Toyota Supra Break In Period

How’d you break in?

• Total voters

wrapfee

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 2021 NSX, 2016 428i Gran Coupe
My car had 7 miles on it when I left the dealership. My ride home was about 150 miles. The car saw redline probably 30 times on that trip alone.

It has 2,000 miles now, but probably saw redline 500+ times before 1,200.

What's a break in period? :cool:
Sponsored

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
I am glad you are a engineer. I will take the advice of my Supra technician, who also builds race cars and has worked on pit crews for professional race teams. I am also the service manager at a Toyota dealership. I have access to information that the general public does not. I understand about general liability. I also understand warranties. To each his own.
Thanks
I am going to have to agree with suicidaleggroll's post. I say that with my past 15 years of building race engines everyday. I dont care if its a Toyota engine, BMW engine, airplane engine, whatever, its still an engine. They all work the same, its just a heat pump. Unless some of this secret information that the general public doesnt get says that there are some crazy super exotic materials in the engine....

whozaka

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
I've read several people nannying the car during breakin also are having oil consumption issues so I'm in sportmode the whole time. I think i've only broke 5k once or twice now. After every drive I do the oil check just incase. The Owners Manual does state to keep it below 100mph and 5k rpms until 1200 miles. I've yet to hit 100mph but def broke 5k. not too much though.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
I am glad you are a engineer. I will take the advice of my Supra technician, who also builds race cars and has worked on pit crews for professional race teams. I am also the service manager at a Toyota dealership. I have access to information that the general public does not. I understand about general liability. I also understand warranties. To each his own.
Thanks
I guess as a Service Manager you’re bound to the Toyota law book. Can you shed some light on how big the oil burning problem really is?

It’s usually crafty end-users like us consumers that pinpoint the problem first and come up with solutions to fix it.

-RJM

Henrik

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 3.0 Premium 2020 Camry Hybrid Premium 2019

This is how Nissan test the new built GTR engines (from 8:30)

Full throttle....

The break in period is not for the engine...it is for the driver (to learn how to handle the power).