WAZE voice alerts??

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
I hope I'm not missing something obvious but Waze voice alerts are not playing in my Supra. I'm simply getting the same alert tone used for all the other notifications. Almost drove into a speed trap yesterday because of this. I'm 99% sure it has nothing to do with my phone or Waze app settings as I still get voice alerts in my Malibu and my wife's F-150.

Is this something that has to coded? That would be ok by me as I'm already looking to pick up the OBD adapter to address the daytime screen brightness issue and maybe a few other odds and ends. Speaking of, Amazon has an OBDLinkCX for half the cost of an MX+. It says it is specifically for use with Bimmercode. Does anyone know if this actually works? I've not seen the CX version mentioned in any of the coding threads I've read.

Thanks for the help everyone!
Sponsored

Tsar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
By voice alerts do you mean "Police reported ahead" and all that? You sure yours isn't just on silent - because I do get them?

Also, for w/e reason my Waze never works right when initialized from my phone but if I initialize it from the car then it works fine. Go figure. By not working right I mean the screen remains frozen and my movement isn't reported on the car's screen until I unlock my phone screen. (Waze is allowed to access my location, I made sure to check on my phone).

Last edited:
OP
OP

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
By voice alerts do you mean "Police reported head" and all that? You sure yours isn't just on silent - because I do get them?

Also, for w/e reason my Waze never works right when initialized from my phone but if I initialize it from the car then it works fine. Go figure. By not working right I mean the screen remains frozen and my movement isn't reported on the car's screen until I unlock my phone screen. (Waze is allowed to access my location, I made sure to check on my phone).
Thanks for the reply. Yes, it's the "police reported ahead" I'm referring to. Mine is just playing the car's notification "ding" instead. I just double checked my phone settings to confirm not on silent and notifications and allow location is on in Waze. Everything is set correctly and it otherwise operates normally except for the alerts. It's strange yours plays the voice alert and mine doesn't.

I think I'll try deleting my phone adding it back. Could be the same philosophy for other random unexplained computer issues. An IT guy at my work shared his "computer haiku" strategy for issues where there's no apparent cause: Chaos reigns within. Reflect, repent, reboot.

Tsar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Well, I just uninstalled then reinstalled the app hoping that it would fix the phone initialization issue Iā€™ve been having ... now Waze wonā€™t work properly no matter where I start it from (car or phone). It still gives me voice directions but the map freezes as soon as my phoneā€™s screen is off. :crazy:

Good thing I donā€™t really use the app. Only installed it because it had Batmanā€™s voice in the fall - this is still annoying though. Google maps it is.

akasonny

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium (Downshift Blue)
Well, I just uninstalled then reinstalled the app hoping that it would fix the phone initialization issue Iā€™ve been having ... now Waze wonā€™t work properly no matter where I start it from (car or phone). It still gives me voice directions but the map freezes as soon as my phoneā€™s screen is off. :crazy:

Good thing I donā€™t really use the app. Only installed it because it had Batmanā€™s voice in the fall - this is still annoying though. Google maps it is.
Be sure the Waze app in your phone provides for operation in the background. If you have this off, the app will stop when either the screen goes black or when you switch to a non-Waze app. If iPhone, go to settings and search 'background'.

Tsar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Be sure the Waze app in your phone provides for operation in the background. If you have this off, the app will stop when either the screen goes black or when you switch to a non-Waze app. If iPhone, go to settings and search 'background'.
Yea, that's always been on - one of the first things I checked. Waze randomly started working sometime fine last week so I guess my post is now moot.
Sponsored