To anyone who has removed the interior door panel

Last Lemming

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra MKV, 86 944 Turbo
I’m trying to remove my interior door panel to try and track down a noise. But I’m having a problem with the screw behind the door lever. Not the two screws that are in the door handle that you pull the door shut with, but the door lever that you open the door with. The single little screw behind a little plastic square panel you pop off.

when I try to unscrew the screw it just keeps turning it doesn’t back out at all, my only option is the drill the head of the screw off at this point unless somebody can tell me another way to get it off. My concern is that once I drill the screw head off and pull the door card off, what is that screw screwing into? Is it a piece of plastic behind something that I won’t be able to get to, I’m just not sure and I don’t want to pull the panel door off and not be able to fix the issue once I put it back together.

would anybody have a good picture of the door after the panels been pulled off?
Sponsored

GorillaGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' Premium, 08' Tacoma 2WD, 10' FJ Cruiser
Ive had my door panels off numerous times and this would happen to me about 50% of the time. What you have to do is just pull on it and the screw retainer that is pressed into the metal door frame will come out. Its a delicate balance of pulling hard enough to remove it, without pulling on the wires/connectors. The trunk release button is pretty fragile and comes out and apart pretty easily if youre not careful.

This is what it looks like:

OP
OP
Last Lemming

Last Lemming

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra MKV, 86 944 Turbo
Ah, thank you very much. This helps.

Jason In2details

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra GR Yellow
Ya what above poster said! It happens often not just on these doors. Sometimes a second person from bottom can reach up inside between and the wedging and outward pushing as you are unscrewing will allow it to back out without the nut part spinning. Once out add some super glue around the square edges of the plastic insert to keep it from spinning in future.