Jmanlevan

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Supra 3.0 MT, '00 4Runner SR5
Hey all,

I decided to pull the trigger on a set of 19" Variant Evo Maxim wheels in Satin Black for my Supra.

19x10 in the front, 19x11 in the rear.

Their EVO line is a brand new, yet to be released, monoblock fully forged line of wheels.

Wanted to let you all know because they are currently offering 20% off for preorders so I jumped on that deal. I just happened to stumble upon these while looking at wheels online last night. Less than $3k for a set of fully forged wheels is kind of hard to find. The mesh style design isn't everyone's favorite for this car, but I personally love the design of the Maxim. It is exactly what I've been looking for in an aftermarket wheel.

Emailed Mike in sales this morning and eventually spoke to him on the phone later in the day and I could not be more impressed with the level of customer service and enthusiasm.

This is my first set of aftermarket wheels I have ever purchased for any car, so needless to say, I am VERY, VERY excited and can't wait for them to arrive and get mounted on my Supra!

They also have a bunch of their cold forged styles on sale right now too and the prices are insane (some of which are 50% off). If I didn't want a set of fully forged wheels, these are great options to consider, especially right now with the discounts they are offering.

https://variantwheels.com/
https://variantwheels.com/evo/
https://variantwheels.com/product/maxim/
https://variantwheels.com/cold-forged/

Screen Shot 2023-09-12 at 6.08.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-09-12 at 6.10.18 PM.png
Sponsored

Last edited:

PRMANManman

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Stratosphere MT Premium 3.0 Supra
I like the look. When is your expected delivery?

OP
OP
Jmanlevan

Jmanlevan

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tire question for those of you who are knowledgeable. Again these wheels will be
19x10 in the front, 19x11 in the rear. Offset and backspacing specs to come.

Car will be lowered on H&R lowering springs and fitment should be flush.

Mike at Variant suggested running the following tire sizes: 265 35 19 (fronts) 305 30 19 (rears) any particular reason why he would suggest a 30 series sidewall for the rears and not a 35 to match the fronts? Would I have any issues running a 35 in the rear?

Diablo

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Launch Edition / 2018 4Runner TRD
Tire question for those of you who are knowledgeable. Again these wheels will be
19x10 in the front, 19x11 in the rear. Offset and backspacing specs to come.

Car will be lowered on H&R lowering springs and fitment should be flush.

Mike at Variant suggested running the following tire sizes: 265 35 19 (fronts) 305 30 19 (rears) any particular reason why he would suggest a 30 series sidewall for the rears and not a 35 to match the fronts? Would I have any issues running a 35 in the rear?
Width. You’ll be fine.

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
Don't run a 35 in the rear. The 30 is appropriate.

OP
OP
Jmanlevan

Jmanlevan

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Don't run a 35 in the rear. The 30 is appropriate.
Can I ask why? Just because I admittedly don’t know. I’ve never purchased aftermarket/custom wheels or needed to buy different tires than OE sizes

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Can I ask why? Just because I admittedly don’t know. I’ve never purchased aftermarket/custom wheels or needed to buy different tires than OE sizes
It will give the rear wheel the correct diameter relative to the front wheel, and the car's traction control system will be happy. When the tire diameters are wrong, the TCS thinks the wheels are slipping and cuts power to the car.

OP
OP
Jmanlevan

Jmanlevan

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
It will give the rear wheel the correct diameter relative to the front wheel, and the car's traction control system will be happy. When the tire diameters are wrong, the TCS thinks the wheels are slipping and cuts power to the car.
Interesting, thanks! I’ve always wondered about stuff like that, especially when people go +1 on wheel size to fill the wheel well more. Like that’s gotta mess up the traction control and speedometer and distance meter etc.

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Interesting, thanks! I’ve always wondered about stuff like that, especially when people go +1 on wheel size to fill the wheel well more. Like that’s gotta mess up the traction control and speedometer and distance meter etc.
It does mess things up if you don't make the tire thinner to compensate. Just by way of example, napkin math:

Let's say a 285/35 18" tire is OEM. If you wanted to go up to 19" wheel, you'd take the tire down to 285/30 because the one inch you gain in wheel diameter is offset the by one inch lost by reducing the tire aspect ratio from 35 -> 30. So 285/35R18 is the same diameter as 285/30R19! That's how you can +1 the wheel without screwing anything up.

RWD cars with traction control systems also behave normally when the diameter ratio between rear and front is preserved. Just for the sake of easy math, let's say the OEM rear wheel is 1000mm with tire and the front wheel is 950mm. 1000/950 = 1.052. In other words: the rear is 1.052% larger. Whatever you choose next should be 0.97x to 1.03x (±3% of 1.052%), meaning the rear could be larger by 1.020 - 1.084 and the car would likely be happy. The rear is still larger just like OEM, and it's larger within a range of values that wouldn't piss off the TCS.

If the rear wheel total diameter with tire is smaller than the front or WAY bigger than expectation, the car won't see the correct revolutions per minute on the wheel speed sensors. The car will think the wheels are slipping. TCS will constantly trigger, which makes the car jerk around and cut power.

OP
OP
Jmanlevan

Jmanlevan

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
It does mess things up if you don't make the tire thinner to compensate. Just by way of example, napkin math:

Let's say a 285/35 18" tire is OEM. If you wanted to go up to 19" wheel, you'd take the tire down to 285/30 because the one inch you gain in wheel diameter is offset the by one inch lost by reducing the tire aspect ratio from 35 -> 30. So 285/35R18 is the same diameter as 285/30R19! That's how you can +1 the wheel without screwing anything up.

RWD cars with traction control systems also behave normally when the diameter ratio between rear and front is preserved. Just for the sake of easy math, let's say the OEM rear wheel is 1000mm with tire and the front wheel is 950mm. 1000/950 = 1.052. In other words: the rear is 1.052% larger. Whatever you choose next should be 0.97x to 1.03x (±3% of 1.052%), meaning the rear could be larger by 1.020 - 1.084 and the car would likely be happy. The rear is still larger just like OEM, and it's larger within a range of values that wouldn't piss off the TCS.

If the rear wheel total diameter with tire is smaller than the front or WAY bigger than expectation, the car won't see the correct revolutions per minute on the wheel speed sensors. The car will think the wheels are slipping. TCS will constantly trigger, which makes the car jerk around and cut power.
Awesome, thanks for that explanation! So the recommended tire sizes of 265 35 19 front and 305 30 19 rear are correct for these 19x10 +26 and 19x11 +37 wheels then. Having the different aspect ratios was throwing me off.

OP
OP
Jmanlevan

Jmanlevan

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
They’re finally here! They look better in person. The pic makes them look shinier & brighter, they’re a nice, dark satin black. Excited to get the tires on them and get them on the car!

IMG_5844.png

IMG_5843.png