Sonoma Raceway with NASA HPDE3 - August 28, 2021

gcmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Originally I was booked for the free track day with NASA via Toyota/GR. That got cancelled due to the open recall - which I actually addressed a few days prior to the event. I had emailed NASA if they'd let me run if I paid - they said yes, and I signed up for HPDE 3; originally I was assigned HPDE 1 and a coach. I'll add my thoughts on the event at the end. To preface, we had ~40 cars in our group (outrageous) - and ambient temps were ~100F and ~150 AQI from the nearby wildfires - so it was trying on both our bodies and cars.

Fastest lap of the day - 2:03.

Helmet cam - MUTE your audio...mostly garbage.

I had some close encounters with the wall at T-11. I saw my rear fender hump and the wall next to each other in my side mirror expecting a formula D smack...got real lucky there's no contact.

Helmet cam - MUTE your audio.
Experienced 4 off because I was mentally distracted by the Sentra and not thinking ahead. No damage or problems - kept it safe and sane.

Then came on the hottest session of the day and also a hot head...I was rightfully addressed by officials later for overdriving the entire track.

I had no issues with the car till I was ready to go home. Had the A/C on MAX - which was the case all day long for every session lol - and let off the brake to let the car roll forward and it just stalled. Infotainment told me to put the car in park cause it was still in Neutral. Restarted the car and it was fine. VERY ODD.

Baseline temps:
IMG_2704.jpeg

After hotlapping:
IMG_2722.jpeg

The Apex V601 Tires were good - they've seen Laguna and some b-road time prior to Sonoma. Took me a while to dial in the pressures - seems like 35 PSI hot is where they want to be, but what that means a pretty low starting pressure, because the PSI climbed ~10 from cold temps. Good wear characteristics and fairly consistent if you're not overdriving them. They're far less greasy than the PSS once you heat those up.
IMG_2723.jpeg

Rear/Front on both sides look the same to me in terms of wear characteristics.
IMG_2752.jpeg

IMG_2754.jpeg

IMG_2758.jpeg

IMG_2757.jpeg

Brake pads - CSG CP - have been good to me at Laguna and felt plenty sufficient for Sonoma. This is how the front/rear pads look after 2 Laguna days and 1 Sonoma day. I do not swap pads for the street as the noise is minimal to none, pedal feel is good, and the brake dust is way less than factory and way easier to clean.
IMG_2756.jpeg

IMG_2755.jpeg

Lastly - good news! Oil level has remained full after Laguna and Sonoma!
IMG_2724.jpeg

As mentioned this was my first HPDE at Sonoma and my third HPDE with the Supra. My biggest take-away from the weekend is be way more patient with the throttle.
Open to feedback/thoughts - lots of experienced individuals in here!

And my NASA thoughts...
I definitely don't need HPDE 1, but a coach and general feedback I definitely can use. This was my first HPDE at Sonoma Raceway, and while I've been on the track in cars driving at an OK pace, those were 'experiences' and driving ~7/10ths max. I was frustrated - as were many others in HPDE 3 - due to the enormous range of skill (including awareness) and vehicle capabilities. Don't get me wrong, I understand HPDE is not racing, but when we have Sunday church drivers in their bone stock commuters, mixed with hot headed hot rodders, with everyone else inbetween it gets messy. The driver downloads were long, filled with tension and a laundry list of offenses documented by race officials, and frankly not filled with meaningful instruction to get the group moving forward.

I'll sign up for my free HPDE with NASA and that's probably it for me - they're a good organization if you plan to get into TT/Racing, but if you're just in it for HPDE, go with some other groups...there's no shortage of fantastic coaches eager to help you become a better driver.

Hope to see more Supras out there in the future...and hopefully I'm doing this right...haha.
IMG_2725.jpeg
Sponsored

freeform911

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 a91 edition Supra 2016 Lexus rc f BMW 435I
Good clips...
Looks like you might have been over driving just a little...
In the first clip It looks like you got fixated on the Porsche which made you come into turns a little hot..which caused you to loss momentum into the turn...
Definitely need to be easy on the throttle in order to control that back end...

Overall you looked good out there..
The more you drive the car in anger the better you'll get?..

The first time i took the Supra out i couldn't believe how sensitive the throttle was n how easily you could kick the back end out..
And we all know sliding isn't the fast way around a turn...haha

I'm coming from an old 86 Porsche 911 so i figured out throttle control pretty quickly in the supra...

Steve

OP
OP
gcmak

gcmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Good clips...
Looks like you might have been over driving just a little...
In the first clip It looks like you got fixated on the Porsche which made you come into turns a little hot..which caused you to loss momentum into the turn...
Definitely need to be easy on the throttle in order to control that back end...

Overall you looked good out there..
The more you drive the car in anger the better you'll get?..

The first time i took the Supra out i couldn't believe how sensitive the throttle was n how easily you could kick the back end out..
And we all know sliding isn't the fast way around a turn...haha

I'm coming from an old 86 Porsche 911 so i figured out throttle control pretty quickly in the supra...

Steve
Thank you.

I took advice from a friend and in the last session and used 'normal' engine instead of 'sport'. Far far far better in terms of controllability. I still have to work on it of course.
Also noted on the fixation - something I do better at a familiar track like Laguna.

Always more to learn!

freeform911

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thank you.

I took advice from a friend and in the last session and used 'normal' engine instead of 'sport'. Far far far better in terms of controllability. I still have to work on it of course.
Also noted on the fixation - something I do better at a familiar track like Laguna.

Always more to learn!
Definitely easy to get fixated...especially when you know you're quicker then the car you're chasing...
Takes a lot of discipline to look through that car...
But like you said there is ALWAYS something to learn...

I haven't driven the car in comfort mode on the track...did you have big delays between you asking for power n when you actually got it?

Do you have you're car set up for the track? Meaning camber...

Steve

OP
OP
gcmak

gcmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Definitely easy to get fixated...especially when you know you're quicker then the car you're chasing...
Takes a lot of discipline to look through that car...
But like you said there is ALWAYS something to learn...

I haven't driven the car in comfort mode on the track...did you have big delays between you asking for power n when you actually got it?

Do you have you're car set up for the track? Meaning camber...

Steve
It's just normal - I don't have a comfort mode.
At Sonoma, for the temps and the tires I had, i felt it was plenty responsive - either in Sport Trans D or manual shifting. At Laguna, I found Normal to be lacking...but I don't think it's the response that changes in the engine modes, it's the throttle curve that changes.

Here's my alignment.
Screen Shot 2021-08-29 at 8.08.28 PM.png

freeform911

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
You're right it's called normal mode...my bad..

That's pretty good camber..
Is your car stock? Or lowered?

I ask because I just put springs on n I'm wondering what kinda camber I'll get from the front..

Steve

OP
OP
gcmak

gcmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
You're right it's called normal mode...my bad..

That's pretty good camber..
Is your car stock? Or lowered?

I ask because I just put springs on n I'm wondering what kinda camber I'll get from the front..

Steve
I added the SPL FLCA w/adjustable caster. You can see my tire wear, imo, is pretty darn good.

Scroll towards the bottom of this guide to get some insights on alignment based on suspension. https://support.apexraceparts.com/hc/en-us/articles/1260802325669-GR-Supra-Wheel-Tire-Fitment-Guide

freeform911

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I added the SPL FLCA w/adjustable caster. You can see my tire wear, imo, is pretty darn good.

Scroll towards the bottom of this guide to get some insights on alignment based on suspension. https://support.apexraceparts.com/hc/en-us/articles/1260802325669-GR-Supra-Wheel-Tire-Fitment-Guide

Yeah I was thinkin the tire wear looked good...
So guess I wont be getting that camber from lowering springs n stock components...?..

I'm trying not to turn this car into a track rat...I turned my 911 more into a track car which made it less enjoyable on the street...
Guess I'll just buy tires after each track day...haha...

Thanks for the info..
Hope you continue to enjoy your car...

Steve

OP
OP
gcmak

gcmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Yeah I was thinkin the tire wear looked good...
So guess I wont be getting that camber from lowering springs n stock components...?..

I'm trying not to turn this car into a track rat...I turned my 911 more into a track car which made it less enjoyable on the street...
Guess I'll just buy tires after each track day...haha...

Thanks for the info..
Hope you continue to enjoy your car...

Steve
haha the SPL FLCA added no NVH to my car, if that's helpful. I think if I had went the camber plate route, maybe I'd experience some added NVH. My goal was for better track handling and alignment flexibility - ultimately to not have to shell out $1200 after 1-2 track events lol.

Enjoy yours as well. We each have different priorities so do what works for ya! You clearly have a solid lineup of past/current cars!

freeform911

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
haha the SPL FLCA added no NVH to my car, if that's helpful. I think if I had went the camber plate route, maybe I'd experience some added NVH. My goal was for better track handling and alignment flexibility - ultimately to not have to shell out $1200 after 1-2 track events lol.

Enjoy yours as well. We each have different priorities so do what works for ya! You clearly have a solid lineup of past/current cars!
Thank you for that info..
The noice level n additional vibrations are definitely a concern for me...good to know that those parts do cause any..I'll have to look more closely at them...

I built an e36 bmw for 100% track use...everything in that car was solid..from camber/caster plates to engine/tranny mounts....NEVER AGAIN...lol..
Amazing on track but just moving from here to there was brutal with noise n vibrations....Hahaha...

Steve

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
As an aside, what camera and helmet mount system are you using?

OP
OP
gcmak

gcmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
As an aside, what camera and helmet mount system are you using?
In-cabin is the standard gopro suction mount with their longer arm - mounted to the hatch glass up near the third brake light. It's a Hero 7 Black recording in Linear.

On my helmet is an old knockoff action cam (Fitfort brand), stuck onto my helmet with two of the standard gopro type pivot joints and a standard gopro type curved helmet adhesive base. Quality is not good but I'm doing this for fun and am glad to be able to use some old gear thats frankly much smaller and lighter than a modern go-pro (which my neck appreciates).
Sponsored