Turn8 Laguna Seca | 1-2-2022 (Advanced Group)

gcmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Started off 2022 with a track day at Laguna! Might be my last one until they complete work on repaving the track (maybe this year according to news articles), as the conditions continue to worsen and I personally would like to start getting to know my actual home track, Sonoma Raceway.

The only changes to my car are a replacement passenger side rear axle (exploded on the street), and front brake pad swap to CSG C21. Everything else is the same as I was able to re-use the A052s from october which saw fairly little wear given it was mainly a wet track day.

Happy to report I was able to run multiple laps of 1:41 with an optimal lap of 1:39 according to the Catalyst. There was always at least one corner I'd mess up on (usually more than one) - which clearly cost me time. It was a very good day for me though - for the first time I felt like I was in control of the car, and not trying to fight it.

As someone who legitimately only goes to the track a few times a year starting in 2018, I am happy for the progress I've made and have so many great people to thank - from coaches to mentors to companies who actually make proper parts for this car and do great work on them too. As you'll find, my car only has front lower control arms for negative camber & caster, brake pads, brake fluids, and tires (oem size and oem rims).

Shoutout to folks on here like Jackie Ding (Ph.D Racing), Will Kwok, Mike Kang, David Leung (Counterspace Garage) for being awesome people to chat with, as well as Gary Yeung and Melody Cannizzaro of Elite Performance for aligning the car properly and for installing any part I don't have the means to do myself!

PB Lap in-cabin:

PB Lap Catalyst:

Optimal Lap Catalyst:

IMG_1313.jpeg

IMG_1312.jpeg

Condition of the tires:
I drove them too hard and too long while they were out of their max happy temps...essentially I was melting money away real fast. Given how cold it was at Laguna, I was able to do 4 decent laps till they got hot - including the 1st out lap. The good part is they heat up real quick. The pad part is, they heat up real quick...haha.
IMG_1335.jpeg

IMG_1336.jpeg

IMG_1337.jpeg

IMG_1338.jpeg

Condition of the brakes:
Things got toasty - the CSG C21 pads were amazing. I've never had to use so little pedal pressure to stop this car - in fact I likely got my brakes too hot due to getting into ABS too often. I wasn't used to this level of friction - massively confidence inspiring.
IMG_1310.jpeg

As usual our brembos like to cry during track days...
IMG_1311.jpeg

Pads looked great - really barely any wear to speak of (which has been a CSG trait, even with their CP compound)
IMG_1333.jpeg

I was bummed to see the black rubber rings around the pad backs as I knew it meant I melted my dust boots...but such as track life...live and learn!
IMG_1334.jpeg

Visual of the boots - the lower one clearly has a crack through it now.
IMG_1332.jpeg

Couldn't figure out the scraping sounds and apparently the compression was so great that I was pretty much down to the side skirts of the car where I have the ZL1 Addon splash guards - which were scraping the track.
IMG_1361.jpeg

Previous track post with more info/photos/links to other experiences

If you made it this far, just some extra videos:

Sponsored