Laguna Seca April 18, 2021 with SpeedSF

gcmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Thanks to folks in this thread for being positive and open with sharing experiences and knowledge.
Finished my first HPDE in the Supra and was really impressed with what it could do.

Changes to my car from factory:
  • CSG CP brake pads
  • ZL1 Additions rock guards
  • Satin PPF
  • Sport Plus mode (via Bimmercode)
Car had no issues all day (just chugged gas as expected). Turned 42 full laps during five 20 minute sessions from 10am to 5pm.
Considering there was traffic most of the time I had time to experiment with braking, turning, etc. and I was driving in Sport Plus and Sport Traction.
A 1:55 felt like a fairly casual lap, whereas a 1:45 felt like I had to work for it (but I can run that pace consistently). A 1:43, at least for me, was a challenge of bravery more than anything, but I can see how Randy Pobst gets a 1:40 out of this car (in stock form).

Sponsored

Last edited:

RD29

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
Nice. Looking forward to going there some time. Been only once but in my old car. Being 3 seconds off Randy isnā€™t bad!

OP
OP
gcmak

gcmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Nice. Looking forward to going there some time. Been only once but in my old car. Being 3 seconds off Randy isnā€™t bad!
Definitely should! No matter what car I'm in I'm always a few seconds off haha. Always working on the driver mod but I also need to drive the car home, unlike Randy. :rolleyes: :D

Thhirsch

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 edition Supra
Man, I did a 1:48 today (not my time but I was on pace with a camaro the whole time and he timed it) and we were lifting at sound check, so maybe 1:47 if I could stay flat through 5-6. 1:43 is insanely impressive to me. I didnā€™t feel like I could get much faster, but driver mod is the best of them all. I have a catted dp, catback, and JB4 running 20PSI. Thatā€™s some serious driving!

OP
OP
gcmak

gcmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Man, I did a 1:48 today (not my time but I was on pace with a camaro the whole time and he timed it) and we were lifting at sound check, so maybe 1:47 if I could stay flat through 5-6. 1:43 is insanely impressive to me. I didnā€™t feel like I could get much faster, but driver mod is the best of them all. I have a catted dp, catback, and JB4 running 20PSI. Thatā€™s some serious driving!
It really is driver mod. I've kept my cars fairly stock over the years and I think it's been helpful. All the cars I've owned, I've never matched what race car driver Randy Pobst could do in them. That tells me I am making mistakes and have much more to learn.

Completely personal preference and everyone has a different desire or goal when they're out at HPDE! I hope you had fun - which is remains my core value when it comes to HPDE.

Thhirsch

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 edition Supra
It really is driver mod. I've kept my cars fairly stock over the years and I think it's been helpful. All the cars I've owned, I've never matched what race car driver Randy Pobst could do in them. That tells me I am making mistakes and have much more to learn.

Completely personal preference and everyone has a different desire or goal when they're out at HPDE! I hope you had fun - which is remains my core value when it comes to HPDE.
I completely agree, Iā€™m not a great driver by any means. I just go out there to have fun and drive my car home in one piece. I forget to turn on my lap timer for 80% of my sessions lol. Itā€™s just nice being able to drive the car fast in a safe and fun environment.
Sponsored