistically and long term, the only way for me to go is up at this point with the other cars there. I have everything set up to support that but work and life are currently in the way so there will be no lift in this year, I'll have to deal with that in the Spring.

But after measuring, there's enough room width wise so I may just buy some positioning jacks, scoot one car over to the middle and move the Supra inside so, might work out after all
IMG_2228.gif